TJ's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: TJ's V10

Post by Cracker Larry »

Whatever it takes 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

that will work just fine!

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

….
….

just keep in mind the forces that are there when you remove the ties and franken bolt :oops: :oops:

doooh :help:

. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yikes!!
I'm assuming that's what happened to you?
It has occurred to me that I might put two or three strategically placed pieces of glass tape on the stem and turn of the bilge in the center, after goop but before pulling the bolt and ties, to reduce the possibility of this happening. Your picture is a cautionary tale, for sure. There is quite a bit of force on that bolt. I don't think it will add all that much to the fairing process.
Tony

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Oh, yeah, been through it many times and am grateful for the pictures. I mistakenly gave gk108 credit for your bow solution...it was you who did the screws. But is that the one that sproinged open when you undid the ties? I'm not remembering which one of you guys came up with the frankenbolt, although I don't think he called it that.
I'm hoping to tidy things up this weekend and perhaps apply the goop and a couple of little pieces of glass tape at the bow. I need to shave down two of the frames just a bit as particularly the stern one stands proud of the gunwale about 1/4" when it is firmly sitting on the butt blocks.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Spent the day fine tuning the hull and frames. The instructions say you're supposed to put the frames and sides together and then lay the pieces for the bottom on that and trace the outline. Because the bow bends in about sixteen dimensions, I found this beyond my talents so I just cut the pieces according to the patterns. I was being careful; nonetheless they were off just a smidge but a little detailing took care of that.
I reworked the bow bolt several times and since the last time was not as good as the next to last time, I figured I'd quit fussing rather than make things worse. I put some goop and glass on the bow to prevent it from pulling apart when I remove the bolt. I'd upload a picture but it's too ugly to look at for now. I don't want to offend your sensitivities. That whole process involved a bit more butchery than I would have liked but the hope is that in the end all will work out. When that kicks I will flip the boat and create the goop welds on the inside, as directed. At that point I am tempted to remove the frames to work on the fillets and taping so I don't have to do it in sections. We'll see. I could do the welds on the outside, but am concerned that the goop will sag into the inside seams. It is more difficult to sand there than fair the outside seams, so I figure that doing the welds on the inside will create less work.
Tony

topwater

Post by topwater »

Buy yourself some good quality duct tape and tape all the inside seams . Glue up all the seams on the outside then pull
the tape. Worked well for me .
Novi 23 finally launched !

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks! I had been considering that but apparently some folks have had issues with the residue from the tape. Did you clean the surface with something after removing it? I'm fond of the idea for a few reasons otherwise.
Tony

topwater

Post by topwater »

Just wipe with acetone , you are going to be sanding the in side and putting down tape any way .
Novi 23 finally launched !