Yet Another D4 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Yet Another D4 Build

Post by sitandfish »

nonsly wrote:Things are progressing. Got the skeg glued on and covered with Dynel. Currently about 3/4 of the way through fairing the outside of the hull.
Also orderd some boat jewelry: gudgeons, pintles and bow ring, all bronze.
Looks like you are putting in some quality time on this dingy. And the bronze will be a nice reward for those efforts. This will be a great addition to your fleet. :wink:

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

After some long intervals of inactivity, the anticipation of a short cruise finally motivatied me to get this dinghy finished enough to be usable under oars. Here are a couple of photos of it tethered to the mother ship at a mooring.

Here is a photo of it stowed on the foredeck.

So far, I've only rowed myself around in it. It rows nicely, is reasonably stable and draws lots of compliments. As Justin predicted, it could use a plug for the centerboard trunk and I think I will also add some type of drain valve arrangement for towing. I'm still scrounging around for an inexpensive used rig from an Opti, Walker Bay 8 or the like so I can go sailing too.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

:) :) :)

bratzcpa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bratzcpa »

I purchased a fairly inexpensive sailing rig (mast, boom, sail, and a few lines) from this seller on eBay for use on my D5. I received it the other day and it seems pretty good. Nice hardware.

the mast seems a little "un-substantial" to me, but so far, it's holding up great.

Sure can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-SQF-SAIL-RIG ... 27bd8d5bde

~markb

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

Intriguing option but I would be a little nervous buying a sail from someone who calls a lateen sail a "latin" sail.

Anyway, my scrounging has paid off and I just picked up a used rig from an 9' MK Dinghy (built by Cape Cod Ship Building). It is a Bermudian headed (Marconi) sail with aluminum spars and the sail area is supposed to be 45 sq. ft. but I haven't actually measured it.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

more pictures... :)