FS13 - Bootje

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS13 - Bootje

Post by Gramps »

Well after years and years of planning to build something, buying multiple sets of plans and feverishly following many great builds here on the Bateau forums, I started!

I am naming this little boat, Bootje. Bootje is a Dutch word which I understand to mean "little boat". My wife's family is from the Netherlands and from that I chose the name in her honor.

So without further adieu, here we go. Picked up the wood from a local supplier here in Houston on Saturday morning, along with a bunch of other lumber to build storage shelves to get junk off the floor and give me room to work. Started laying out the panels Saturday night, spent about 2 hours to layout the hull bottom and sides.

I cannot say how easy it was to layout and draw the lines. This was my biggest worry in building the boat, but really, it is easy enough a trained monkey could do it.

That was it for Saturday night. Cleaned up and off to bed to rest up for the Renaissance Fair on Sunday.

Back home Sunday afternoon it took about an hour to cut out the panels. A circular saw with a fine cut / trim blade set at 6mm deep was the ticket. Slow and steady lead to this:

So that is where we sit now. I've got to figure out the nesting to cut transom panels to about 17.5" tall for a small outboard, hope I can fit the pieces without having to buy another sheet of wood. Also waiting on the epoxy and glass to arrive from Bateau, should have that on Wednesday. But, I'm out for most of the week on a business trip so the splicing will have to wait.

I'm stoked about this Bootje!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS13 - Bootje

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm glad to see a FS13 get started 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Alright man! Its about time! I'm looking forward to this.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
We have 2 facts in common, I will build an FS13 besides my AD14 and my wife is also from the Netherlands. I have ordered the plywood for the boat today with an expected delivery date on January 15th 2016. You beat me at the start already by 2 months. The big advantage for me is that I can follow your build and see all your pictures which you hopefully carry on posting.
All the best for your build of Bootje.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

No problem understanding Bootje, born in Belgium, I still understand Dutch.

Nesting: yes, it is well done. It's my son who did the drafting and he gave baseline locations on the nesting drawing.

Transom 17": that will be tight. There isn't much plywood left on the nesting drawing. You may get there with a patch work of leftover pieces.
Be generous with the fiberglass and it should work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Questions:

1. On the sole layout. From the forward portion of the sole to the first station (left to right), what is the distance? I come up with approximately 1'-5-1/2" or 442mm.

2. Transom knee height. If I go with a 17" transom in lieu of the 13" designed, do I need to raise the height of the transom knees? Currently the knee tops are on the same plane as the transom. Is this a rule that needs to carry over for higher transoms?

To clarify the 17" transom is to allow the motor to sit directly on the transom and have the cavitation plate level with the hull bottom. Most "15 inch" shaft motors are actually 16.5-17.5" from the bracket to the cavitation plate.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Gramps wrote:Questions:

1. On the sole layout. From the forward portion of the sole to the first station (left to right), what is the distance? I come up with approximately 1'-5-1/2" or 442mm.
The total length = the length of the stringers to the frame A notch. We show the stringers on another drawing.
Yes, it is 441 mm or 17-3/8".

2. Transom knee height. If I go with a 17" transom in lieu of the 13" designed, do I need to raise the height of the transom knees? Currently the knee tops are on the same plane as the transom. Is this a rule that needs to carry over for higher transoms?
I would raise the knees according to the change in transom height. Check your outboard clamping, the wing nuts on some may interfere with the knees.

To clarify the 17" transom is to allow the motor to sit directly on the transom and have the cavitation plate level with the hull bottom. Most "15 inch" shaft motors are actually 16.5-17.5" from the bracket to the cavitation plate.
That is how it should be for planing. I know that those small outboards do not follow the 15" standard but the boat was designed fro trolling motors etc. It will work with a small outboard but there will be a learning curve for the operator.
That's another way to say not to take off full speed the first day or you will capsize here.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Can't wait to see how it turns out!!! I'm seriously considering knocking one of these out before I start another big project. Please keep us updated.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

LOL :lol: Nice to see some Dutch here, when I saw the title of your thread I thought what the heck?? 8O :lol:
Good luck and have fun on your build 8)

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Jacques, GonandKarl, Peter - That's my extent of Dutch, except for stroopwafel! Those things are awesome!

Anyhoo, got more time yesterday to cut out the rest of the panels less the sole & knees. Going to glue & tape this evening and let them cure for a few days while we head north to visit family.

There is enough wood to get two (2) layers of the transom to 17" tall along with two shorter ~14" transoms and appropriate scrap to piece together. Below you can you see how I am making it work. I'll leave the spliced pieces a little large then come back with a template & router to clean them up.

Next step is a micro strong back and start to stitch! So far including setup, cleaning, and fussing , I'd guess I have about 9 work hours in so far. I could cut that down by at least 2 hours next time around, since I measured & re-measured every panel at least twice! :lol: