FL12 - NW Trout - ***SPLASHED***

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FL12 - NW Trout

Post by Larry B »

Thats some nice clean work there. Boat is looking great. You'll be proud to go out in her, I know I would :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Really looking good!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looks great. I build the FL14 with the intent to use it as a small lake boat and drift boat on the north Platte river. When you build the drift boat, be sure to show us some pics of it, I'm sure it will turn out very nice as well.

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

to give the hull coat a full week of cure time before flipping.
Good choice.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Latest updates.

Waited 8 days before flipping the hull. Went easy since its light and the neighbor's college boy is healthy!

Working up / drawing out ideas for breasthook. Its' a 1/4 ply glued to a 3/8 ply. Same for the knees

Breasthook cut out.

Glue and clamping wood corner molding. It works as the wire conduit between the transom and mid-seat.

Taking advantage of a rare 70+ degree day to speed the cure of wire conduit gluing and overall coat of epoxy on remaining interior raw wood.

Matthew priming the bow compartment prior to gluing seat top.

Bow seat primed and ready for gluing.

Completed conduit. Turned out well IMHO.

First pass on quikfair and sanding. Unfaired spots in foot wells will be done with no-slip texture to help hide my cheapness. :wink: Did one more, sanded and currently has two coats of primer on. Now I can see my misses and pinholes. Will hit that with more QF and primer again later.

And I think we've finally settled on a name. Play on old family name from Mom's side of the tree. And Matthew would have been called Ketch if I was closer on my guess for his birth weight.

Hope to get last bit of primer on today and then spend Father's Day starting roll-n-tip.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

cape man

Post by cape man »

Man you are working quickly now! Looking sharp...looking sharp. Love the conduits.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good, nice application of child labor :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

NW Trout
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NW Trout »

Well.. outside of a bit of touch up here and there... We're calling Ketch'Em done.
I'm pleased with how the boat turned out. I know all the flaws, drips, runs, etc of it and I'm okay with it. I'll likely do some touch up to fix one or two things but I've learned alot that hopefully will be put to use on the next boat project

Side shot with S3's Shaw Blue strip.

Bow detail (a bit of 3m 5200 sealant showing under the cleat).

Bow eye is a bit lower than I like. Sealed it well. May redo next winter.

Rear seat detail. Thru-hull is used to allow pass thru of MinnKota QuickConnect.

Mid seat showing other end of battery wires, battery tie down and another mistake. In recessing the hinges in the seat lid, the screws protrude thru the remain thickness of the plywood. I'll like epoxy some small pads and cut out the frame battens for clearance next fall.
Oar pad and lock detail.

Need to rework the name design for the decal. Lines are a bit too fine for cut vinyl.

Bird's eye view

The builders: Brian (lead inspector), John (laborer), Matthew (lead assistant)

Thanks to Jacque, Shine and all those at Bateau for their insight, design, comments, etc.

Thanks to all the forum members for sharing their builds, successes, fails, opinions, suggestions, positive comments and encouragement.

thanks... now... onto making bunks for the trailer and hoping to get this splashed Friday or Saturday.
-John
aka NW Trout

Seattle, WA

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FL12 - NW Trout - Done!

Post by sitandfish »

Great looking! Love the blue stripe next to the bright work rail. Nicely detailed. Now... get to fishing. :wink:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: FL12 - NW Trout - Done!

Post by ks8 »

Really looks good! :)

Cut vinyl for the name... then paint the rest... very carefully. You might even be able to screen on the rest, but I don't know how well the textile ink/paint would grip the topcoat paint. Is that all S3 LPU?