FL14 paint

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ausie
Active Poster
Active Poster

Fl 14 paint

Post by ausie »

Sorry John from Darwin,yes I saw your little gem...what are you building? ...I have forgotten.Al.

JohnH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JohnH »

Hi Al,

I'm building nothing at the moment. I have ordered a set of OB15 plans as a starting point. The waters up here require something a bit bigger, maybe a c19. Although the smaller boats/flat bottomed are good for getting up some of the creeks and laying some crab traps. (Trouble with the small boats is the salt-water lizards might jump in and have a bite......)

Big Muddies up here and the odd Blue Swimmer. I caught a Blue Swimmer down your way at Tea Gardens a number of years ago.

I had a feed of Flat Head the other day too, but not from my line sadly.

Regards
John

st
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by st »

John, What bait are the lizards taking at the moment? I suppose you’ll be using suicide hooks.

Grant, Why does your Grizzly hang around with a donkey? I don’t get it!

Scott.

JohnH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JohnH »

Scott,

The "salt water lizards" like Steve Irwin lures. :wink:

Regards
John

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

Fellas,

I'm just about finished with the boat. I always liked the webbing effect that bay boats had on their paint job and decided to give this a try. Someone on this board suggested the Krylon webbing spray and I bought two cans of the black lava. It sprayed on beautifully. I then added the hardware. I should pick up the trailer tomorrow and hopefully launch it this week!

Grant

st
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by st »

Nice work there Grant, the webbing spray has turned out great and your smiling so that’s a good sign. It’s almost time to get that baby wet.

I’m no expert but you might have a problem. I know the plans say skeg or runners, but I’m pretty sure that it means something other than the runners I see you’ve stuck under the transom. :lol:

Have fun, Scott.

JamesSloan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JamesSloan »

Grant,

The webbing spray turned out nicely. Can you 'splain a little about your technique? I've never used this stuff before, but your pics have got me thinking.... :doh:

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

Scott, I'm convinced Aussie's do good work. (Sorry, Grant not Scott) Tell us about the launch, power? tiller extension? Also, are the non boat paint spider webs adhereing? Sure looks good and helps with sun glare.
Last edited by Lon on Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

James,

The paint did it all. It has some type of special nozzle on it that sprays the paint out in a random pattern. You just pass over the surface holding the can 12-18" above what you want to paint. It was a little difficult on the vertical panels, as I had to get the can a little bit closer to the surface. I practiced on some cardboard beforehand. The paint dries almost immediately and you can't scratch or scrape it off. It should wear pretty well. The paint comes in very small spray cans--about half as big as a normal spray paint can. I used two cans to coat my boat.

Lon,

We are planning on launching in a private lake that a friend of mine has access to. We haven't purchased an outboard yet, so we will be using a trolling motor. The webbing spray stuck very well, and yes, it should definitely help with the glare, as well as hiding all of those tiny imperfections in my fairing job!

Grant

ausie
Active Poster
Active Poster

FL14 paint

Post by ausie »

Mate,

You've got one good looking boat there!....the spider-web pattern was something I considered on my GV11 when I realised how much sanding there was to do,but now a year down the track,I have much the same finish in some parts,with stains around the inside of the boat from blue/black dye in the 2-stroke oil,blood stains from fish/bait/clumsy fishermen,black dye from angry squid just caught & brought aboard, & sundry bumps & grazes.

btw,you could do with a few rod holders around the boat....check out Lon's GV11 pics & you'll see them strategically placed around his boat.....of course he uses them for storing his flag,lantern, walking stick,tobacco pipe,as well as fishing rods..hehehe!

btw,what's your next project?...Al.Burke.