George's Wyoming FL-14 **SPLASHED**

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

George's Wyoming FL-14 **SPLASHED**

Post by gstanfield »

Well, my wife and I have had a rough year in terms of work, money, our children's health, money, time and money 8O

It turns out we just need a break and something to do together. After some talking, a little pleading and flashing my beautiful smile she agreed that bulding a boat would be good for us. We decided to build something that the four of us (twin daughters about to turn two) can enjoy on the river and small lakes. I picked the FL14 and ordered some epoxy, bought some halfway decent plywood - the best I could find in central Wyoming is still not great, and ordered the plans. Last night we cut out the pieces and glued together the sides. Tonight we glued together the sheets for the bottom and started assembling the sides and inside frames. Right now we need to cut the bottom and get it stiched on the rest and then we can start laying some fillets and epoxy down.

Well, that's about all for now, we've all seen build pics of these boats so I'll just throw up a couple of pics to show where we are in the build and then keep adding pics as we progress. These first few pics are cell phone pics taken in low light so they aren't the best. As I go on I will use my nice camera, but for now poor quality is just fine.

Here it is flipped over cause we just had to see what it is going to be like when finished.

I have to go back to work for the next three days, but then I have four days off so we'll get a lot of progress done each week. I love my job and I love only working 14 days a month, just wish the pay was a tad better. Oh well, you can't have everything.

George
Last edited by gstanfield on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: The "Marriage counselor" FL14 build

Post by ks8 »

Sure looks like everything is all squared up nice in that picture. Nice. :)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Good for you guys, may you have many happy memories of this project, my wife and I have been married 34+ years doing projects together like this. Let us know if we can help in any way. Your well on the way as it stands, looking good.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

George, welcome to the forum. Your boat is looking great. I built a FL14 and it's a great little boat. Nice that your wife is building it with you. My wife comes out in the shop and looks at the boat once in awhile :wink: She does go night fishing with me though :D and once she seen that it floats she ok'd me to build another bigger boat :D :D
You and your family will have alot of fun in it.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have a lot of little modifications planned, nothing to add much weight, a couple pounds or so, but I think it will improve on the versatility of the boat while adding a little cool factor here and there :)

I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag though, you'll just have to wait and see as they transpire.

George

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

gstanfield wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I have a lot of little modifications planned, nothing to add much weight, a couple pounds or so, but I think it will improve on the versatility of the boat while adding a little cool factor here and there :)

I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag though, you'll just have to wait and see as they transpire.

George
Not a problem, but I will tell ya, I got Sirrus Radio with built in speakers on mine :D It's nice and relaxing out on the lake all night fishing :D
Looking forward to seeing your mods???
Completed: FL14, OD18

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

As much as I like my sirius I am more than happy to leave it behind when I am drifting the river or out playing with the girls. My ideas are simple ones, but they will add to the experience. I don't want to go ionto detail just yet, I need the boat to be a little closer to slash time first. I'll be posting more pics by the end of the week as the boat gets some epoxy on it.

George

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Welcome to the group George,

Sorry to hear about the tough year, but it sounds like you all are weathering the storm pretty well. I tried to get my wife out there, but the first time I handed her the fairing board she looked at me and said, "you gotta be kidding." After that I get occassional "How's it goings" or "When are you going to get done with this thing?" but it was pretty cool when I flipped the boat on the trailer and I called her out......."WOW, that looks AMAZING" was the response :D :D :D Here's to a better year.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Manny
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Manny »

Nice.... Very clean work !
St.Louis, Mo

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

thanks,
George