WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: WouldWork's V12, Sailing version

Post by WouldWork »

Quick update, things are slow as far as the boat is concerned. Newborn babies are hard to work with, they pay no attention to schedules! Loving every minute though of coarse.

Must keep moving though, where I can. I have an FL26 planned next and it's driving me to keep at least a steady pace on this one.

I'll start working on the skeg, seats and dagger board trunk next.

Cheers

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

WouldWork wrote: Must keep moving though, where I can.
Looking good. Keep it up.

One interesting thing I noted during my builds, I seemed to get more work done over a month when I concentrated on one hour a day rather than finding time in the schedule for four or more hours of boat building. Plus it helped keep me motivated. When you do nothing on the boat for a week or two it is easy to let it drag out to a month or two with no work being completed. That's when the build stalls. Oh, and an hour of sanding is much easier than four hours of sanding. :wink:
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

The intellect runs out of foundations on which to build, and passion with which to build -- apart from the imagination. Keep the imagination welcome, joyfully active in its work, even when other duties fill the calendar for the moment. Of course, there's vain imagination... And there's true imagination. You get the idea... :lol:

Nothing like newborns and little ones to breathe new life into the imagination. True Imagination won't distract needful industry... But will feed and inspire it. :D

There's my shot in the arm for the month. :)

Got a name yet for the V12?

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Thanks for the tip Shaun, I think your approach has real merrit. I have a week off work over Christmas, and have big plans for the boat!

As for a name Ks8, I haven't thought of anything as yet, suggestions are welcome? However after that beautiful philosophical 'shot in the arm' as you called it, I think the name will have to be one inspired by intellect, imagination and passion! Way to put the pressure on! :lol:
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

:lol: 8)

But now, to clarify ... :wink: ... The imagination 'sees' what intellect alone would not... The imagination is inspired...Then the intellect is called to task to try and hammer out details and language with the hope to communicate to others what the imagination 'sees', since so many things truly 'seen' by the imagination would whither in that imagination, if not shared and enjoyed with others. And there is passion in it all, properly bounded passion, of course ... :wink: Intellect is there to serve what 'true' imagination sees and hopes to share in communication... It doesn't work right the other way around, IMHO... :lol:

So... What stirred your imagination to build the V12? Let your intellect circle that camp awhile, and perhaps the boat name will come into language that will fit on a transom. :)

Or, a boat name can be a memorial that honors something or someone that is a continual inspiration to your imagination. But that's enough from me for now, before I invite a label on myself that I may soon regret... :lol: 8O :lol:

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

So... What stirred your imagination to build the V12?
It was actually an emotionless & mechanical decision....

Option to sail
V-Hull
Room for 2
Car top-able
Cheap build
Looks great

It all pointed to the V12. I think the imagination has come in to play during the build rather than prior. These aren't 'just' boats are they? They are a part of us. They represent our emotions, imaginations and intellect, each one subtly or vastly different from the next, although starting from identical plans. That's one of the differences I think between a profession, a hobby and a passion.

Having said that, I am still wondering about a name that will suit the V12 as well as myself. For me, and I guess many others, building a boat is like flying to the moon: I wouldn't believe I was capable of it until I tried. I won't however try flying to the moon as failure may disappoint. :lol:
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

"August Dawn", on the transom, in a slightly cursive font.

Anyone already have that name? :doh:
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

sounds good 8) on the transom or stern quarter ... depending on how large you want the font, and the available room... :)

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

I think it will be better on the stern quarter. With either a rudder or electric outboard hanging off the transom, it might detract from the name a little if it's on the transom.

I'll print some letters out when the boat is finished and try a few locations/fonts/sizes etc, see what looks best. Now that it has a name, and the name has historical and personal significance to me, I think it deserves a little thought.

Have a good Christmas.

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

8) Same plan... same reason... letters cut already. Did a virtual install three or four times already. I think I'll peel of the backing next time and actually do it.. :lol:

Merry Christmas! :)