FL12 - NW Trout - ***SPLASHED***

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FL12 - NW Trout

Post by NW Trout »

Nothing exciting enough to warrant photos.

Glassed the transom and mid-seat tops in. Cured and flipped. Sunday was nice enough to sand outside. Hit all the edges and rounded most over nicely. A few had larger than expected gaps where the internal fillets didn't fill in all the way. Wetted them out with epoxy and then went to work with wood flour thickened epoxy to fill and touched up/smoothed over with putty knief. Setting up now. I'll come back at them tomorrow and sand in prep for glassing the chines, bow and transom exterior.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Latest updates

laying out tape for chines and seams

Wetting out the glass

Getting child labor involved

After attaching skeg and front strakes for protection

Light sanding to knock down high spots in epoxy prior to fairing

Mixing QuikFair by weight - 100 parts to 44 parts, 50 to 22, 25 to 11 which is just about what this is. Grams was changing back and forth from 35 to 36.

filling the weave and fairing the edges

After the first pass of QuikFair and light 80 girt sanding.

Second pass with QuickFair is on and will likely do a third to make things nice and smooth.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

quadradomus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by quadradomus »

Smooth as a babie's B- hind. :oops:

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Update:

Sanded the 2nd pass of Quick fair.

Recoated entire exterior with epoxy to seal QuikFair and bare wood exposed by sanding

Light sanding pass with boards with 80 grit, 1 coat of primer SilverTip Primer. Waited 10 hours or so and hit it with a second as I really needed the high build properites. Waited 3 days.

Sanded again - 80 grit. A bit more QuikFair since not happy with my first attempt to smooth things out. (Told myself I wouldn't stress with the bottom - work boat appearance - but I am) 5 hours later a light sand with 100 grit. Sides look good though.

Another primer coat. Waited another 3 days. Better but still some areas to touch up. More QuikFair and another sanding with 100 grit.

Another overall primer coat. Couple days later, a bit more sanding in some areas, followed by what I'm calling last primer coat, currently curing in the garage.

Now the decision is what to top the primer with - both paint brand and color. I will ikely will go with S3 WR-LPU Orcas White or Whidbey White for main parts and Shaw Blue for accents/boot stripe, plus clear coat for bright work on rub rail, seat top hatches, knees and breast hook.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Nice work. The paint scheme sounds good too. The orcas white would give the classis white and blue combo.
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Latest update.

Let the SilverTip primer more than fully cure - something like 3+ weeks - while focusing on family visits and other duties.

Got back to it this weekend. The plus side to our typical spring weather here in the NW is the temps are fairly steady in the garage at 60 degrees and humidity is around 80-85%. The System Three WR-LPU Orcas White went on fine with no dilution on a test board.

I was able to roll and tip two coats uncrosslinked down on Saturday, followed by a light sand and then 2 coats of crosslinked paint down on Sunday. All coats were undiluted and flowed out well.

Smooth and glossy enough for my liking. Feels very tough too. I plan to do another light sand with 320 and put down one more coat and call it good.

How long after a final coat should I wait before flipping the hull to get back to the interior work?
Last edited by NW Trout on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice paint job. All your prep paid off! Unless you are in a hurry, I'd let it sit till next weekend before flipping it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Oh.. and for other FL12 builders information regarding paint amounts:

For the exterior of the hull painting, it took about 6 oz per coat of the S3 WR-LPU, undiluted, using the roll-and-tip method. Used a West foam roller and cheap foam brush to tip and applied using the pour method shown in the BoatBuilderCentral YouTube clip.

As mentioned did a total of 5 coats over S3 primer. Looks very nice IMHO.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

quadradomus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by quadradomus »

I am thinking somewhere before you said you were going to leave the interior "Bright" I am hoping you did just that. I would like to leave my interior natural also. Can't wait til you flip that thing over and post some detailed pics. :D

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Quad
After further reflection, parts will be bright, but most will be painted. This is the first one and things I'm learning on this build will translate into the next build - likely a drift boat.

Great spring day in Seattle, so finished up the sanding/grinding/brushing rust and old of the craig's list trailer find. Not perfect but close enough. Rustoleum brown heavy rust primer to seal it tight and then flat black enamel. Need to pick up some new nuts & bolts to reattach bunks, fenders and other. Might get the new light kit on this evening or tomorrow morning.

Added plush shaggy carpet to the dolly's bunks in prep for flipping. Temps around 70° and humidity between 75% and 80%. Might push it out until Tuesday evening to give the hull coat a full week of cure time before flipping.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA