FL 14 in Florida Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FL 14 in Florida Build

Post by 94'325is »

I have the inside glassed and structurally completed. Where the resin was a little thick from where I applied it Wednesday evening I noticed this morning it was still a little soft. It feels hard but if you push your nail into it you can leave a small impression. My garage has been in the 60s lately so would this be a reason for it not being completely hard at this point? The weather is supposed to warm up to the 80s this weekend so I'm hoping that will be warm enough to complete the cure process.

Vanagod
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Vanagod »

Which speed hardener are you using?
-Aaron
"A-Ron the relentless"

Soli Deo Gloria
Semper Reformanda

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Slow. These were the first batches that I mixed with the pumps, before for the butt blocks I poured the amounts and it seemed to give me a very good cure.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is normal for slow hardener and cool temperatures. It will completely cure in a another day or 2. As long as it's curing at all, it will continue to do so.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't extremely worried due to like you said it's started the cure already but I wanted to make sure this was normal. Thanks to a 40 degree temperature swing this weekend should be good epoxying weather and I have the bottom glassing for Sunday.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

This weekend I prepped the bottom and chines then glassed everything. I did a second layer of epoxy this morning for a little extra material buildup. The first coat went on very well with a roller and but I figured since the reason I glassed the bottom was to be able to beach it another layer of epoxy wouldn't hurt. Next step is to flip it and start working on building the decks/seats. Overall I'm really pleased with how this is turning out so far, can't wait to see it in the water the first time.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am moving this to the non-technical section.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Haven't done an update in a little while, I'm still making good progress despite the cold weather (cold for Florida at least) and feeling under the weather.

Got the outside glassed:

Made a cart out of some 2x4s, castors and foam to move it around the garage easier:

I flipped it and built the rear frames for the seat and a storage area in the middle:

Then finally glassed the entire inside. I put cloth down on the decks where I will be standing/fishing the most for abrasion resistance. Since it's a displacement boat and will be trailered I'm not too concerned with weight, within reason of course.

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have pictures of the decks/seats being mocked up.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Worked on the front deck this weekend and got the hatches cut. Looks rough still since it's not sanded/painted yet but i really like the fitment of it. I am planning on having a built in cooler on one side and the other side will be dry storage. For the cooler side I am going to use foam insulation and install a drain pipe for draining water out at the end of the day.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Another update, got the hatches, front deck, cooler and deck installed. Just need to build the interior of the center seat and construction should be over then it's fairing and sanding time.