Page 1 of 1

Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:47 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Well, the boat building virus has flared up again :wink: A few weeks ago, I decided to not start this build thread until I was actually working on the kayak. I started making sawdust this afternoon 8) Not much to see, but a start anyhow...

I think this might be one of the first PY12 builds. I will stick to the plan as drawn and hopefully I won't mess up too bad...

Re: Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:52 pm
by peter-curacao
Nice!! Although your cooking looks/tastes great, I like seeing you building stuff 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:04 pm
by peter-curacao
I know you wanna stick to the plans, still I wanna show you this Miragedrive , don't know where you gonna use the kayak and if it is an option for you, just wanted to show you since its also a fishing kayak.

Also I don't know if its working as advertised, just got the link from a friend of my who's also looking into fishing kayaks/subs, and also is a forum member here for about a week or so, his nick is misterfly.

Edit: changed name for drive to correct one

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 pm
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:I know you wanna stick to the plans, still I wanna show you this Megadrive , don't know where you gonna use the kayak and if it is an option for you, just wanted to show you since its also a fishing kayak.

Also I don't know if its working as advertised, just got the link from a friend of my who's also looking into fishing kayaks/subs, and also is a forum member here for about a week or so, his nick is misterfly.
Thanks for the welcome Peter :D You have got me interested in the megadrive 8) I will do some reading on that system...

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 pm
by cali123
Good to see you building the plyak. There are a bunch of us that are interested in building one. 8)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 am
by misterfly_nl
I will follow this build every step, because I like to build my fishing cano too.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 am
by Cracker Larry
Good start 8) Did you cut that out with your CNC machine, or do it the old fashion way?

That's a really nice looking little kayak. I might have to build one after I get the FS18 finished.

Are you making hurricane preps yet? Looks like it's going to be very wet there in a couple of days. Let me know if you need any help with the boats or filling sandbags.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 am
by jacquesmm
Soon, probably within 3 days, we will post building notes for the SUP14. While experimenting with the assembly, we discovered a few tricks like gluing the sheer clamp ( I may call it inwale on some plans) to the side panel before assembling the hull.

I also though of more options like some stiffeners, deck beam style, for the hatches.
And a side deck brace in case somebody wants to mount accessories on the side of the cockpit or just for better support of the side deck when getting in and out of the boat. I may post a "building notes update" as soon as I draw those options.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:22 am
by Dougster
I'm happy to see you start this thread Richard, especially since I have a secret interest in building this one once my endless LB22 build is finished :roll: (I'm sitting here waiting for the induction time on a little Sterling mix for the cockpit right now). I have given some thought to the Mirage drive and read up on it a bit. There's a Hobie rental place nearby so I think I'll give it a try once the weather cools. Looks like you're doing the first one!

Watching on the sidelines Dougster

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:51 am
by hockey52
Gonna be watching this build! :)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 am
by peter-curacao
Dougster wrote: There's a Hobie rental place nearby so I think I'll give it a try once the weather cools.
Please let us know once you tested one, I'm very curious to it. 8)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Cracker Larry wrote:Good start 8) Did you cut that out with your CNC machine, or do it the old fashion way?

That's a really nice looking little kayak. I might have to build one after I get the FS18 finished.

Are you making hurricane preps yet? Looks like it's going to be very wet there in a couple of days. Let me know if you need any help with the boats or filling sandbags.
Larry, I am cutting the plywood the old fashioned way. This ply is so thin that my vacuum pods have a hard time sucking it down evenly.

As for storm, I believe it may clip the Keys and head for Mississippi. I think we will get a little wind and rain, that's all. Thanks for the offer of help 8)

Doug, Misterfly, Alicia and all, I will try to do a good job posting pics for you all who are planning to build this kayak :)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 pm
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:Soon, probably within 3 days, we will post building notes for the SUP14. While experimenting with the assembly, we discovered a few tricks like gluing the sheer clamp ( I may call it inwale on some plans) to the side panel before assembling the hull.

I also though of more options like some stiffeners, deck beam style, for the hatches.
And a side deck brace in case somebody wants to mount accessories on the side of the cockpit or just for better support of the side deck when getting in and out of the boat. I may post a "building notes update" as soon as I draw those options.
Thanks. Would the update be in print or online?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:26 pm
by jacquesmm
A PDF file online. No changes, just some small options and the suggestion to glue the sheer clamp to the side before planking.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:Soon, probably within 3 days, we will post building notes for the SUP14. While experimenting with the assembly, we discovered a few tricks like gluing the sheer clamp ( I may call it inwale on some plans) to the side panel before assembling the hull.

Are you also building the SUB Richard? or am I missing or misunderstanding something? :doh:

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm
by SmokyMountain
Richard,

Glad your starting a new build!! I'm considering building some version of a sit on top kayak this winter too. Looking forward to seeing yours come together.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:

Are you also building the SUB Richard? or am I missing or misunderstanding something? :doh:
Peter, the update is generic for small boats built in a similar fashion. It is construction tips I believe, and not model specific...

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I got a little more done this afternoon. This is the way I layed out the panels, I used a thin mdf batten to make the curves. I tacked the batten down to the panel with micro-pins at the plotted points...

I cut both panels at the same time setting the saw up to not cut the table. It is easier to cut curves when the saw is set shallow as well...

And cut...

This is everything major cut except the sole, I will start splicing the panels together in the morning...

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 pm
by Larry B
I miss my shop :( Oh btw, looking good there Richard. Going to watch this build :D

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:10 pm
by frazoo
I have a Mirage with the turbo fins. Great for hands free fishing and pdq as well. My yak paddling buddies can't keep up with it for long.

I want to build this yak, I have a plastic SINK that is 27" wide and is very stable, this design has to be super stable. Looking forward to some realtime reports on the water.

As light as this one is, put a M-drive on it and it should fly.

frazoo

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:35 pm
by Aripeka Angler
You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm
by frazoo
Aripeka Angler wrote:You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?
It's gonna sound dumb, but, yes and no. I can get into some skinny water (but remember, I ain't talking about Florida flats skinny). When I can't use the drive, I pick up the paddle. The turbo's are longer than the regular fins, so they won't go as skinny.
You can also make short strokes when the water gets tight.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 pm
by Aripeka Angler
frazoo wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?
It's gonna sound dumb, but, yes and no. I can get into some skinny water (but remember, I ain't talking about Florida flats skinny). When I can't use the drive, I pick up the paddle. The turbo's are longer than the regular fins, so they won't go as skinny.
You can also make short strokes when the water gets tight.

Thanks. I guess I need to go to the kayak shop in Tampa and take a look at one these rigs. Can you ground the kayak without damaging the drive?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 pm
by frazoo
If I remember right, there is a "fins flush to the hull" position mentioned in my owners manual (I'm at work tonight and can't check it). Two guys I know launch and land on beaches, but, they pull the drive out for that and then slip it in place. There is one guy that beaches his with it in, but he's damned rough on his equipment. I always see $$$ signs and won't try it.
Most Hobie dealers will let you test drive/ride one before you buy. If you give a good report on the yak, I believe I'll put my drive in it.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:33 am
by Aripeka Angler
frazoo wrote:If I remember right, there is a "fins flush to the hull" position mentioned in my owners manual (I'm at work tonight and can't check it). Two guys I know launch and land on beaches, but, they pull the drive out for that and then slip it in place. There is one guy that beaches his with it in, but he's damned rough on his equipment. I always see $$$ signs and won't try it.
Most Hobie dealers will let you test drive/ride one before you buy. If you give a good report on the yak, I believe I'll put my drive in it.
Interesting, thanks! How does the drive come out without water coming in?

I got the panels glued together this morning. Maybe I can splice the other side this afternoon?

I made myself a platform to work on, it was much easier than laminating on the slab. I screwed some strips down across the panels to keep the joints nice and level...

That's it for now :)

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:49 am
by peter-curacao
Richard I believe all the answers to your questions are in this vid http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 am
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:Richard I believe all the answers to your questions are in this vid http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/
Thanks Peter 8) I understand how it works now.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 pm
by Dougster
You can place the fins in the flush position against the hull by simply pushing one of the pedals full forward I believe. Folks say they are pretty tough and parts are replaceable. The drive fits through the hull without leaking because it's a bit like a sailboat centerboard set up. With the PY12's sole self draining the trunk the drive fits into wouldn't have to be very high I I'd guess, but it may be a bit of a challenge to install. I did find this one link to a guy who put one in:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/art ... e/free.cfm

Havin' fun daydreaming Dougster

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 pm
by peter-curacao
Dougster wrote:You can place the fins in the flush position against the hull by simply pushing one of the pedals full forward I believe. Folks say they are pretty tough and parts are replaceable. The drive fits through the hull without leaking because it's a bit like a sailboat centerboard set up.
It does Indeed, fins flush you can see at 200 sec and through hull install and removal you can see at 58 sec

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:15 pm
by Aripeka Angler
OK, the peer pressure has gotten to me :lol: I will give the Mirage drive a go. If any of you guys spot a deal, please let me know. Austin kayak is the place I bought some stuff for the strip canoe. They sell the standard drive unit for $505. Maybe there is a cheaper place :wink:

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:19 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:OK, the peer pressure has gotten to me :lol: I will give the Mirage drive a go. If any of you guys spot a deal, please let me know. Austin kayak is the place I bought some stuff for the strip canoe. They sell the standard drive unit for $505. Maybe there is a cheaper place :wink:
Awesome!! 8) can't wait to see her finished and you flying over the water :D

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:54 pm
by Dougster
Good news! Austin Kayak is in my neck of the woods (they rent 'em there too). I have checked ebay a few times in the past weeks with no luck. People don't seem to let go of them, which I guess is a good thing.

Lookin' forward to your build Dougster

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 pm
by Coast

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:29 am
by wegcagle
Great to see you starting on another boat Richard. That mirage drive looks pretty awesome. No experience from here though. I'll be interested in seeing how well it works.

Will

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:56 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Thanks Coast for posting that link, that drive looks like it drafts too much water for my area though.

Will, thanks for the support :) We will have to go fishing sometime if you get back down this way. I have a bottle I want to ship to you if you will send me a private email with your address. I planned on giving it to you in Marathon, but I forgot for some reason :doh:

OK. got the Hobie Mirage Drive for $399 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/hobie-cat-mirag ... 1c2aaf255d

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:16 pm
by wegcagle
I'd love to go fishing with you Richard. If only life and a few hundred miles would stop getting in the way :D Thanks again for the present. T-minus 6 days until kickoff 8) I do love the fall. Perfect weather, hunting season around the corner, great fishing, and football.

Will

PS I sent you an email.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm
by frazoo
OK. got the Hobie Mirage Drive for $399 8)

great price, looking forward to seeing how you put it all together.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm
by peter-curacao
That crazy (flying) Dutchman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 pm
by Dougster
Good score on the drive Richard. Makes me want to keep checking ebay, " just in case". I do look forward to how you're gonna install it. I'd have trouble on my own, but now I'm gettin' a tutorial :D I got a feeling you're gonna end up with a really fun little boat, with a lotta bang for the buck.

Waitin' for pics Dougster

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:51 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Will, got your email. Is that 1 or I street?

Got the other side of the panels spliced together this afternoon. With a little luck, I will be able to post a stitched hull pic on Tuesday night 8)
Dougster wrote:Good score on the drive Richard. Makes me want to keep checking ebay, " just in case". I do look forward to how you're gonna install it. I'd have trouble on my own, but now I'm gettin' a tutorial :D I got a feeling you're gonna end up with a really fun little boat, with a lotta bang for the buck.

Waitin' for pics Dougster
I will do my best with the tutorial. I might have to cheat and look at a Hobie to figure it out :wink:

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 pm
by wegcagle
It's I Street NE. I sure can't wait to have a real address again... 8 more months and no more apartments for me :D

Thanks again

Will

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm
by Dougster
Aripeka Angler wrote: I will do my best with the tutorial. I might have to cheat and look at a Hobie to figure it out :wink:
Well you know for sure I would!

Says bein' smart ain't cheatin' Dougster

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:24 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Will, it isn't much but it's on the way :) Are the 'Dogs going to be any good this year :doh:
Dougster wrote:Says bein' smart ain't cheatin' Dougster
You sure have a way with words :wink: I am going to remember that phrase. The Mirage drive is in transit, I can't wait to see how it works!

I screwed up and deleted my pictures (like all of them :roll:)including the ones in this thread. One wrong click was all it took, I didn't do it on purpose. I will reload the pics in this thread as soon as I get back from vacation...

I think I am ready to put the 'yak together but I ran out of time trying to get ready for some unwinding 8)

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 pm
by Cracker Larry
I screwed up and deleted my pictures (like all of them :roll:)including the ones in this thread. One wrong click was all it took,
Yep, that is all it takes. That's all it took me 2 years ago. No warning, no "are you sure" no nothing. Click, gone 8O I see nothing has changed. Seems like the BWM could have fixed that over the years with all the comments about it. It is very discouraging to lose 6 years of resized and uploaded pictures of 4 boat builds and 4 restorations, over 2000 pictures with just one click and no warning. I quit using the Bateau gallery, all my pics now go into photobucket where I know they are safe.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 am
by Doc_Dyer
yup I also deleted my gallery with ONE click, NO warning.....

BWM wake up :oops:

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm
by AMC
I am rally looking forward to seeing some pictures, I may build this boat in the near future.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:13 pm
by misterfly_nl
@ Aripeka Angler

:help: Hope you still have the pictures and can put them back on the board.
One picture says more than a thousand words.

Evert

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
misterfly_nl wrote:@ Aripeka Angler

:help: Hope you still have the pictures and can put them back on the board.
One picture says more than a thousand words.

Evert
I still have them, I will reload them when I get back from vacation :wink:

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:00 am
by misterfly_nl
Aripeka Angler wrote: I still have them, I will reload them when I get back from vacation :wink:
Have a nice vacation.

Evert

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm
by wegcagle
Got a package in the mail last Saturday Richard. Thanks again and just in time for the game. 8) Hope you and Sandi have a great time in Alaska.

Keep warm ,

Will

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:33 pm
by Aripeka Angler
wegcagle wrote:Got a package in the mail last Saturday Richard. Thanks again and just in time for the game. 8) Hope you and Sandi have a great time in Alaska.

Keep warm ,

Will
You are certainly welcome Will :) It ain't much but I figured it would get you in the mood for some Bulldog football. They are on TV here in Anchorage right now, looks like they have their hands full with Mizzou :doh:

I am heading home tomorrow, I will get back on the kayak very soon...

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:42 pm
by wegcagle
It's as exciting as the Gators and the Aggies. What a game.
hope you had a great trip and safe travels home.

Thanks again

Will

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 am
by stickystuff
The dogs pulled it off in last quarter. Gators sloppy but pulled it off. Hopefully Tennessee can finaly put them in their place next week. GO VOLS> :D :D

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 pm
by silentneko
Forget the chit chat, what happened to the pics? :help: :?: :cry:

I am eager to see what you have going.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:49 pm
by Aripeka Angler
silentneko wrote:Forget the chit chat, what happened to the pics? :help: :?: :cry:

I am eager to see what you have going.
I am on vacation, I will reload the lost pics and post some new ones when I get home in a couple of days :)

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:02 pm
by silentneko
Great, look foward to seeing your progress

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I'm back and I had this waiting for me. This is the Mirage drive...

The idea is to be able to pedal the kayak while being able to have hands free fishing. This device is not exactly what I pictured. After several hours of head scratching, I think I have a plan...

Note the two silver round pins, the two narrower black round pins and the oval shaped rads at the ends...

I guess I will have to build a tapered wet box in the sole with slots for the pins. I think I can make it work, stay tuned :lol:

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:
I guess I will have to build a tapered wet box in the sole with slots for the pins. I think I can make it work, stay tuned :lol:
Richard pay attention at 58 seconds and you more or less have your blueprint :D http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I reloaded my pics on this thread 8) I will try not to hit the wrong button again :lol:

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 pm
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:
Richard pay attention at 58 seconds and you more or less have your blueprint :D http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/
Peter, you are way smarter than me :lol: I get the concept but I need more detail :P

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:29 am
by Doc_Dyer
ask and you shall receive my friend :wink:

CLICKY HERE

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am
by jacquesmm
Good web page.
Post pictures of your modification.
It looks like the Duckworks page give sufficient info but if you want to discuss framing and lamination schedule, post here.

There is another builder that studied seriously the installation of pedal power in kayaks. He tested the Hobie paddles and another one with a prop. It's Jim Wright. We discussed details but he did not do it. I'll see him in a few weeks (Ponte Vedra Jim if you read this) and will ask him to post his comments.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Thanks for posting the link :) I think I saw it somewhere before :doh: maybe not :doh: Anyway, I got it now...
jacquesmm wrote:Good web page.
Post pictures of your modification.
It looks like the Duckworks page give sufficient info but if you want to discuss framing and lamination schedule, post here.

There is another builder that studied seriously the installation of pedal power in kayaks. He tested the Hobie paddles and another one with a prop. It's Jim Wright. We discussed details but he did not do it. I'll see him in a few weeks (Ponte Vedra Jim if you read this) and will ask him to post his comments.
I will post pics for sure. I am interested in all feedback, Jim is a skilled builder for sure :) I visited a kayak shop today to get a first hand look at how to set up a kayak for fishing and to look at the pedal drive well. Got some great ideas...hope to have something to post tomorrow night.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 am
by SmokyMountain
Richard,

Here is an example layout that I liked for a fishing yak.

The bow insert looks nice and would be low maintenance. Also it has a lid that locks down. I forgot where I found it for sale, but will let you know when I do. :D

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:22 am
by peter-curacao
Richard don't know how much space you have below the sole but maybe this is an Idea also? a Modular Fishing Pod click left under on the page for more details.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:31 pm
by Aripeka Angler
That's a sweet looking kayak Andy, thanks for posting the pic! Peter, the insert idea I will have to consider for sure. I have never owned a kayak so input is cool 8)

Started the stitching process today. Does this look right?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 am
by AD16 The Opportunist
Hello! ..... looks like you stitched the side panel upside-down.....

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:59 am
by topwater
It looks upside down to me also.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am
by Aripeka Angler
It's an optical illusion, the short side of the side panel is stitched to the chine. I have double checked the measurements and believe they are per plan. Shouldn't the length of the chine edge of the bottom panel be the same as the length of the lower edge of the side panel?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 am
by AD16 The Opportunist
same difference to the other(bow or stern) side? I have the drawings, but not yet the ply.... not ready to start building 'til november....

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 am
by jacquesmm
It's not the builder's fault, it's my drawing, the 3D modeler has a glitch.
The bottom panel is too short.
I redesigned it in 4 different ways and that is clearly where the problem is: the unrolled panel is 5% smaller than the original surface.
It think I know where the software problem, it's a weakness in the development algorithm when the panel has two pinched ends.
I should have caught it by comparing areas and chine lengths but this is such a simple hull that I did not worry, my fault.

I have a new drawing that is accurate and will send to all who bought the plans and it looks like we own you a sheet of plywood.
Please contact Joel about a replacement plywood sheet, I will redraw the panel dimensions and email everybody.

I often go to your area, will be in Brooksville in a couple of weeks. I can deliver a new bottom panel.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 am
by Aripeka Angler
AD16 The Opportunist wrote:same difference to the other(bow or stern) side? I have the drawings, but not yet the ply.... not ready to start building 'til november....
AD, I understand the hull is symmetrical until you cut the hole in the deck. My question is shouldn't the length of the outside edge of the bottom panel be the same as the short edge of the side panel?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 am
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:It's not the builder's fault, it's my drawing, the 3D modeler has a glitch.
The bottom panel is too short.
I redesigned it in 4 different ways and that is clearly where the problem is: the unrolled panel is 5% smaller than the original surface.
It think I know where the software problem, it's a weakness in the development algorithm when the panel has two pinched ends.
I should have caught it by comparing areas and chine lengths but this is such a simple hull that I did not worry, my fault.

I have a new drawing that is accurate and will send to all who bought the plans and it looks like we own you a sheet of plywood.
Please contact Joel about a replacement plywood sheet, I will redraw the panel dimensions and email everybody.

I often go to your area, will be in Brooksville in a couple of weeks. I can deliver a new bottom panel.
Thanks Jacques. No rush on the plywood, I have extra. I would like to get the corrected plans ASAP so I can get back to building...BTW, is this also the reason the bulkheads are not fitting properly?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 am
by jacquesmm
I will email a corrected drawing within one hour.
There are only 3 dimension lines plus the tip.
The one in the middle is correct, the next one is off by less than 1/4" but the last one and the tip of the bow are very wrong: the panel is more than 1" wider there and 2" longer.
That means that the end bulkhead is wider than the bottom.
I checked all other panels and there is not problem with them.

If you have extra plywood, proceed and I'll bring you a sheet when I am in your area.

Sorry for that. I developed hundreds of panels without any problem but usually I compare lengths and areas. In this case, the hull shape is so simple that was overly confident and did not check.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am
by Cracker Larry
Excellent problem resolution 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 am
by jacquesmm
We emailed a corrected drawing to all those who bought the plans.
There is way to save the bottom panel if it is already cut but it's cleaner to cut a new panel.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:05 am
by AD16 The Opportunist
Got your mail Jacques! Thanks for the prompt answer to this trouble, this site (and you and Joel of course) is great for this kind of support :D :D :D ...... PS. don't forget, my copy of plans is metric :wink:

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 am
by jacquesmm
The PDF file with the corrections is in inches and in metric, on the same drawing.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:58 am
by peter-curacao
Great support, don't forget to update the Plan updates page :wink:

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm
by jacquesmm
No need for it, all builders have received an email.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:10 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
@Jacques: Sorry for the OT, but there is one more point not clear on the same drawing B296/3 regarding the radius of cockpit and hatch openings: in the hatch opening says R3 but seems more like 3' (i have metric plans, then should be 76mm).... the cockpit opening says R6 aft and Dia. 12 near the backrest but optically is more a 120/150mm radius for both. I know is not important because is a particular "to builder's preference" , but can you give us the correct measurement after your drawings?

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 pm
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:
If you have extra plywood, proceed and I'll bring you a sheet when I am in your area.
I got your email, no problem. Let me know when you are going to be in my area, I will order some foam from Joel. Thanks again :)

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:23 pm
by jacquesmm
I see it: on the metric plans, those radii are still in inches.
I think it's my formatting: all dimensions are translated correctly and the conversion match, in metric and US except for the radial dimensions. I'll fix it.
What you see is inches: all multiples of 3".
In metric, 3 = 75 mm, 6 = 150 mm, 12 = 300 mm.

As you guessed, those radii are not critical, they can be drawn to the builder's preference.
I never measure them when I cut plywood. I use mostly 3 type of radii that I scribe around whatever is handy. The small ones are coffee cup radii, medium size is a large paint can and the large ones are a 20 liter pail . . .
As long as they are consistent, it will look good.
Don't cut straight angle corners, it is an invitation to crack.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
Thank you, Have a nice weekend!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
by jacquesmm
Aripeka Angler wrote:
I got your email, no problem. Let me know when you are going to be in my area, I will order some foam from Joel. Thanks again :)
It depends on my son's bike races. There is one in Lakeland on 10/13 and one in Brooksville on 10/20.
If you want it earlier, I could decide to go hog hunting (north of you) on Columbus Day and stop by.

I travel with a 5th wheel and can take one sheet of thin plywood not much more but no restrictions on foam or anything that goes in boxes.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:05 pm
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:
It depends on my son's bike races. There is one in Lakeland on 10/13 and one in Brooksville on 10/20.
If you want it earlier, I could decide to go hog hunting (north of you) on Columbus Day and stop by.

I travel with a 5th wheel and can take one sheet of thin plywood not much more but no restrictions on foam or anything that goes in boxes.
No hurry, I won't need the plywood until I cut out the sole. I should be able to make any of those dates work. The foam I mentioned will be the 2-part stuff for flotation.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 pm
by Aripeka Angler
stickystuff wrote:The dogs pulled it off in last quarter. Gators sloppy but pulled it off. Hopefully Tennessee can finaly put them in their place next week. GO VOLS> :D :D

8 in a row :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 pm
by wegcagle
That's a good victory for sure. It was a good game until the second half, then UF wore UT down. I thought it would be the second best game this week (to Bama/Arkansas ...until Tyler Wilson fell victim to a concussion)

For me it's currently UGA 49 FAU 14.

I'm not sure that's worth bragging about though. One of the worst offenses in college football managed to rack up almost 300 yds in the first half 8O :oops:

We'll see you boys next month, and maybe just maybe it'll be a good one. Go Dawgs :D

Will

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:46 am
by stickystuff
I don't know what it is when the Vols play the lizaeds. they start out kickin ass and then fall apart. :(

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:49 am
by stickystuff
Jacque. I still have the vac pump if you still want it. My neighbor hood is full of hogs.Tearing up all the yards. We have a trap set across the street right now.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:31 am
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:17 pm
by peter-curacao
Doc_Dyer wrote:.
What he says! :wink:

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 pm
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:
Doc_Dyer wrote:.
What he says! :wink:
Once I got to the bottom of the screwed up dimensions on the plan, I got busy with a bunch of stuff I put off while I was in AK. Since I lost my lawn man Handturkey, I have to mow sometimes 35-50 acres in a week. Not every week but last week was the week for mowing maximus. We are also remodeling Harrison's grandmother's house to make it wheelchair friendly. I will get back on the kayak next week :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Back at work after the momentum was taken away due to the plan issue :P I cut out new bottom panels today and spliced them together. I plan to stitch the kayak together again tomorrow afternoon, I think the new plan is perfect. I will post some pics once I'm sure :wink:

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 am
by Prarie Dog
Here's a site that has some Kayak floatation bags on it, I'm sure there's others. We use a pair in the bow and stern of our tandem and they work fine. They help keep volume out of the hull so it's faster to bail if swamped, much lighter than the two part foam. I suppose a guy could use milk jugs, there are some that are dry bags too that do double duty.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Prarie Dog wrote:Here's a site that has some Kayak floatation bags on it, I'm sure there's others. We use a pair in the bow and stern of our tandem and they work fine. They help keep volume out of the hull so it's faster to bail if swamped, much lighter than the two part foam. I suppose a guy could use milk jugs, there are some that are dry bags too that do double duty.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760
I see now what you were talking about, I didn't understand at first. That is a great idea for the storage areas 8) I might have to get one or two for that. I won't be using any 2 part foam in those areas...

The foam I need though is for under the sole. I think it is actually structural, the plan says it is required. I will let the foam cure for a couple of weeks before I drop in the sole. The post cure expansion issue is a little troubling to me. I got her stitched together loosely this afternoon, I will load a pic or two later.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:32 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Photos of the humble beginnings of my kayak.

The panels lined up perfect this time...

Side view...

The small bulkheads are not fitting in their prescribed locations, I may have made a mistake but I don't think so. The lower diagonal on my bulkhead is 9/16" shorter than the panel. I will double check my cutting before I wave the white flag :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 am
by AD16 The Opportunist
I think that as in all S&G constuctions here, you need to have 1/4' gap between frame and hull panels... move the frame in the right place, and put some 1/4' scrap pieces of ply as distancer....

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 am
by cape man
That's startin' to look boat-like! 8) 8)

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 am
by Aripeka Angler
AD16 The Opportunist wrote:I think that as in all S&G constuctions here, you need to have 1/4' gap between frame and hull panels... move the frame in the right place, and put some 1/4' scrap pieces of ply as distancer....
I totally agree with what you are saying, but this gap is bigger than 1/4"... I think it is closer to 1/2". I will double check my cutting again later. How is your kayak coming along, have you gotten started yet?
cape man wrote:That's startin' to look boat-like! 8) 8)
Yep, it's always cool when a few pieces of wood turn into a boat :D

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 am
by peter-curacao
Curious how the drive will fit in, looking good 8)
Doesn't it need support in the middle?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm
by jacquesmm
At this stage, the hull does not have it's finale stage, it may be bending and that would explain the difference at the frame.
Check the distance between the the two ends, at the top.
You may need a rope to pull them together and/or a support in the middle.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:At this stage, the hull does not have it's finale stage, it may be bending and that would explain the difference at the frame.
Check the distance between the the two ends, at the top.
You may need a rope to pull them together and/or a support in the middle.
I suppose I should build some small v-shaped fixtures to rest the hull on. The 4mm is pretty flimsy without any frames...

Here is a better description of the frame issue. When I put the small frame in it's suggested location and shove it down tight to the vee of the bottom, the frame is almost 3/4" short from the inside of the chine (edit..on both sides). That is with the frame following the angle of the bottom. The frame fits much better when it is approximately 3" further from the center than the 40-1/2" on the plan. All of the angles and corners of the frames line up at about 43-1/2" from center line of the kayak.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:14 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
Aripeka Angler wrote:
AD16 The Opportunist wrote:I think that as in all S&G constuctions here, you need to have 1/4' gap between frame and hull panels... move the frame in the right place, and put some 1/4' scrap pieces of ply as distancer....
I totally agree with what you are saying, but this gap is bigger than 1/4"... I think it is closer to 1/2". I will double check my cutting again later. How is your kayak coming along, have you gotten started yet?
cape man wrote:That's startin' to look boat-like! 8) 8)
Yep, it's always cool when a few pieces of wood turn into a boat :D
Not yet, or better... i have cut all i need from 6mm ply : frames, cockpit sole, already laminated and shaped the cockpit coaming , skeg and hatch blocking lip....I'm still at work in Germany and the first days of november i'll drive home in Italy and there i'll buy the 4mm ply and cut the hull panels

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm
by jacquesmm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Here is a better description of the frame issue. When I put the small frame in it's suggested location and shove it down tight to the vee of the bottom, the frame is almost 3/4" short from the inside of the chine (edit..on both sides). That is with the frame following the angle of the bottom. The frame fits much better when it is approximately 3" further from the center than the 40-1/2" on the plan. All of the angles and corners of the frames line up at about 43-1/2" from center line of the kayak.
What is the total length of the hull?
I realize that I only show the spacing between frames from the center but not the distance to the tip.

It should be 148-5/8.

If the hull is sagging in the middle, the sides will open up at the sheer. 4mm is very flimsy.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
jacquesmm wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote: Here is a better description of the frame issue. When I put the small frame in it's suggested location and shove it down tight to the vee of the bottom, the frame is almost 3/4" short from the inside of the chine (edit..on both sides). That is with the frame following the angle of the bottom. The frame fits much better when it is approximately 3" further from the center than the 40-1/2" on the plan. All of the angles and corners of the frames line up at about 43-1/2" from center line of the kayak.
I realize that I only show the spacing between frames from the center but not the distance to the tip.

It should be 148-5/8.

If the hull is sagging in the middle, the sides will open up at the sheer. 4mm is very flimsy.
Jacques, can you please give also those lenght in mm? I will add it to my drawings! Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm
by Aripeka Angler
It should be 148-5/8.
That's what I have within a 1/4".

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm
by TRC886
AD16 The Opportunist wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:

It should be 148-5/8.

Jacques, can you please give also those lenght in mm? I will add it to my drawings! Thanks in advance!
There are 25.4 mm per inch. 148.625 inches times 25.4 equals 3775.075 mm

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
There are 25.4 mm per inch. 148.625 inches times 25.4 equals 3775.075 mm
Thank you, Imperial isn't that easy when you are used with Metric ;)

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm
by Aripeka Angler
peter-curacao wrote:Curious how the drive will fit in
Me too :lol: My plan is to mount some aluminum rails on the sole to make the seat adjustable. I'm buying my seat and the rails, my back hurts too bad to sit on plywood. The Hobie drive I bought will sit in a box that will fit through the sole and the bottom. I will frame and tape in the Hobie drive box and with the foam it should be rock solid...At least that's my plan :)

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:16 pm
by jacquesmm
Later today or tomorrow AM, I will give the frames location with a distance measured along the edge of the panels.

The frame may not be vertical.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:Later today or tomorrow AM, I will give the frames location with a distance measured along the edge of the panels.

The frame may not be vertical.
Thank you very much :D

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:Curious how the drive will fit in
Me too :lol: My plan is to mount some aluminum rails on the sole to make the seat adjustable.
Cool did you find the rails already? I use those for my console
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_inf ... cts_id=267

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Cool did you find the rails already?
Not yet, I just saw them on a production seat in a kayak store. They looked like the cat's meow for mounting a seat to make it adjustable. Where did you find your rails?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 pm
by peter-curacao
Richard it's in the link beneath the picture :wink: not a boating shop but still those guys have some cool stuff.
You can buy an extra slider cut the rail in 2 and you're done

Edit: Bought those rails some actuators and a tv lift there, great service, great support and prompt shipping.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm
by Doc_Dyer
just a quick google search

revealed this CLICKY

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:48 pm
by peter-curacao
Doc_Dyer wrote:just a quick google search

revealed this CLICKY
I think those are better for that application unless he wants to be able to make a rowing motion also.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:43 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Not sure but I think those foot gizmos are for paddle 'yaks. I need the seat adjustment so you Amazon guys can reach the Hobie drive thingy :lol: Actually me, just kidding :lol: The kayak I saw with the movable seat had molded footrests. The seat looked comfortable as heck btw. I am going to wait to buy the seat to make sure it fits properly in the kayak.
Richard it's in the link beneath the picture :wink:
My bad, I missed the link. I will check it out...

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 am
by jacquesmm
I posted some dimensions for the frame locations in a new thread in Plans and Building/small boats.

I prefer to discuss technical issues there.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:38 pm
by peter-curacao

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
He is out grouper fishing today. He's pre-fishing, to get ready for next weekend's big fish slaying :D We're having a mini-meet. Aripeka Angler, Cape Man, DocDyer, Dborecky, Majorgator i think, Shine and myself are going grouper fishing for a couple of days. Fillet and release :lol: Richard believes in the 5 P's principle. Preparation prevents p@ss poor performance :D Leave him alone, he's finding us some fish :D

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:43 pm
by peter-curacao
Wish you guys had told me, I did could use a break from this rock :?

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:14 pm
by Cracker Larry
Peter, I can't speak for Richard, I'm not sure if he or Derrick have invited anyone else, or if the boats are full, I'm an invitee myself :wink: We've got 2 boats going out and if we've still got some room you would certainly be welcome to come. Richard will probably catch up here later tonight. I'm expecting a fishing report anyway :D

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:28 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Cracker Larry wrote:Peter, I can't speak for Richard, I'm not sure if he or Derrick have invited anyone else, or if the boats are full, I'm an invitee myself :wink: We've got 2 boats going out and if we've still got some room you would certainly be welcome to come. Richard will probably catch up here later tonight. I'm expecting a fishing report anyway :D
Peter, I had no idea you were interested in a fishing trip with us. If you can get to Tampa by next weekend you can fish with us for sure :D We can pick you up at the airport 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:42 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Pre-fishing report is good :D Fished on the neighbor's 24 foot Proline, it was a little choppy but the fish were chewing...
Me with a gag...
Chunky red...
Chuck with a nice gag...
I love to teach kids to fish 8)
And a dock pic minus a couple on the cleaning table...

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 pm
by peter-curacao
Aripeka Angler wrote:
Peter, I had no idea you were interested in a fishing trip with us. If you can get to Tampa by next weekend you can fish with us for sure :D We can pick you up at the airport 8)
Ahh don't worry about it! just look and find my email the date Monday, June 18, 2012
Pitty I have to be at the dentist friday, sorry Doc but I found one over here that was also more than happy to knock me out to an other world for about 60 minutes :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:04 pm
by Cracker Larry
I like the fishing report :D

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm
by Dougster
Richard, I just came across this thread in the WB forum showing several mirage drive installs. Scrolling down there is one almost at the end of the thread that has good pics. Maybe you've seen this, I dunno. Hope it's ok to post the link.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... rive/page2

Still on board Dougster

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 am
by Aripeka Angler
Dougster wrote:Richard, I just came across this thread in the WB forum showing several mirage drive installs. Scrolling down there is one almost at the end of the thread that has good pics. Maybe you've seen this, I dunno. Hope it's ok to post the link.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... rive/page2

Still on board Dougster
Doug, thanks for posting the link :) I need all the help I can get. I have been fishing a bunch lately so I haven't made much progress on the kayak. I should be able to work on it again soon...

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm
by Dougster
Well, Richard, I'd say fishing is high on the list of activities taking priority over boat building, so you're golden there. As for you needing help, given your skills imagine where that puts me 8O

Gets by on grace and mercy Dougster :)

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I got back to work on the kayak today. This pic doesn't look much different than the last stitched pic I posted but it is very different. I cut the boat apart and trimmed the side panels a little bit. All of the frames now fit and the boat has nice, fair curves. I'm happy.

I got going on the housing for the Hobie drive. I think 7" in height will keep the water from entering the cockpit, we will see. I used mahogany hardwood because I had some leftover from the XF20.

I'm putting in an aluminum insert for the spindle to ride in. I am going to glue the bar stock in the wood and cut a 1/2" slot in the aluminum for the spindle.

That's it for today, I plan to start tacking the hull together tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 pm
by Prarie Dog
Looking good Richard!!

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 am
by SmokyMountain
Looks great Richard. 8) I like the Hobie drive idea.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:24 am
by cottontop
That is going to be one "fine" kayak. I've seen the hobie gear in action. You are going to love it. John

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm
by jacquesmm
Aripeka Angler wrote: . . . I cut the boat apart and trimmed the side panels a little bit. All of the frames now fit and the boat has nice, fair curves. I'm happy.
Me too :D
I still own you a sheet of plywood.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Paul, Andy and John, thanks for your comments and support :D I appreciate it!
jacquesmm wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote: . . . I cut the boat apart and trimmed the side panels a little bit. All of the frames now fit and the boat has nice, fair curves. I'm happy.
Me too :D
I still own you a sheet of plywood.
Thanks! No big deal on the ply, just let me know when you are passing by. I will give you a cheap tour of my shop and maybe we can have a beer...

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am
by jacquesmm
I will have to check your address and see if I can get there towing a 5th wheel.
Each time I go to your area, I'm towing my camping trailer. Truck and trailer are about 50' long total and 20,000 lbs. I plan to put a sheet of plywood inside the trailer and deliver that way but I must be certain that i can get in and out of the neighborhood.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 am
by Prarie Dog
jacquesmm wrote:Truck and trailer are about 50' long total and 20,000 lbs
As long as it ain't snowing you're fine. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am
by Aripeka Angler
jacquesmm wrote:I will have to check your address and see if I can get there towing a 5th wheel.
Each time I go to your area, I'm towing my camping trailer. Truck and trailer are about 50' long total and 20,000 lbs. I plan to put a sheet of plywood inside the trailer and deliver that way but I must be certain that i can get in and out of the neighborhood.
Thanks for the reply :) The ply would be offloaded at my shop, you can turn around a double trailer semi rig in the front yard. The highway has little traffic, it's a low stress stop in any size rig. The address is the same one you always send the supplies to, 39241 Clinton Ave.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 am
by jacquesmm
Great, I'll email before my next trip.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am
by Dougster
What's up here Richard? I saw you included the PY12 with boats you're taking to the Florida builder's meet. You holding out on us with pics or is it a "gonna happen" thing :D I'm really curious how that mirage drive deal works out.

Snooping around Dougster

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm
by robbiro
Agree with Dougster. This will be my next build, have the plans, and will start getting materials shortly, but want to see how it all comes together. I have been watching this for awhile and need more boat porn on a smaller scale!!! :oops:

Robbie

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Dougster wrote:What's up here Richard? I saw you included the PY12 with boats you're taking to the Florida builder's meet. You holding out on us with pics or is it a "gonna happen" thing :D I'm really curious how that mirage drive deal works out.

Snooping around Dougster
Doug and Robbie, thanks for your interest and checking up on my build. Work/business has been very slow and rough lately, l have not been able to work much on the kayak. I WILL finish it before the meet though.
I'm a little embarrassed by my lack of progress...

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm
by Dougster
Aripeka Angler wrote: I'm a little embarrassed by my lack of progress...
I believe I wrote the book, bought the t-shirt, got it dirty, and bought another one on that lack of progress thing :)
Sorry to hear about the work struggles, we all know how that can be.

Says we'll both get there Dougster

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 pm
by robbiro
Amen and Oh ME!!!

Robbie :oops:

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm
by tobolamr
Aripeka Angler - Don't feel bad. I bought plans in 2003 and still haven't built a thing! :oops: :roll: :lol:

I hope business improves for you. We are seeing a MUCH better year so far at the store up here in WI. For what it's worth, my prayers will be with you!

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm
by AD16 The Opportunist
Well boys, here's the link to my gallery and my just finished PY12! 8) http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1575

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 am
by KeeperOfThePuros
Aripeka Angler wrote:
Dougster wrote:What's up here Richard? I saw you included the PY12 with boats you're taking to the Florida builder's meet. You holding out on us with pics or is it a "gonna happen" thing :D I'm really curious how that mirage drive deal works out.

Snooping around Dougster
Doug and Robbie, thanks for your interest and checking up on my build. Work/business has been very slow and rough lately, l have not been able to work much on the kayak. I WILL finish it before the meet though.
I'm a little embarrassed by my lack of progress...
Richard you don't know me but I'm new here and close by. If you need help I'm open to barter for my time. E-mail me. My addy is in my profile.

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Thanks for the reply and offer to help :D This build is kinda on hold right now due to a HUGE backlog at work. A couple of months ago I couldn't find any work and now 7 days a week and 14 hours a day can't get me caught up :doh: I'm not complaining though 8)

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 pm
by Prarie Dog
Glad you got busy Richard. That Plyak will be there when you get caught up. :D