My first boat! FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: My first boat! FL12

Post by peter-curacao »

JamesT wrote: the bow fillet didnt cure properly, its still tacky to the touch.
Maybe wait a little more before removing it?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Give it 48 hours with heat on it and if it is not cured use a putty knife to scrape as much out as possible. Then use some actone to remove the amount that is left. and wash with water.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

OK...out comes the heat gun, or maybe let the protable heater blow on it overnight, that sounds a little better.

My arm may get a little tired if i have to hold the heat gun there for 48 hours...lol.

thanks guys, wish me luck!
Dont outsmart your common sense!

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

Added some foam, a little framing for a battery box, some storage area in the middle seat, should get the bow seat top and the transom seat top glued up today....then rubrail, breasthook, knees, a little hardware, then the fun part (sanding, sanding....a little more sanding) Just ordered more epoxy and some fairing compound, should get here next week. Hope to get this thing painted before it gets too cold.

Been researching on the next one....lol, it s like a drug or something....thinking of going with a sailboat, never been sailing so that should be fun!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

OK...out comes the heat gun, or maybe let the protable heater blow on it overnight, that sounds a little better.

My arm may get a little tired if i have to hold the heat gun there for 48 hours...lol.
A heat gun is WAY too hot! The epoxy will be damaged if it gets much over 160. It only needs room temperature heat, not a couple hundred degrees. A light bulb is usually enough.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

i only used the heat gun for a couple of mins...moving it along like a blow dryer....i just got it gooey and scrapped it off...just redone it wasnt that big of an area. Needed more epoxy anyway, so a couple of mistakes wouldnt hurt. I sure do like how the epoxy and filler covers up my woodworking skills...lol...dont think i could cut a straight line if my life depended on it. :D

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

Ok here's a couple more pics of the progress. The inside is done barring primer and paint. Got all the seams filled and a good coat of epoxy to seal everything up.

I was really pleased how when sanding i knocked down the edge of the fiberglass, then after applying my seal coat of epoxy you can hardly feel a ridge there at all, hopefully should make for some minimal fairing, although will probably just use the quickfair to fill the weave.

The weather is starting to turn here in north texas, so its slowing the progress down, hardly had a 50 degree day here in two weeks. So i guess im looking for some economical suggestions for heating the garage.

its a standard 2 car garage, that you couldnt put one car in if you wanted to...lol. I was thinking of tarping off half of it and then using a portable heater, but not for sure if that would be enough? Maybe get one of those elements that go on top of a 5 gall propane tank?

Well till next time, Merry Christmas!! or to all you politicians out there Happy Holidays! :D

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

Sanding the outside fiberglass. Using Quickfair, working really well, seems a lot like auto body filler. Apply, sand, sand, sand...apply some more, sand, sand. But its all good, will be ready for primer before you know it!

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT »

first coat of paint. I didnt fair anything on the inside, that paint sure does cover up really nice, because its a light color it even covers the tape pretty well too.

Liking it more and more every day! :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Wasn't that a pile of wood a few days ago? Nice... moving quick! :D How's the temps there now? If you are using the waterbased primer and paint, you don't want that to freeze before fully cured, or in the can. Keep that indoors until temps permit proper use. :)