PrometheusNL FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PrometheusNL FL12

Post by PrometheusNL »

Another question.

The white on the glass tape.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1153351433 ... 4723071954

This is a filler i made by hand to fill out the class weave on the glass tape. This is epoxy mixed with glass microbaloons and a thickening agent. Later i bought a product also an epoxy based filler but ready mixed. This is the green stuff you see in the later pictures.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Hank

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

So life happened...

But then you finsh your project and splash her.

and Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyx89dOWL8

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Prachtig!

Well done and she moves fast with that trolling motor.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I checked out your picasa site. Great documentation. I can't believe you built both cardboard and plywood models in the planning stage.
I'm basically copying your color scheme with minor alterations. Until seeing your shots I hadn't considered leaving the laminated gunwales clear but it looks very good that way...although I have an inwale or shear clamp, on the inside instead of the outside, and as it gets interrupted by the frames, I haven't sorted a nice way to do it.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A plywood laminated rubrail looks good.
There is trick to have it look even better: stain some of the strips a dark color and alternate layers.

The plans do not show a sheer clamp in most small boats. Those boats are often cleaned ashore by rolling them on the side. The sheer clamp catches the dirt.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

jacquesmm wrote:Prachtig!

Well done and she moves fast with that trolling motor.
I kinda over killed it on the trolling motor got a good "European Cragslist deal" its a 54 LB motor suitable for a 1750 kg boat ..

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

terrulian wrote:I checked out your picasa site. Great documentation. I can't believe you built both cardboard and plywood models in the planning stage.
I'm basically copying your color scheme with minor alterations. Until seeing your shots I hadn't considered leaving the laminated gunwales clear but it looks very good that way...although I have an inwale or shear clamp, on the inside instead of the outside, and as it gets interrupted by the frames, I haven't sorted a nice way to do it.

I basicly did what i thought might look good and i almost felt guilty covering up all the wood in white and blue so the rubrail and exposed wood was my way of showing off the wood construction.

when i tell them it only weighs 45 Kg ISH (90 lbs) they don't beleve me.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The plans do not show a sheer clamp in most small boats.
The shear clamp was necessitated by the restriction of the width of the boat to get it into my van. I still haven't tried it and won't know it fits until the boat is finished.
Those boats are often cleaned ashore by rolling them on the side. The sheer clamp catches the dirt.
Yes, I'm concerned about this but had no choice other than to put it on top of the van which would have been very difficult to do alone.
when i tell them it only weighs 45 Kg ISH (90 lbs) they don't beleve me.
I'm not going to come close to than and my boat is a V10. I glassed the bottom and seats, doubled the knees and breasthook, and done a lot of fairing. Still, I'm surprised those bits added as much weight as they did.
Tony