Wade's GV10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Wade's GV10

Post by wadestep »

I'm going to go ponder the situation, but I'll definatly be glassing it. I've been also reading all about plywood stiffness, and it seems that glassing it would really add to the strength. I may install a transom thickener on the interior face of the transom as well. I'm going to ponder it a little more this weekend.

Not much work got done this past weekend due to some Continuing Education I had to take on Sat, and then Muzzleloading season on Sun. I drew a permit to hunt Picayune Strand - East of Naples, FL. The only problem is that everything was underwater! Hard to hunt when the road on the high ground looks like this:
This is Robin standing smack in the middle of the road:

We only saw one doe, one fawn. And a small buck someone else was skinning. Not too much luck. Oh well. I've got a jeep that sits about 6-7" higher than normal and even it was almost getting water in the doors in some of the potholes in the road. The exhaust was sounding like an inboard boat engine - underwater!
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's how my driveway has looked for most of the summer :lol:

I like hunting flooded swamps, it concentrates the game on the high spots. Also concentrates the snakes! Much easier to drag a deer or hog through water too.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

got a little more work done this weekend. The inside is mostly sanded and faired - maybe just one more round of fairing to go. I'm going to kiwi-grip the hull and slightly up the sides anyways, so the tape seams on the bottom I can cover with one round of quick-fair. Then flipped it over, did a little more prep-sanding, and spread the graphite+epoxy down. Sure does leave a shiny surface!

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Well, looks like I've let my own thread die out here. Actually, between hunting season, holidays, and being swamped with seasonal 'snowbirds' (tourists) at work, not a ton has gotten done on the GV10 in 4-6 months. It hasn't been at a complete standstill, but very little progress.
However, the northerners are going home bit by bit, and so I'm getting more free time. Today I ground/sanded the bulkhead where it meets the back of the seats. That is there for kicking protection and to give me something to pour foam inside.

As the boat sits there, it weighs 130#. Modifications vs the plans which say it should only weigh 95 lbs:
1) raised the sheer by 1.5-2"
2) everything is glassed, inside and out
3) reinforced for bow eye
4) a little extra wood/glass around the transom due to a heavy 4-stroke motor

Things that will still increase it's weight:
a) cleats
b) a little more glass on those seat bulkheads
c) poured in foam
d) 2 coats of epoxy, a little primer, and paint above the waterline.

I'm hoping to get all that done for about 10#. Unfortunately, I'm out of 6oz woven, and will be using 10oz woven for the little glassing left.

Honestly, I've now got enough experience after building the OB19 to be pretty sure I'm coming in better than 50/50% epoxy to fiberglass by weight, and my fillets are fairly small. I used MUCH less fairing compound on this boat than when I was a neophyte. So I don't think I could shave 5lbs off this boat even if I had been the most epoxy-stingy person on the planet. It must be the extra sheer height, seat bracing, and fiberglass.
wade

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

update:
getting a single coat of neat epoxy:

and then about 2 coats of epoxy-based primer on the areas I'm going to paint. The rest I'm going to use kiwi-grip with varying textures.
wade

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

That looks great, it really shows this isn't your first 8) No sole in this boat or removable floor panels?

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

very likely one removable floor panel in the center. That should be enough to keep feet dry. Emphasis right now on not getting any heavier, since I'm just going to have it hanging from a piling davit, and also hope to be loading it in/out of truck bed occasionally.
wade

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

update??

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I'll get on it soon, with pictures.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Well, since the last update, I kiwi-gripped the insides. The sole is the normal (for me) Kiwigrip pattern:
but I decited to do the seats also. After some experimentation, I used a roller with a fuzzy nap, and came up with a cool looking kiwigrip pattern:
It actually looks like a wood-grain type texture, and I used it on the seat tops, so as to be a little more forgiving on the behind!

I also poured 2-part foam under the seats, but only under the back half of the seats. Then I cut it smooth and glassed it for abrasion resistance right at the frame/seat support. My calculations show this to be enough to provide positive buoyancy, but it hasn't been fully tested yet.

Finally, I threw it into the canal, then hung the motor on. It's a 9.9 mercury pro-kicker, so it's heavy and the original push-prop wouldn't plane the boat at all - I was hitting the redline before planning speed. So, I purchased a 9.25 dia x 10" pich prop and tested it out..... drumroll please.....