OptiMystics WV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: WV13

Post by pee wee »

Looking forward to watching this come together. I've been thinking this would be a fun build, and a useful little boat. :D
Hank

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

Test fit. I worried over butt joining with just glass tape for no reason; the planks feel solid. The epoxy needs to cure a little longer before I properly trim and sand the glass tape, but I wanted to see how close the fit is. I just attached the bottom sides to the bottom with a few pieces of painter's tape and then I also held up one of the top side planks to see how it will fit. I don't think I will have any trouble stitching it; the fit is pretty good.

Kind of exciting; finally to the point where someone walking up on it might realize what I am making.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

looking good! I wouldnt worry about those glassed butt joints my whole boat is held togeather with them :-)
Novi 23 finally launched !

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

topwater wrote:looking good! I wouldnt worry about those glassed butt joints my whole boat is held togeather with them :-)
Funny thing is I was worried about the planks hinging or breaking there but it actually seems slightly stiffer through that section. But it does bend through the section, so it isn't brittle or anything; just a slightly stronger spring through that part.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

After many thousands boats built that way, you can trust the method.
Be optimistic. :)
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

Sorry about the blurry photo. This was early on; there are more stitches and better alignment now.

I stitched over the weekend and glued it enough to hold the shape so I can work out some interior details before I move on to full gluing and glassing (could end up making more stitches/holes).

Anyway, I found a build of a different kayak that has a home built rod pod in it as an example to go by.

From this page: http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 0&start=60

a few posts down, you see it out of the yak. Skip ahead to page 10 and you will see it in the yak.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Any progress on the kayak? Pictures would be nice, too. :D
Hank

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I am terrible about that, sorry. I have made progress. It has glass on the hull but my craftsmanship is not that great. It also has holes in it with fiberglass tubes epoxied in to make it more of a SOT. I am using the plans to get a good hull design and bulkhead placement and kind of veering off. The cockpit will be sculpted styrofom that I glass over. Right now the interior looks like a canoe with standpipes coming out of the floor; they will be drains. I will try to get some pictures this weekend.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OptiMystics WV13

Post by dbcrx »

Just to save any confusion (by me mostly), I've changed the topic of this thread to "OptiMystics WV13". I started the thread in anticipation of my build but still haven't started it yet. After being too busy, not having space, making the rudder for the SK16 instead and generally doing other stuff, lunchtime work conversations have now led to another little project and the materials that were waiting to be the WV13 are now being turned into something else. :roll: I won't post too much on the actual build as it's not a Bateau design (we've come up with our own designs! :help: ) but may post a quick pic or two when it's done - if it floats.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OptiMystics WV13

Post by dbcrx »

PS. looking forward to seeing more of yours OptiMystic. Sounds like it's getting interesting.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket