SD11...hopefully!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: SD11...hopefully!

Post by ks8 »

If you can get a good fillet and tape seam under there, I don't think anyone will object. That's what I did, with biax tape. If my knees go, I already have more serious problems. :)

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I put a fillet and tape under mine, too. 8)
CC, D15, V10

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

cleat or fillet/tape, its an easy place to reach.

How did your bottom panel come out? I think I would try to make a butt block for the inside that somewhat followed the shape of the splice, a glass splice that long and curved might be difficult to make - fair at least

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

shine wrote:...How did your bottom panel come out? I think I would try to make a butt block for the inside that somewhat followed the shape of the splice, a glass splice that long and curved might be difficult to make - fair at least
Turned out great. Good idea on the butt block. I think it will be fairly easy and somewhat out of the way. Honestly, I need to go look at it. Can't really remember how close it is to the frame.

Got my knees cut and centerboard case built tonight. Rubrail is 2/3 of the way done. I'm going to wait until I have a few things to glue up before mixing any more epoxy. I feel like I'm waisting too much..

BTW, the center board case and daggerboard trunk are the same thing, right????

Marty

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Although this may be an oversimplification, generally, a daggerboard gets pushed down or lowered into the slot, and then lifted up out of it. A centerboard is typically pivoted and pivots down into the water, or is pivoted back up into the trunk. Trunk and case have been used interchangeably, but there is a functional difference between a daggerboard and a centerboard, in the way in that they are lowered into and lifted up out of the flow of water; pivot, or, more of a straight drop or lift... sort of. A centerboard is more likely to kick-up if you strike something with it while moving forward, although some daggerboards can be designed to do that as well. Centerboards can be adjusted to vary the CLR a bit in some boats, although some daggerboard designs can also do that a little. See what I mean by an oversimplification? :) Just think *pivot bolt* with centerboards and and no pivot bolt with daggerboards, and that will be a good generalization. :)

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

Update: Been a while since my last post. Not much to report, except that the bottom is almost ready for some paint. First coat of primer.

Later FP

bensanders
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bensanders »

Looking good Marty! Have you decided what mast/sail you're going with?

dale1956
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dale1956 »

Marty,
Back at it. Great! a little break? 2 years is a little. Hey, no worry. I took an 18 month break. Looking at your thread brings back lots of memories. I can see those lines in my head. Looking forward to your progress and more pics.
Dale

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I haven't seen this before but that is some nice looking work Flatpicker. I like the lines especially the bow/entry.