Pluggin along with the FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pluggin along with the FL12

Post by JBing »

Thanks for the advice guys! She will stay the way she is then. I was just a little worried but once I installed the skeg she shored up a bit also! I have spent the last 2 days fairing and its been an interesting process so far. The weather has been pretty poor here the last few days so its allowed for a little longer pot life on the mix. I started off using a 30" painting edger and it worked ok, then I switched to an old sail batten my dad gave me and it have worked like a charm! The only down side to the weather is it has only allowed me to apply one coat per day :( My brother and I after a long discussion have decided not to fair the bottom. The bottom looks really and somehow is very true. In an effort to conserve epoxy we gave the bottom the old "Spanish Archer" so we can concentrate on what everyone will see, the sides. We also decided that instead of breaking the bank on marine paint we are going with porch paint. We held off too long on the great deals up the street on paint and lost out. So porch paint it is, 1 gallon of red and one gallon of white and at $45 for both I'd say its the more economical choice!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

JBing wrote:... So porch paint it is, 1 gallon of red and one gallon of white and at $45 for both I'd say its the more economical choice!
At least in the short term. Looking forward to the pictures with her dressed and ready for the dance. :)

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mguel »

I was able to find a brand of marine paint called Duralux. They make a Yacht Primer and top coat paint in many different colors. http://www.duraluxpaint.com/ You should check to see if there's a store that carries it near you. I primed my fl12 with the Yacht primer (roller). It's very thick and dried well, I then used white marine paint for the inside and gray for non-stick floors. You can see pictures on my forum. It's very affordable when compared to the high end stuff. But i will confess, while using it it didn't really seem much different than latex or porch paint. I paid 35 bucks per gallon of each color and for the primer!

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

just finished applying the second coat of fairing compound to the sides! the second layer went on a lot better than the first and the coverage was much better also. I have added a picture for all the critics :lol: I hope it dries in time so I might be able to do a good sanding tonight! There were a few ripples here and there but nothing too bad. After the inital sanding I should be able to drag a plastic spreader from the chine to the bottom of the rub rail to fill the ripples... BTW in the picture it looks like there are a ton of ripples but thats just the lighting, I had to do a double take myself :doh: Just though I'd put that disclaimer in there, I dont want anyone to think I suck that bad at this :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Isn't it neat watching it get more and more fair? Enjoy! :)

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

there should be a disclaimer in the plans stating how back breaking fairing is :lol: We put 2 coats of fairing compound on the sides and it came out really good so far! On the SB side there are just a few spots smaller than a dime that need to be filled where the putty pulled up while dragging. The Port side I think needs another coat, after a ton of sanding on that side there are still a few waves but nothing another coat shouldnt fix it. We bought the paint and primer yesterday. After we got home we notice in the sun that the paint was a little orange... :doh: But oh well, thats what we are going to use. There is plenty of time over the winter to repaint in full red but not too much time left to use the boat this season. You can see where are priorities are :wink:

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

I've read that putting your foot through the bottom of a properly designed boat... when it is in the water... is pretty much impossible. And, we all know that Bateau boats are very properly designed... so, no worries :-)
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

ks8 wrote:Isn't it neat watching it get more and more fair? Enjoy! :)
Is it ever! Like I said before I have received more joy from building this boat than any other project that I have completed in the past! Not to mention all the extra time I have been able to spend with my brother!!! Sometimes it seems that as one gets older life tends to get in the way of all pleasures that one enjoyed in the past. Building this boat with my brother has allowed us to spend time together that would have otherwise be eaten up doing the mundane day to day stuff! The biggest kick that I've received from this project is showing others the pictures of the progress to this point. It isn’t every day that one takes something like a few sheets of plywood and turns it into something it really wasn't intended to become :D That's only if that person doesn't belong to this community :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Cool... 8)

Now the next trick will be to recognize more of what makes it a joy, and learn how to carry that into the mundane. Of course it may take another boat build to finely hone that skill... :wink:

People are very nearly the most underestimated and *taken for granted* treasure of our experiences. :doh:

Remember the classic Twilight Zone episode of Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery as the last two enemies left alive from the world to end all wars? Rod Serling, you are missed.

Keep those pictures coming. ANd don't you dare splash her without bringing the camera. :D

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

We finished fairing the outside of the hull yesterday and had a chance to apply the last coat of epoxy this afternoon. We are really looking forward to putting the first coat of primer on next week, but how long should we wait to start? We started on the inside filling all the weave but ran into a snag and lost almost a half a pint of filler to the floor :x That couldnt have come at a worse time either because we are pretty much out of epoxy. we have just enough left to apply the final coat to the inside before paint but at the expense of not filling the weave and minor fairing to the transom seat area :( But we are ok with this, we have already exceeded our wildest expectations!!!! Stay tuned we will have some updated pics soon :D