FL 14 in Florida Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FL 14 in Florida Build

Post by 94'325is »

Thanks for the suggestion, I never put any thought into the rubrail since I always had so much more work to do.

Just to clarify is it an acceptable option to screw a teak rubrail to the outside of the boat (teak will be multiple layers, probably close to 1" thick)?

If not, 1/4 strips of spare plywood epoxied into place then the sacrificial teak rubrail screwed to that?

Thanks again for the help, other than filling the tackle boxes and rigging it for fishing this should be my last step!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Screwed layers of teak without epoxy glue will not be as strong as a laminated rubrail.
The problem with teak is that it does not bond with epoxy as well as mots other woods unless the teak is very dry.
Try it. You can always replace the rubrail later if it is not strong enough.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Bought a brand new 4hp Tohatsu 4 stroke, looks like it's going to be a great engine. I know Jacques says this isn't a planing boat but it almost got on plane, even with an engine with less than an hour on it. It definitely pushes it much faster than the 24lb trolling motor I had on for the first trip. This weekend is going to be the first trip to Mosquito Lagoon where I hope the boat will primarily be used.

(excuse the Carolina Skiff shirt)

I built an engine stand out of the leftover wood from the boat stand, a large rubbermaid container fits in the middle perfectly for flushing and being on wheels it's easy to move around the garage.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

I went out to the Indian River Lagoon this weekend, pretty rough out there but the boat took the waves fine. Very stable with 2 people fishing and I burned about 0.5 gallons of gas running for 3 hours. Can't really beat that!

Did a little bass fishing on a local lake too, there's no curse on this boat!