Pluggin along with the FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pluggin along with the FL12

Post by JBing »

We started the old Seagull for the first time today! The previous owner said it hadn't been started in close to five years. 1 new spark plug, some fresh fuel and three pulls and he fired right up. Here is a link to the video.

http://m.youtube.com/profile?user=jbing ... =mv-google

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice engine. I have a 1958 model that's the same. It sat for almost 20 years, and started on the second pull after cleaning the plug and putting fresh gas in it. Remember to mix it 10:1. And make sure to fill the lower unit with each use. There is no positive seal there, so the lube is a mix of water and the 70W oil. I found a 5 gallon bucket of 70W oil for the lower unit that was actually just a few dollars more than a quart of the stuff at a specialty store. Look for an industrial lube supply company. They are almost bullet proof with just a small bit of TLC. Little dirty with all the oil, but the sound they make is actually pleasing to my ear. You won't go fast, but you will go far...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

We applied the first coat of primer today!! Its incredible how something like paint can really tie a project together! Over the past month or so we have been looking at a collection of different textures and colors I almost forgot what the final result would look like! We sanded, faired, primed and painted some scrap wood to get some idea of the results the porch paint would provide. To be honest we were stunned with how it turned out! It looks fantastic! We decided to go with a high gloss porch paint but the decision wasn't easy. Our fear was that a high gloss might show a ton of imperfections from a first time fairing job. That just goes to show that with the proper prep and attention to detail one can make any paint look amazing. Before the primer dried on the boat, and the sheen was lost, I could only find 3 barley noticeable imperfections! Not too bad if you ask me. All in all my brother and I are very pleased with how the outer hull has turned out! I look forward to posting pictures in the next few days, that is as soon as I find the USB for the camera! Lol. I always loose those damn things :)

cape man

Post by cape man »

When I primed my boat I was impressed as well. Feels good to make something so pretty doesn't it! You're gonna love it when you put the real paint down! Find that USB and give us some pics.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

here are a couple of the pictures i promissed. The one is with the trailer we just bought and the other is with just primer. enjoy :D

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

hey guys here are a few more pictures of the fl 12. We finally finished painting the hull this week! My camera kinda washed out the colors a little bit, it is actually a much more vivid red. Next step is the inside! Enjoy

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

Oh yeah! I bought the trailer in the above picture for $25. It needed work but for $25 who cares, right? Until I removed the deck a few days later! Under the deck was completely rusted through!!! So I scraped it and made $50 lol! I ended up at Harbor Frieght and bought a new 4x8 trailer for $270 on sale. Plus this one fits next to the garage! Here she is!

cape man

Post by cape man »

she's beautiful. Nice finish.

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

thanks! We are very pleased with the results so far. With any luck we are hoping to have her in the water next weekend! I was debating putting floor epoxy in the garage this summer. After looking at the "boat" outline on the floor its a sure thing this fall :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

So, I suppose after you paint the floor, you'll have to build another boat and re-establish a boat outline on the floor. :P

She's looking good! :)