frazoo's Honker "14"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: frazoo's Honker "14"

Post by frazoo »

Forward deck roughed in (VERY roughed in!).

I changed my mind about the mixed hardwoods for the decking when I saw the price of good wood today 8O .
This project started as a budget boat and I'm gonna finish it as a budget boat. BUT, 'budget boat' doesn't have to be a dirty word. I'll stain the strips alternating light and dark, have the near same look/effect, but save $100.00 + dollars.

I chose to post the pics of the decking in its very roughest state for a reason. When I started my first boat using this stitch and glue method, I thought, "damn, these things look rough". On completion however, they can look damned nice as many of your builds have been a testiment to. I hope a newbie like myself will see this at the 'ugly' stage and compare it to the finished product and rather than being discouraged, find some hope and encouragement to continue on with their build, because it will look better in the end.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I think it's gonna look great :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

It will look super stain can make an immense change in the look of any wood! Use a water based stain so that it absorbs into the wood and will not affect the epoxy over it. It means a little sanding as the water based stain will sometimes raise the grain. But the overall look will be great! :D

Your doing a great job and should be proud of what you have done! When it is finished I think you will like the finished result. :wink:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Battens going in to support rear deck. Final coats of neat epoxy applied under decking.

Rear deck in its final location, glued in. If you look in the lower portion of the pic, you can see the "bigger hammer" I am so fond of :D

... use a bigger hammer.
Strip Canoe (failed)

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Well, another change of plans, tried to stain a sample strip dark, it looked like crap, very muddy looking. So, I decided to go with neat epoxy on strips and the rear deck, then will coat thin cloth for checking and couple coats of UV protection.

Decided to stop the strips where you see, and lay in a solid deck to the bow because of the bowmount trolling motor. Right now I'm thinking of painting the boat exterior a carolina blue, natural finish on strips and rear deck and some off white color for the interior. Section where the bowmount motor will go will be the carolina blue also.

I want an "adjustable seat" arrangement, thinking about some kind of L shaped runners/rail that a seat can easilly be moved forward or back.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Strip Canoe (failed)

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

I can't take it any more!...The garage will be cleaned out and the plans will be ordered this weekend. :)

I'll also find a spot for some bright finish. 8)

Rob

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

So, I decided to go with neat epoxy on strips and the rear deck, then will coat thin cloth for checking and couple coats of UV protection.
Good choice! Will be gorgeous, and the epoxy alone will darken the wood considerably. Beautiful work!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

cape man wrote: can't take it any more!...The garage will be cleaned out and the plans will
:D Rob, this is a FAST build. Or would be for an average person, I'm just slooowwwww. You will really enjoy how quickly it will come together for you.
cape man wrote: Beautiful work!
Thank you very much cape man, but my meager attempts don't deserve that kind of praise (does make me feel good, though :) ).

I am looking for an inlay/onlay to center on the rear deck, something like a duck or goose. I found some on a kayak kit site, but would like to find something maybe a grade or two better than those.

Will be off work to work on boat Monday and Tuesday.

frazoo
Edit, SWMBO gave me a reprieve on the eviction notice. Said if this boat handles well, I have to build her and my daughter one to use. BUT, theirs has to be that "pretty wood" :roll:
... use a bigger hammer.
Strip Canoe (failed)

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Frazoo,

Before you finalize seat arangement it would be a good idea to float the boat and get an idea of stability.I've seen leaning posts on boats smaller than this.I hope to pull off such an arangement.It shure would make fishing more pleasant.

I may very well try to do both gas and a small trolling motor.I'll try the gas out first and see how well the boat can be polled.I picked up my little Merc 3.3 as a kicker for a sailboat.Sailing clubs are good places to find tiny outboards.I think I paid $300 for mine and its like new.

I got a nice suprise today.I thought I had two gallons of epoxy in the garage.As it turned out I've got three.It looks like its just mean't to be :D

I think we need to get our stories straight here.When people walk up and look at your H14 and ask what the heck it is,a good answer might be "its a custom composite motorized fishing kayak",just kinda rolls of the tongue. :wink:

Rob

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Rob Eades wrote:Frazoo, "its a custom composite motorized fishing kayak",just kinda rolls of the tongue. :wink:Rob
I was thinking about calling it a conyak, but it might confuse people and make them thirsty.
... use a bigger hammer.
Strip Canoe (failed)