Page 1 of 1

FL14 paint

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:10 pm
by Grant
Priming and painting the hull. I should flip tomorrow and begin on the interior. I'm just trying to do my part as a faithful member of the "Bale of Skiffs" club!

Grant

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:38 am
by st
Grant said
I'm just trying to do my part as a faithful member of the "Bale of Skiffs" club!
Do or do not! There is no try!

It's looking like it's almost ready. I can see what you meant about those runners and having to hold them down during cure.

Scott.

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:37 pm
by Lon
Grant, good job. I like runners better than the skeg - did it on mine.

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:34 pm
by Grant
Thanks guys.

For Scott: "Walk on road. Walk on left side, safe. Walk on right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape."

Grant
P.S. Always wanted to ask you, what in the HECK is that avatar picture that you use, some kind of Australian Boogy Man?

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:59 pm
by st
Avatar is Mojo Jojo of course. He used to be Professor Utonium's lab assistant until a spill of ‘Chemical X’ transformed him into an evil genius. The bandages cover his enormous brain that exploded through his skull.
Scott.

PS When the boat is trimmed correctly in the water the runners seem a better option over the skeg for bottom protection.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:23 am
by flydangler
st wrote:When the boat is trimmed correctly in the water the runners seem a better option over the skeg for bottom protection.
Methinks better for the bottom when beaching too, eh? I wonder how they affect handling in different conditions, if at all.

Are my old eyes failing me, or was Grant's boat built with more freeboard than the plans call for?

Never one for stirring any pots, I'm just trying to learn as much and get as many good ideas as I can before building mine in the spring. Heck, I've already got half the garage cleaned out, even found a good fishing rod I hadn't seen since about 1985.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:41 pm
by Grant
Pat,

I doubt that your eyes are failing you, but it must just be the picture. I followed the plans to the letter and everything came together very easily and nicely. The only modifications I made were to divide up the areas under the seats into separate compartments for foam and storage. Good luck when you begin building, and definitely dust off all of the old fishing equipment, as once you finish your boat, you'll likely need it!

Grant

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:58 pm
by ross61
Hey Grant,

Great to see you back at it!! She's looking really good, and I'm sure you'll still beat me to the water, cause ITS 5 FREAKING DEGREES FARENHEIT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care - more pics please,

Ross

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:34 pm
by Grant
Hey Ross!

Hope you are doing well. Man, I figured that you would have launched already. I forgot where you were posting from! It is actually unseasonably warm here--it was 68 degrees today, great fishing weather. If I had the boat finished we could have already launched actually. Sorry to say it, and it doesn't seem quite fair, but I probably WILL beat you to the launch! This summer when it is 105 in the shade down here I'm sure that I will be willing to trade some 5 degree weather for the oppressive heat and humidity.

I primed the inside today. I plan on priming another coat tomorrow and possibly putting on the first coat of "vanishing white". I bought a couple of cans of the black webbing spray (someone posted some info about it a few months back) and plan on putting that on top of the off-white. I'll upload some pics and post them tomorrow. Take care.

Grant

FL14 paint

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:38 am
by ausie
Mate!

Id be careful if I were you...painting your boat 'VANISHING WHITE' could cause you serious problems...how the hell are you gunna find it?!..like the first set of oars I made...instead of using spruce or oregon, I used 'CLEAR PINE'....all well & good, but the first time I put 'em down I was buggered if I could find 'em again!

Al.Burke

GV11,CC14,2xsets of oars( from bateau link)

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:49 pm
by Grant
Al,

Funny post. I hadn't really thought about the color name of the paint until you posted that. I put on one coat today and it's bright enough that the reflection will definitely help me with any "location" problems! Pics will be posted possibly tomorrow.

Grant

FL14 paint

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:47 pm
by ausie
Grant mate,
I see you're a Texan....why don't you whack a dirty great Yellow Rose on the old girl!?...that would stand out & help you find her!...you could even cut out some of those floatation foam sheets you were talking about in the shape of yellow roses & stick-em all round under the gunnals & help with buoyancy ..."there's a yellow rose of Texas that I'm a goin' to see,dahdahdahdahdah,dahdahdahdahdahdah"....just a thought!

Al Burke :lol:

FL14 paint

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:52 pm
by ausie
Scotty,do your own dirty work in future.
Al :!: :roll:

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:27 am
by Grant
Al,

You just had to go there man! So, it seems that you and Scott are good "Mates". I've learned a ton from PM's conversing with Scott concerning the deadly monster "roos" that you've got down there. I should have persuaded Scott to somehow attempt to incorporate the "roo" concept into his boat name. But not to worry my friend, this yellow rose will be setting sail very soon! :D

Grant

FL14 paint

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:13 am
by ausie
Good on yah mate!

Love the outside colour.....I agree with Lon & the other 'experts' about the value of the 3 skegs vs a single centre one....on a boat like this it will not be detrimental to performance & is very practical as they can be replaced easily as they wear down.

Scott still has testosterone flowing in his young veins, where old farts like Lon & I have cholesterol,triglycerides & hope.....but boat building & just thinking about boat building keeps us all going.

Al Burke

FL14 paint

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:22 am
by ausie
Oh,

& if the 'deadly roos' Scotty was talking about were only 6'-8' tall,then they were probably only southern grasshoppers......you should see REAL ROOS!!...bigger & nastier than Lon Underhills grizly bears!!!
Al.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:29 am
by JohnH
Off topic but couldn't resist.....Are you reading this Al?

There was a Texan came to an outabck cattle property and began braggin about how big his ranch was...."Why I can get on my horse and ride all day and still not get to the back boundry of my spread." The Aussie cattle man replied, "Yeah mate. I had a horse like that once."

Cheers
John

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:03 pm
by Grant
Fellas,

You Aussies sure do gang up on us Texas boys. And also, since we are leaning up against the fencepost having a discussion about this, it is really not apples to apples comparing Texas (a single state) to Australia, or as it is more affectionately named "The Outback" (which is an entire nation). Texas IS roughly 10% of the land mass of Australia, and it is only one state. Can we at least get some props for that?

Grant
P.S. I would really like to see a Roo kick a Grizzly bears ass! :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:53 pm
by Grant
Some updated progress:

Got the topcoat applied to the interior. I masked off some areas on the floor and added some nonskid into the paint. You can't see it very good in these pics; I will post some better ones later. I plan on adding some black webbing over the topcoat color. I've got the paint, just have to wait until it warms up a touch. Then add hardware and it will be complete.

Grant

FL14 paint

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:20 am
by ausie
Good feeling when you get to this stage of completion , isn't it!?...just adding the finishing touches & seeing what else could be added....just about to paint my 15' paddle/surf ski(not bateau) sort of sad to see the project come to an end.....but there lurk all manner of projects just around the corner...GV13 with centre console,DE23(ahhhh,I dream about this design),30' Wharram Tiki cat(stitch& glue)....I'm an addict!..too many boats,not enough time....my princess is starting to question where the heck we are going to store all (3) of these boats.

Looking good mate,looking forward to seeing you launch it.

btw,I've never met that young rascal, Scott,but I hope to organise an Ausie get-together in the not too distant future....as usual,distance between builders is the problem,but rest assured this will happen.

Al Burke

Fl 14 paint

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:25 am
by ausie
Sorry John from Darwin,yes I saw your little gem...what are you building? ...I have forgotten.Al.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:32 am
by JohnH
Hi Al,

I'm building nothing at the moment. I have ordered a set of OB15 plans as a starting point. The waters up here require something a bit bigger, maybe a c19. Although the smaller boats/flat bottomed are good for getting up some of the creeks and laying some crab traps. (Trouble with the small boats is the salt-water lizards might jump in and have a bite......)

Big Muddies up here and the odd Blue Swimmer. I caught a Blue Swimmer down your way at Tea Gardens a number of years ago.

I had a feed of Flat Head the other day too, but not from my line sadly.

Regards
John

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:00 pm
by st
John, What bait are the lizards taking at the moment? I suppose you’ll be using suicide hooks.

Grant, Why does your Grizzly hang around with a donkey? I don’t get it!

Scott.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:03 am
by JohnH
Scott,

The "salt water lizards" like Steve Irwin lures. :wink:

Regards
John

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:35 pm
by Grant
Fellas,

I'm just about finished with the boat. I always liked the webbing effect that bay boats had on their paint job and decided to give this a try. Someone on this board suggested the Krylon webbing spray and I bought two cans of the black lava. It sprayed on beautifully. I then added the hardware. I should pick up the trailer tomorrow and hopefully launch it this week!

Grant

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:32 pm
by st
Nice work there Grant, the webbing spray has turned out great and your smiling so that’s a good sign. It’s almost time to get that baby wet.

I’m no expert but you might have a problem. I know the plans say skeg or runners, but I’m pretty sure that it means something other than the runners I see you’ve stuck under the transom. :lol:

Have fun, Scott.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:21 pm
by JamesSloan
Grant,

The webbing spray turned out nicely. Can you 'splain a little about your technique? I've never used this stuff before, but your pics have got me thinking.... :doh:

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:53 am
by Lon
Scott, I'm convinced Aussie's do good work. (Sorry, Grant not Scott) Tell us about the launch, power? tiller extension? Also, are the non boat paint spider webs adhereing? Sure looks good and helps with sun glare.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:15 am
by Grant
James,

The paint did it all. It has some type of special nozzle on it that sprays the paint out in a random pattern. You just pass over the surface holding the can 12-18" above what you want to paint. It was a little difficult on the vertical panels, as I had to get the can a little bit closer to the surface. I practiced on some cardboard beforehand. The paint dries almost immediately and you can't scratch or scrape it off. It should wear pretty well. The paint comes in very small spray cans--about half as big as a normal spray paint can. I used two cans to coat my boat.

Lon,

We are planning on launching in a private lake that a friend of mine has access to. We haven't purchased an outboard yet, so we will be using a trolling motor. The webbing spray stuck very well, and yes, it should definitely help with the glare, as well as hiding all of those tiny imperfections in my fairing job!

Grant

FL14 paint

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:42 am
by ausie
Mate,

You've got one good looking boat there!....the spider-web pattern was something I considered on my GV11 when I realised how much sanding there was to do,but now a year down the track,I have much the same finish in some parts,with stains around the inside of the boat from blue/black dye in the 2-stroke oil,blood stains from fish/bait/clumsy fishermen,black dye from angry squid just caught & brought aboard, & sundry bumps & grazes.

btw,you could do with a few rod holders around the boat....check out Lon's GV11 pics & you'll see them strategically placed around his boat.....of course he uses them for storing his flag,lantern, walking stick,tobacco pipe,as well as fishing rods..hehehe!

btw,what's your next project?...Al.Burke.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:16 pm
by Grant
Al,

Thanks for the comments. :D I can't wait till splash day! I'm sure that you're right; after a few outings the webbing will blend in with all of the other "common" boating stains that are routinely encountered. We are planning on adding some rod holders in the near future. We just wanted to take it out and fish out of it a few times to see where they would be best situated. We have been talking of possibly doing some night fishing..........so maybe Lon had it right after all--those aren't rod holders, just lantern holders!

I've been doing a lot of looking at the plans, and my next project will probably be either the OD 16 or the PH16, with me leaning toward the Phantom!

Grant

FL14

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:50 am
by ausie
Mate,

Check with Lon....he sent me some pics of a green light he uses at night to attract bait fish which,in turn, attracts bigger fish....not something we normally do here at night in Aus, but has me intrigued, & so I am going to try it ....we do use powerful white lights to attract squid at night, but the green ones are new....maybe attract Irish squid?!...silly joke with a name like Burke,faith & begorrah!

Happy fishing.

Al Burke