SUP build - Shine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: SUP build - Shine

Post by ks8 »

jacquesmm wrote:... I was thinking of a small sail manageable by a beginner. A sail to bring you home, not break records. No harness.
The mast step will increase the weight by 1 or 2 lbs.
My thoughts exactly. How about a DB or CB be easily fitted, along with a kickup rudder, the thought being that an SUP like this might be commonly used in the skinny waters. I'm thinking a drop-in DB that can kickup half its beam into a CB case. The reasoning being that it could then have a lower aspect ratio (stubbier for skinny water), cause no *bump* in the deck, and be easily and completely removed just by pulling it straight up and out when it is fully deployed downward on its pivot (the pivot being part of the removable assembly). A spare shorter paddle can be adapted to be fitted as a rudder.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

You don't need a rudder at all with a sailboard rig The mast step is articulated at the base and you use the CE of the sail to steer. Tilt the sail forward and let it out and the board turns downwind, lean the sail back and trim it in and the board turns upwind.

You can by replacement centerboard/daggerboard boxes for sailboards off the shelf that you could just drop in and glass in place.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

hp010101
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hp010101 »

I learned something about fins today.

Wife's board is about 25 pounds and bulky for her.
It slipped out of her hand while lunching off the dock and snapped 1 of the 3 fins off on the edge of our dock.

Since the fins on her board slide into a slot and are held in place with a set screw it is absolutely not a big deal. We just get a new fin and pop it in.

Now I noticed that the fins you set on this board are going to be a bit more work to replace if knocked off or is it impossible to knock off without removing a large chunk of hull as well?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

this one is finished, when the epoxy cures i will weigh it. Its not perfect, but it looks good. We will build one last prototype to improve the building technique.

Now I noticed that the fins you set on this board are going to be a bit more work to replace if knocked off or is it impossible to knock off without removing a large chunk of hull as well?
You can put in a fin boz if you want, it would not be hard. You would just have to install it into the bottom before you put the board together, then sand it flush. It adds weight, build time, and cost; all of which I wanted to minimize for this board :)

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Very nice Shine, something I could be interested in :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Larry B wrote:Very nice Shine, something I could be interested in :D
Indeed I like the board also but I don't like the fins they look horrible imho, if Imay say so in the first place :?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

38 lbs finished weight.
the fins they look horrible imho, if Imay say so in the first place
You can make the fins however you want. :wink:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

peter-curacao wrote: Indeed I like the board also but I don't like the fins they look horrible imho, if Imay say so in the first place :?
I agree, :lol: the first fins Joel cut for prototype #2 were much nicer.
You can cut them anyway you want.
I will include a set of fins similar to the 1st ones but there is enough plywood leftover to cut different fins.
We will also include notes about accessories:
- how to install a fin box
- how to install an optional mast step.
I have not decided which mast foot system to use. Any suggestions?

BTW, for sailing, I wonder if we really the complication of an optional dagger board. I had some boards without dagger board and I could gain on the wind.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I have no sailboard experience. Will there also be a lines drawing for one or two suggested sail rigs? Can this design accommodate a simple and light (felt weird typing that :lol: ) box structure seat?

:)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If I were building it as a sailboard, I would only have one skeg on the center line. Skeg boxes with replaceable skegs of different styles and sizes.are readily available for sailboards. Glass or glue in the box, and the skeg is replaceable. Same with the dagger board and mast step. There are many off the shelf parts for skegs, dagger boards and mast bases that could be easily incorporated into the hull.

Ideally the mast base would be on a short track that slides fore and aft, to better adjust the CE on different points of sail. Look at some of these as examples.. http://www.google.com/search?q=sailboar ... 80&bih=829
Can this design accommodate a simple and light box structure seat?
A sit down sailboard I've never seen. Unless the wind is very light, you aren't going to sail it sitting down :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose