Another Cracker GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another Cracker GF12

Post by Arm&Hammer »

Cracker Larry wrote:Yes, I think you would need to drop the seats by the same amount you cut down the sheer to keep the proportions.
CL, I want to pick your brain on this a little. Having never been in a GF, I don't know how comfy the seating height is. I do know from fishing in some aluminum jons that a really low seat can be uncomfortable after a while, and are just not fun to fish out of all day if you have to stay seated. I am concerned that the seats won't "feel right" if I lower them 2". Your thoughts? Any concerns, safety or otherwise?

BTW, I have finally decided that I will be building my GF12 "Low Sheer". I have redrawn my parts, taking the sheer down 2 1/8" and reducing the beam by 3". I now have the nesting down to 5 sheets of ply, including rubrail. I am able to return my extra 1/2 sheet of ply that I bought, so my budget just got a little breathing room.

I promise to stop hijacking your thread and start my own once I have some pics. :)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

A&H I was in CL's 16 and the seats were fine with a standard boat cushion for me on about a 4-5hr fishing trip and I'm 6'3". Don't know if the 12's are the same height or not.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

AH, ergonomically "the average" person is comfortable with a seat height of 14-17 inches. If you measure some chairs around your house they will mostly be in this range. It's industry standard for furniture.

The GF rear seat is 15" and the center seat is 15 1/2. I made a GF12 for a neighbor a few years ago, he's a short fellow about 5-8 and he complained they were too high for him at 15", but Tom being tall likes a cushion on top of the 15" seat. I'm in between at 5-11 and feel too high sitting on a cushion. I built the seats on my OD at 14" and put 1 1/2" cushions on them. Just right for me 8) It depends on you. If it's too low, get a cushion :wink: A lot of aluminum jon boats have seats 10-12 inches, that's much too low for me. Sort of like Goldilocks and the 3 bears :lol:

Big storm brewing here, I think we're about to lose power again :help:
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, lost power again. It's that time of day when the moist sea-breeze hits the hot inland air. KaBoom!

We got the outer sections of rubrails glued on yesterday. No need for a pic, it's looks just like the inner sections did.

Working off and on today I trimmed the wild ends using a handsaw held flush to the transoms..

Then using a Sur-form and the RO sander we rough shaped them to match the curves of the hull..

Did some fine tuning and got them looking pretty good all around..

The bow is about finished

But the transom needs a little more work.

Once this storm blows past, we'll finish that up this evening :D
I promise to stop hijacking your thread and start my own once I have some pics.

Don't worry at all about that. That's why we're here anyway is to talk about boats. Ask away, just don't ask about golf. 8)
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The GF rear seat is 15" and the center seat is 15 1/2.
Sorry, I had a brain fart AH :oops: Might be the heat, might be the beer :doh: In any case those measurements are to the top of the frame, so add 1/2" for the seat tops to that, making them 15 1/2" and 16" respectively.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Larry,

Missed this thread till today. Was wondering if you had started, and then "Bam"!... You have a hull built! Looking good as expected. Hot enough up there?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Hot enough up there?
Just drove home from Savannah and the thermometer in the truck said 107 the whole way :help:

cape man

Post by cape man »

That's hot enough.... Ouch.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I thought it was alittle warm, while I was knocking out the yard work I've been neglecting. 4 hours in the yard and another 2 hrs of sanding/fairing. Long day=Cold beer :D

Will

PS I tried to get a kitchen pass this weekend to come fish, but to no avail. Apparently the honey do list was too long, and my wife is smart enough to know that my next 2 months I'll be working in the ICUs at the hospital, which means LONG days and spending the night in the hospital on call every 4 nights :cry: Maybe there will still be good fishing in Sept? If not the striper should be moving to shallower waters around then. Come on over, if nothing else I'm sure we can catch a decent buzz :wink:

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

Cracker Larry wrote:
The GF rear seat is 15" and the center seat is 15 1/2.
Sorry, I had a brain fart AH :oops: Might be the heat, might be the beer :doh: In any case those measurements are to the top of the frame, so add 1/2" for the seat tops to that, making them 15 1/2" and 16" respectively.
CL - Thanks for the very detailed seat analysis. Is there any part of a boat you haven't thought about. :wink:

For the midseat, it depends whether you are measuring from the front or rear frame. Considering that, when using this seat, the person would most likely be facing forward, the hull is starting to flare up, so the actual seat height in that location may feel even a little lower. After pondering it for a while, I am going to stick with the plan height. That also gives me a little more storage, keeping the access holes through the frames at the full height possible.

I started cutting tonight, but with a one year old and a 2-1/2 year old, it is slow going!