5Men GV11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 5Men GV11

Post by kelpkritter »

Well after a bit of a building hiatus due to a few fishing tournaments over the past couple of weekends I was back at it last night.

Worked on the section between the aft and mid seats. Working wet on wet I spread neat epoxy over the entire surface and then laid a fillet along the chine, keel, and the seams at the seat frames where they meet the full bottom hull panels. Next I laid the tape on the chine and keel seams. Finally I laid a layer of 12 biax along the bottom and worked the ends up the seat frames to tie them into the hull. All in all it came out really well and will only have minor cleanup on the one edge of the biax that was pretty frayed where it came off of the roll.

Now it is on to the aft section.

Chine and seat frame seams.

DaveB.
Keel seam.

Mid section.

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

Been away from the boat for a while now doing some fishing and lure making but it was time to get back at it. Laid a layer of 12 ounce biax on the bottom, gave it a light sanding, and only had one small problem where I got a little air bubble at the bow where I did not round over the edge quite as much as needed. Prepped the sides for the 9 ounce woven cloth. Getting ready to spread the resin on the sides this morning once I pick up some supplies from the big box store.

DaveB.
KelpKritter

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

The winter months do not leave me much free time because of of a heavier work load so when I get a few minutes to sneak away to work on the boat I can only get a little done at a time. When I get back in the house my better half does not like me on the computer doing more boat and fishing stuff so it was hard to keep things updated as I went along. Here is a pretty thorough recap with pictures to get to this point. Hopefully this will help anyone who builds the same boat. Paint will arrive on Wednesday and along with doing the graphite bottom she will be finished and ready for her maiden voyage real soon!

Dam made op to hold thickened epoxy at chine and transom to sharpen the edge.

Boat flipped and bottom stiffeners filleted and taped in place.

Spray rail temporarily screwed and glued in place.

Transom gussets filleted and taped in place.

Inside hull panels glassed and ready to be trimmed. Also made a clamping board on the bow to hold a stern mount trolling motor. 3/4" Douglas Fir inside and out.

Seat tops glued and taped in place.

Modified the transom knees like seen in Steven's GV11. Ties the stern together nicely with room for a rod holder and stern cleat. Holes over drilled ready for wood flour/epoxy putty to be re-drilled to proper size.

Bow seat and added frame to create some storage area glued and glassed in place.

Face of transom knee finished off. Also added a layer of extruded polystyrene under knee to give some more floatation foam.

Boat pulled out into yard to get some better light, do some marking for paint, and of course test out the seating arrangements!

Almost done.

DaveB.
KelpKritter

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

Finished sanding the hull exterior and called it good with the smoothness more to the "workboat" side of the spectrum than a "yacht" finish. Bottom is graphite infused epoxy and went on real easy. Paint is Petite EasyPoxy which I have used before and was very happy with it for its durability and cost effectiveness. Color choices are limited and it is not recommended to tint any of these paints to change the tone. Was hoping for more of a slate blue but this will have to do. Rubrail and interior will be "Mist Grey" which is nearly white. The contrast will look nice.

Two coats of graphite and epoxy covering bottom.

Shiny with a little stipple!!!

Bikini Blue hullsides.

I will get a few more coats on in the next few days but I have a tournament this Saturday so it won't be till next week before she is done. Just in time to splash over Spring Break.

DaveB.
KelpKritter

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Neat little boat Dave, your boys will love it I'm sure :)

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

The GV11 is now completed.

Transom knee with stern cleat and rod holder mounted in place.

Port side with graphite bottom, Petite EasyPoxy Bikini Blue hullsides, and Mist Grey rubrail and interior.

Stern view.

Mid seat with Bateau logo. All seat tops and sole finished with Behr Non-Skid that I sprinkled on after rolling out paint and then rolled again to embed in paint. This worked much better than mixing the non-skid into the paint as directed. Found much better control of the finished product simply shaking it out of 99 cent store salt shaker.

Will be able to launch next week Wednesday and will be counting the days. Going to start with a borrowed 8HP Johnson and go from there.

Until then.

DaveB.
KelpKritter

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Image Beautiful job you did, love the logo Image
Good luck and have loads of fun on the launch day Image

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Nice looking boat, congratulations.

Before the advent of KiwiGrip, I used the salt shaker method: spread sand over wet paint with a large salt shaker then one more coat of paint.
Now that we have Kiwigrip, I never use sand anymore.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com