Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

Post by peter-curacao »

Dougster wrote: There's a Hobie rental place nearby so I think I'll give it a try once the weather cools.
Please let us know once you tested one, I'm very curious to it. 8)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Cracker Larry wrote:Good start 8) Did you cut that out with your CNC machine, or do it the old fashion way?

That's a really nice looking little kayak. I might have to build one after I get the FS18 finished.

Are you making hurricane preps yet? Looks like it's going to be very wet there in a couple of days. Let me know if you need any help with the boats or filling sandbags.
Larry, I am cutting the plywood the old fashioned way. This ply is so thin that my vacuum pods have a hard time sucking it down evenly.

As for storm, I believe it may clip the Keys and head for Mississippi. I think we will get a little wind and rain, that's all. Thanks for the offer of help 8)

Doug, Misterfly, Alicia and all, I will try to do a good job posting pics for you all who are planning to build this kayak :)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

jacquesmm wrote:Soon, probably within 3 days, we will post building notes for the SUP14. While experimenting with the assembly, we discovered a few tricks like gluing the sheer clamp ( I may call it inwale on some plans) to the side panel before assembling the hull.

I also though of more options like some stiffeners, deck beam style, for the hatches.
And a side deck brace in case somebody wants to mount accessories on the side of the cockpit or just for better support of the side deck when getting in and out of the boat. I may post a "building notes update" as soon as I draw those options.
Thanks. Would the update be in print or online?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A PDF file online. No changes, just some small options and the suggestion to glue the sheer clamp to the side before planking.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Aripeka Angler wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:Soon, probably within 3 days, we will post building notes for the SUP14. While experimenting with the assembly, we discovered a few tricks like gluing the sheer clamp ( I may call it inwale on some plans) to the side panel before assembling the hull.

I also though of more options like some stiffeners, deck beam style, for the hatches.
And a side deck brace in case somebody wants to mount accessories on the side of the cockpit or just for better support of the side deck when getting in and out of the boat. I may post a "building notes update" as soon as I draw those options.
Are you also building the SUB Richard? or am I missing or misunderstanding something? :doh:

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Richard,

Glad your starting a new build!! I'm considering building some version of a sit on top kayak this winter too. Looking forward to seeing yours come together.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

peter-curacao wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:

Are you also building the SUB Richard? or am I missing or misunderstanding something? :doh:
Peter, the update is generic for small boats built in a similar fashion. It is construction tips I believe, and not model specific...
Richard

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I got a little more done this afternoon. This is the way I layed out the panels, I used a thin mdf batten to make the curves. I tacked the batten down to the panel with micro-pins at the plotted points...

I cut both panels at the same time setting the saw up to not cut the table. It is easier to cut curves when the saw is set shallow as well...

And cut...

This is everything major cut except the sole, I will start splicing the panels together in the morning...

Richard

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I miss my shop :( Oh btw, looking good there Richard. Going to watch this build :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

I have a Mirage with the turbo fins. Great for hands free fishing and pdq as well. My yak paddling buddies can't keep up with it for long.

I want to build this yak, I have a plastic SINK that is 27" wide and is very stable, this design has to be super stable. Looking forward to some realtime reports on the water.

As light as this one is, put a M-drive on it and it should fly.

frazoo
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply