TJ's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TJ's V10

Post by terrulian »

Outside goop currently kicking, and I will do as you suggest when the duct tape is removed.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

OK, I've decided that you folks have are tough enough to stomach these photos of the bow. First one is the frankenbolt from the inside: Image

Then, the bow looking aft (oops--some kind of hole there. Is that bad?):

And finally, the bow from port:

I slapped a little glass on so the boat doesn't explode when I release the bolt and ties. I think I may put in the fillet and tape on the inside as well, after I remove the ties but before I take out the bolt.
Now you see what I mean by hard to stomach. Nevertheless, I'm pretty satisfied with the curve between the bottom and stem at the knuckle. It came out pretty fair. Also, I'm convinced I got about as much deadrise here as I could, meaning we will have a fine entry. I know it's ugly, but I think the ultimate shape is satisfactory and the rest is makeup and powder.
Tony

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Did you sand off the broken epoxy stitches in that pic of frankenbolt? Or is that prior to the split? I ask because I thought that's where the initial epoxy goes before removing the ties.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The "broken epoxy stitches" you are referring to are not really broken. They are the un-seamed edges of the glass tape provided by the Bateau folks, who have gone away from supplying the seamed type because, I assume, the seam creates more work in the fairing process. I have applied the glass in advance of doing the actual tape-up of the seams, which will follow once all the ties have been removed, in the interest of ensuring that no explosions result. Cranking down on that bolt took quite a bit of torque, all of which is hiding in the wood waiting to pounce.

The picture you see doesn't show anything that is the result of any tearing or breakage; everything is still being held together with the bolt and zip ties. As the picture is a fairly extreme close-up, the holes appear much worse than they are and will be attended to once the bolt and ties are removed. All the glass and epoxy you see was applied to a fresh plywood surface.

I'm just guessing that you assumed that this mess was the result of my botched-up job that broke apart, but, unfortunately, it is just a view of my normal level of craftsmanship. Unless it does actually break apart with the removal of the bolt, I have faith it will all work out in the end and be as pretty as Jessica Alba.
Tony

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

I just realized I was looking Doc_dyers picture thinking it was yours. And then you posted your pic from the inside and it was magically clean wood. And now I realize we're waiting to see what happens when frankenbolt gets removed, and hoping we don't get a new version of Docs pic. It looks like you've got that sorted pretty well though.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

It happens on the bigger boats too!

Went off like a bomb when I clipped one too many wire ties! Had to go change my shorts! :oops:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yikes!
Yep, I'll be holding my breath when the bolt comes out. But glass is amazingly strong and I've decided to definitely put a band-aid of cloth on the inside, too, before I release the bolt...hoping that works.
Tony

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Put some spot welds of glue on the inside between the stitches. Add a piece of tape if you're scared, but epoxy glue is as strong as a bolt if you have a little surface area to glue to.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep, will do.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Here's the band-aid I put in, in an excess of caution:

I let it kick for a day and then pulled out the bolt, with very little trepidation. Nothing even creaked, so we're solid.
Actually, belay that. Let's wait for a day before we pop the cork.
Tony