D5 weight in 4mm?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: D5 weight in 4mm?

Post by kiwi »

http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/arti ... /oars.html

Is another source for Jim Michalak's oar making page. We have paddles and Japanese sculling oars too! :D

Your D5 looks great. One thing I disagree with in other posts is the number of coats of epoxy - I am a 3 (three) thin coat guy. And if you do wet-on-wet there is no need to sand between coats (if you don't have runs). At least with quality epoxy that does not blush.

Cheers

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Cascadie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cascadie »

Thanks, Tony! The one thing I did differently from these instructions was to reduce the diameter at the loom end down to 1.75 in. I used ash and it is really stiff, and really heavy. I couldn't find the types of wood he called out here in central Oregon (at least not at the the lumberyard a block from the shop :oops: ), but I can see why he'd go that large if he were using pine. I think I'd also go with 8/4 stock since I have all the tools necessary to cut and shape. I'm beginning to see why oars are so expensive. It's a fun project, but a lot of work.
Just waiting on the oar locks ordered here, and a few piddly items.. then I'll launch either Thursday or Friday!

PJPiercey
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by PJPiercey »

Hi Cascadia,

Check out my gallery titled "spars". I used the birdsmouth technique to build a mast, two sprits, and a set of oars. I used clear vertical grain Douglas Fir, which is relatively cheap in the 1"x2" pieces I used to cut out the "staves". The staves are 1/4" thick. Kind of a fun project with some good info on the Internet if you google "birdsmouth mast". I learned about it from an article in Wooden Boat that was printed about 10 or more years ago.

Looking forward to more pics as you finish.

Paul

Cascadie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cascadie »

Paul,
My gosh, you're a busy builder, aren't you!? That technique is so cool, I just want to make something using it! I'll shape my 2nd oar today and I'm now under the gun to launch tomorrow, although my oar locks aren't here yet!

I have to launch tomorrow because it's an anniversary date that I hadn't even known, well I'd forgotten about it. The reason I built this boat was to get going with flyfishing our many local lakes but that was only half the story. My dad and I built a 12' dory when I was about 10 or 11. That poor old dory NEVER got down to the water, and it was around long enough for my son to play in it in the back yard. Dad and I felt terrible about it, and we always loved boats, and woodworking. We just had so many other projects going that we never really finished that old dory. He had really high blood pressure all his adult life, and had a couple of operations. Then he had a pretty good heart attack. The night before he went into heart surgery, I told him "Get better soon, we still have a boat to build", and he replied "yeah, we need to build another boat". Well, the surgery went well, but he died of complications. It turned out to be our last conversation. So all these years later, I have the time off to build this boat. So my sister emails me saying "what day are you launching the boat? Did you remember that the anniversary of Dad's death is July 23"? Out of the blue I decided to build this boat, have worked feverishly just wanting to get in the water, and I find out that the day I planned to launch turned out to be that anniversary. Talk about weird, huh? Even if I don't get the oar locks in time, I'm going to borrow a paddle and get the durned thing in the water, for my dad.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I love it. 8)

I lost my Dad while building my OD18, and we named it after him.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cascadie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cascadie »

I told my sister I couldn't name it after him, but I'm still considering. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. People tell you that "time heals all wounds" but I've found that it's not true. It hurts a little less with time, but the wound will always be there. I kind of like that, since it reminds me of our good times together.

Well, I went to the UPS tracking number for my oar jewelry and found out that it's out for delivery today! I'm on schedule after all. I don't generally believe that things like this work out in some greater economy but I'm wondering about it, today. I'm off to the sweatshop to finish those oars!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Yes, there are better words than *wierd*. 8)

The best selling book of all time has much to say about father/son relationship. Get that boat launched, even if you are just sitting there floating with the painter. :D

And take a few pictures, and keep taking them until you know you've got at least one excellent one for the memory. I'm sure many of us would like to see it. :)

As for a name, it may be overly grand for a dinghy, but not for the memory behind it.... how about *endurance*, with a small e? Capital E is probably more like a yacht or battleship, but small e just may work. :)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks for your kind words Cascadie. I'm also sorry for yours. Time seems to make the good times seem better and the bad times seem better too.
I told my sister I couldn't name it after him, but I'm still considering
I couldn't actually give it his name either, although we considered it for months. She started life as Blackjack and changed to Allie G after his passing. But then we settled on his favorite expression and named her "No Excuse". As in "there's no excuse for screwing that up, boy". He wasn't big on excuses :lol:

Don't dwell on it, let it evolve :wink: The boat will eventually let you know who she wants to be.

Good luck with the oars and oarlocks, and splash tomorrow. Toast your dad for me. At least that's what mine would have wanted. There wouldn't be no excuse for not having a toast :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

If these two can have a toast, you've certainly got no excuse!

Three people who were looking forward to a sail in MoF passed on before she was launched. My Dad is still holding out, maybe until the tabernacle is done, or this heat lets up.

You enjoy that launch and the memories! You won't be alone. It is a moment to remember. :D
Last edited by ks8 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Cascadie, I to lost a fishing and sailing buddy in my father-in-law when he was only 60. He had raced saliboats from a young age in Lightnings, and moved uo to a 30'Morgan CB. Later we fished in the western basin of Lake Erie for Walleye, SM Bass and Perch after he sold the Morgan and moved away from Cleveland, here is where I grew up fishing. He also taught me the nuances of the Mississippi River and her power. He was a civil war historian and all his boats were named for a battle cruiser Carondelet. So I will follow in his step foots and name my boats after his.

Just remember all the good times that you had as I do, and the name will come. I had several other names until we went out to the cabin on the Mississippi last fall saw his photo of him in his fannel shirt and duck back hat and it came to me to honor him

Memories are precious!

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy