Corsair 11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

BTW, regarding building complexity, IMHO there isn't much difference between AR15, CR13 or CR11.
For what I've seen from your pictures, their basic structures (meaning bulkheads, hull and decks) are about the same. The differences have to do with each boat's size and potential performance, hence different scantlings. This means more material to use, more work to be done but not necessarily greater difficulty.
Regarding rigging, that's where the AR15 can become more complex, specially if you want to really take advantage of the larger sail area. But again, the basic layout is (or can be) about the same for the three models referred.

JG

esparver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by esparver »

Jonnas wrote:BTW, regarding building complexity, IMHO there isn't much difference between AR15, CR13 or CR11.
For what I've seen from your pictures, their basic structures (meaning bulkheads, hull and decks) are about the same. The differences have to do with each boat's size and potential performance, hence different scantlings. This means more material to use, more work to be done but not necessarily greater difficulty.
Regarding rigging, that's where the AR15 can become more complex, specially if you want to really take advantage of the larger sail area. But again, the basic layout is (or can be) about the same for the three models referred.
JG
Well I think there is, at least a bit. Oscar (Xor) is my brother-in-law and he's building the AR-15 (Look at Xor's building gallery) so I'm following very close the AR-15 and CR-11 building processes. The main diffferences appart from size are that AR-15 has a false sole, pivoting centerboard and is multichined and IMO the CR-11 plans are more detailed. In any case everybody can build both without many problems, so good luck and keep us posted.

Best regards,
- Jordi -

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

Oscar (Xor) is my brother-in-law and he's building the AR-15
So Jordi,

I bet you will also be sailing the AR15 but, smartly, let your brother-in-law take care of the more complex building ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just kidding. Good luck to both of you. Please keep posting pictures to help motivate others to build (myself included :wink: )

Best regards.
JG

esparver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by esparver »

Time to upload more pictures and keep you posted about my CR11 building:

After hull was stitched, I applied first epoxy layer in&out, epoxy+filler tabs, removed the plastic ties and sanded it. Then I applied tape in keel, chines, etc... first rubrail layer (6mm plywood) and made the centreboard hole in the keel:

Finishing the rubrail (3 layers of 6 mm plywood):

Ready to the FG:

Cheers,
Last edited by esparver on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jordi -

esparver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by esparver »

Detail of the transom ready for fillet and Fiberglass, note red lines for the biaxial double tape to be laid correctly overlapped.

And the work afterwards, all wet on wet:

This is already the second epoxy layer. I hope soon I'll be able to show you the whole interior completely fiberglassed.

Regards,
Last edited by esparver on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jordi -

esparver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by esparver »

I'm back into business!

Following the plans and further Jacques’ recommendations I’ve cut in the bottom of the CR-11 the whole hole for the daggerboard case, not only for the daggerboard itself…

And installed it with some spots of epoxy + fillers.

Then I made some fiberglass work! Soon the interior will be finished and I’ll work on the rigging:

Last edited by esparver on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jordi -

esparver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by esparver »

Finally the interior fiberglass work is completely done!!!! 8)

The aft part of the daggerboard case is reinforced to support the mainsheet:

And the daggerboard and rudder are shaped to a NACA profile (well, more or less...):

Regards,
Last edited by esparver on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jordi -

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

And not one drop of resin on those nice tiles . . . :)
Nice and clean job.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Now let's see the work area where he actually builds it... somehow I don't think people are dining at that table while the sander is going... :lol:

Looks like a nice sturdy little boat. The study plans are certainly helpful, but pictures like these do tell a more personal story that encourages the whole *Hey, I'm building a boat!* thing. Looks great. Thanks for the postings.

ks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Jordi, she is looking great.

I wish I had a corsair :D