FL14 - Hull Painted

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

Should I paint or varnish the interior of my FL14?

Paint (sand Color)
87%
Varnish and keep the interior bright.
13%

Total votes: 23

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I like the idea of paint with bright work accents (top of seats, bow, rails, etc...)

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Paint vs bright

Post by cottontop »

I'm with most everyone here. Your boat looks great!!!! I like some bright work(seat tops and rails) the rest paint. cottontop :lol:

Kent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kent »

Thanks for all the comments. :D I have the first coat of primer on the inside and should have the next coat on by the weekend. Painting the inside is much tougher than painting the outside. I will leave the trim and seat tops bright. Interior will be a light sandy color.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Sounds good. That brightwork will truly stand out against the paint next to it. I was amazed how much this was the case when I primed the interior of the cuddy, but had masked off the cleats for mounting the cuddy top. Almost made me not want to put the top on when I pulled off the masking tape and saw that wood next to the primed surface. I think you're gonna like it when the masking is pulled away!

I sprayed the primer and it was awkward getting the gun around to cover all those corners and up under the cleats. Are you brushing? I was going to do that first but figured I'd lean all over wet primer!

looking forward to more pictures.

sincerely,
ks

Kent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL14 Launch Pics

Post by Kent »

http://eshare.hpphoto.com/start.asp?Job ... 6d718a14d9

Three years ago I took on this project. My life wasn't busy until I wanted to build a boat. Sat. 9th of july Grandpa, the boys and myself took her out. Wow! What a ride! It rows great. 30# electric motor pushes her right along. Great fishing boat! :D

Trailer was an old tent trailer that I tore apart and modified. The weight seems to be right on the springs. I had to extend the tougne and build the bunks.

I found some folding cleats at our army surplus store that worked out great. 8)
http://eshare.hpphoto.com/start.asp?Job ... 5f4f03ce16

The only problem I had was upon returning home found some checking on the rear floor where the bunks put stress in transit. :help: Anyone have suggestions on repair. I was thinking of sanding down to epoxy on the floors, glassing and repainting. I might try to make a larger bunk. I am open to suggestions.

pirate
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pirate »

your boat looks great! i would keep it bright, "if" you keep it covered or out of the sun when not in use. the biggest enemy of varnish is the sun, but if its stored protected, the finish should last a long time. i used to live on a sailboat in the harsh marine socal sun. i had to put 2-3 coats of varnish about every 4 months to keep the exposed brightwork fresh & shiny. the wood that's protected still looks great after many years. that's my 2¢.

(i'm almost finished with my fl11 & plan to keep the interior bright)
messing about with boats