JustInCase FB11 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JustInCase FB11 build

Post by jacquesmm »

Very clean job.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

Thanks it's been fun. Having gotten as far as I did I think it was worth noting that the layout on the plans is not to scale. I was able to cut all of the parts required for the motor and sail options out of the 3 sheets including my larger forward " seat" that is now a foredeck. So when I'm done I'll have one full sheet of 6 mm left over. Hum, What should I use it for?

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

For the hard wood on the boat I am using Sassafras from a local small volume mill. It's harder and denser than poplar but not as dense as Oak with a good strength to weight ratio, is bug and rot resistant, and was relatively knot free all at $3.50 bdft. On top of all that It smells marvelous! He only has lumber in 8' to 8'3" lengths with odd widths. His kiln in 8'6" long so all of his logs are cut to length rough cut, Kiln dried and then skip planed to 15/16. I got 4 X 6-7" wide boards and ripped it down to the specified widths for all the hard wood parts yesterday. Also picked up some longer poplar at a big box store to make the mast from. Finding the 2" foam has been a challenge, The big box stores only carry the stuff to go under siding at 3/4" thick with the aluminized Mylar film on one side. I did get a lead on a commercial roofing supply place that may have the thicker stuff but they are only open 7-3 on weekdays. I'll call Tuesday and if they have it I'll go get it Wednesday and be in late at work.

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

I got all of the stiffeners and cleats in. Also bonded in the transom gussets and the mast support. I'll be cutting her in half soon.
Then foam and dagger board and I'll be ready to fair, prime and paint.

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

Launched her last year but didn't post any pictures so here are a few
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Took a while to get the sail rigged so that it could be trimmed property but keep forgetting to have someone take pictures after I sorted it out.

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

After one season we had two annoying issues: 1) on the little lake running the rudder into the bottom about 8-10 feet short of the shore. 2) when you have more than one person in the boat sailing the tiller is too long.

So this winter I made a new tiller, what I'm calling a Chesapeake Bay rudder and a shorter dagger board. Should get to try them out soon.
image.jpeg

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Don't know why I missed this thread in my searches. My FB11 is for rowing only. But seeing your sailboat makes me reconsider.

That lake looks grand! Sent ya a PM.

edit: Yep, I looked again at the top of Green Mt, compared with your pic. Thought it looked familiar. That lake is Grand! I have a house across the road.
You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23