Another Cracker GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Another Cracker GF12

Post by Cracker Larry »

Does the 12 have the same amount of freeboard as the 16?
Yes, it does. Which is really a little too much for most uses of a 12' jonboat. Unless you use it like Smilin Matt 8) If I build any more of these I think I'll lower the sheer about 3". These really go together easy and quick, very neat little boats.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Cracker Larry wrote:
Yes, it does. Which is really a little too much for most uses of a 12' jonboat. Unless you use it like Smilin Matt 8) If I build any more of these I think I'll lower the sheer about 3". These really go together easy and quick, very neat little boats.
Yeah, I'm really thinking about building one for pond fishing. I like the idea of taking the sheer down a couple of inches.

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

Murry wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:
Yeah, I'm really thinking about building one for pond fishing. I like the idea of taking the sheer down a couple of inches.
Larry could probably doublecheck with a quick measurement, but I think cutting the sheer down by 2-3/16" would allow you to cut the transom straight across the back of the boat at 15-1/2". GF-12 Low Sheer?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Still moving along, heat's a little better today, down to 95. We got an early start and first pre-coated all the cleats with epoxy in preparation for glueing. We cheated and did this in the shop, with air conditioning 8) It's all labeled so I know where it goes and how it's oriented.

Then pre-coated the frames and sides for the cleats. Used a 4" roller for all the resin spreading. We put strips of plastic between the frames and the sides so we don't glue them together :wink:

After everything has a good coat of epoxy, we glued on all the cleats using a variety of clamping....

Took a little break then ripped all the strips for the rub rails..

And gave them a coat of epoxy on both sides..

Happy hour :D Tomorrow we'll glue these on, then she'll be ready to flip and install the bottom.
Larry could probably doublecheck with a quick measurement, but I think cutting the sheer down by 2-3/16" would allow you to cut the transom straight across the back of the boat at 15-1/2". GF-12 Low Sheer?
Sorry, I missed that AH. Do you want me to measure that?
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

CL, no need to bother. I just went out and sketched it up on my ply. To make the sheer level with the top of the transom (cut down to 15-1/2"), The side panel would need to be cut down 2-1/8". All of this talk about low sheer, I am tempted to make this mod since I haven't started cutting yet. Just thinking through the changes, leaving the rear seat at its current height, that would only give me about 1/2" of exposed transom and sheer...

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, I think you would need to drop the seats by the same amount you cut down the sheer to keep the proportions.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

A little more boat work this morning. We started by removing all the clamps from the seat cleats, and cleaned them up a little bit. Then rolled a coat of epoxy along the sheer line in prep for glueing on the rubrail. Rolled the extra epoxy anywhere I could. At this stage of the build, don't waste epoxy. Everything has to get a couple of coats anyway so I always spread the mixed leftovers on the hull somewhere.

Got the first layer of rubrail glued on, all around. Jeeezzzz, it's getting hot now. Dogs are inside.

I let them run long at the bow and stern and will trim them off flush later.

Taking a break while they dry. Hopefully it will take until tomorrow :wink:

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

...and then it was a boat! Great progress Larry!

I see you're going with 3/8 for the rubrail. 8) Are you going with 3/8 for the bottom as well?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No, 3/8 is just for the rubrail and because I had it, and 2 layers of 3/8 takes less labor and glue than 3 layers of 1/4. I'll also use some 3/8 for longitudinal frames under the middle and rear seats. My intentions are to divide the center and rear seat into 3 sections each. I'll fill the outboard sections of each with foam, 1 cubic foot each section, and the middle sections of each will be storage and bait well.

I'm selling this boat, and nobody will ever be able to say that one of my boats sank :lol:

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Cracker Larry wrote: I'm selling this boat, and nobody will ever be able to say that one of my boats sank :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I had similar thoughts on foam if I were to do this boat. That makes me feel less ignorant. :lol: