FL12 Glue for battens

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FL12 Glue for battens

Post by pblas »

Thanks, I have some torx deck screws. They're long but I won't drive them in all the way.
Last edited by pblas on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Also, 'crack' the screws about 6/8 hours later (unscrew 1/16th of a turn and then re-tighten). The epoxy is strong enough to not care at that point, and it won't re-bond to the screw. I 'screwed' this up once and had to heat gun the screw heads to soften the epoxy around them so they wouldn't break. I also follow Larry's idea. Digging drywall screws out becasue they snapped off is no fun!
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pblas »

Thanks for the additional tip. Drywall screws are hardened and prone to snapping under pressure. I am away from the boat during the week and won't be going there this weekend so I'm kind of chomping at the bit. This is my first and I am over the top excited!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I try to loosen "crack" them by hand with a screw driver, then spin them out with drill/driver; cuts down on broken off screw heads.

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

I use my hammer drill in reverse to back out the cheap drywall screws. Works like a charm.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo