Page 1 of 1

Joe's V10

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:30 am
by Joe H
Well here we go again, the FS14 went to a good home for a great price, (pay it forward) happy new owner!

On to the V10, I just started putting pencil to ply and cut out the frames so not much picture worthy yet, I decided to just do the row boat version but I will reinforce the transom for a small outboard.
The boat will be primarily for the grandkids to cruise around in the canal behind the house and maybe venture out to the bay with me in the lead in the P19, this will be a good learning boat and something for my little crew to have fun in for many years to come.

Future V10 Pilots!

Joe H

Re: Joe's V10

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
Little crew? You have enough there to start their own basketball team :lol:

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:33 pm
by cottontop
Very fine "future boatmen" you have there Joe. Aren't grandchildren just the best! We now have four grandsons and one granddaughter. Appears she will be the last one and is the only girl on either side of the family. Hope you and all your family have a "Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year"! John

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 am
by Joe H
Hey Larry, yep sure is quite around here, I bought a new snow blower and ice shanty this year so of course it’s been the mildest winter we have had since they have been keeping records,
Thanks John, yeah they are great I don’t know about basketball as Larry say’s but they make a good team, I have one more Granddaughter but she’s stay’s in Texas for the winters.

I cut the pieces for the V10 this past weekend but have a question, I still have the strong back with casters from the FS14 and I’m thinking about using it for the V10 instead of just building it on the floor, has anyone done this and if so how do I determine the angle for the transom?
The guys here at work are fighting over drawing up the bits and pieces on CAD so maybe I’ll just assemble it on CAD and try to find the answer there? (this is why cars cost so much)
By the way Jacques these guys are veteran Eng./CAD jockeys and they love your drawings!
Thanks
Joe H

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:23 am
by jacquesmm
For the V10, the transom angle is set by the side panels. The plans do not contain information for a jig.
The transom angle is 17.7 degrees.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:15 am
by Joe H
Thanks Jacques,
I'll set it up on the jig just because I have it and it's on casters so i can roll it out of the garage while fairing.

Hopefully I will have something picture worthy this weekend!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:32 am
by Cracker Larry
I bought a new snow blower and ice shanty this year so of course it’s been the mildest winter we have had since they have been keeping records,
If I lived anywhere I needed a snow blower and ice shanty, I'd move :help:

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am
by topwater
I did... :wink:

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:24 pm
by Joe H
Hey John, how's that working out for you? I hope to be down in the spring for 10 days or so, whats going on with that boat of yours??? We need pictures!

I sort of got started building the V10, modeled her up in CAD, not much going on at work today except a bunch of Christmas luncheons, Ford is a very diverse work place so there was some interesting food going around, lots of eating but not much work going on so I took advantage of the down time and built the V10 on CAD, didn't get it all done but here she is.

I hope I can get this far in reality in the next week and a half I have off.

Joe H

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:43 pm
by terrulian
Very cool.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:05 am
by topwater
Joe i am all moved in and just finished the renovations on the house. Now i can finish up the boat.
Just hung the jack plate for the engine , baystar steering just arrived , getting ready to order all the things
i need to wire it . Should have it in the water in a month or two . Maybe :wink:

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:48 am
by Aripeka Angler
Joe, looking forward to following your build 8) This looks like the perfect boat for the grandkids.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:00 pm
by Joe H
Hello Richard, I think the Grandkids are going to have a blast with this boat, hope to see you and Sandy in the spring, Janet and I are going to take a drive down and do some visiting, Apalachicola is only a 17 hour drive so depending on timing maybe we can do both.
I was finally able to get out in the garage and get some work done today, decided to use the frankenbolt right from the get Tony, after seeing what you and Doc went through I didn't want to battle it and I could only get Meranti, all in all it went together very easily, my pump for the hardener went bad so for the first time in 4 builds I had to measure the epoxy and hardener, I don't even want to go back out to the garage to see if it's cured yet, but I will right after I post, maybe.

Frankenbolt:

Stitched:
Glued:

Okay, out to the garage...................
Joe H

Edit:
epoxy kicked. :)

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:02 am
by terrulian
Hooray :D
You did a better job on that bolt than I did. I had to work around holes that were the result of earlier ideas with the zip ties but it finally all came together. I wondered while I was doing this, as you probably did, how much easier it would have gone with Okoume, but I couldn't get any around here.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:50 pm
by Joe H
Frankenbolt removed, no boiinnng, gaps and holes filled, now for the glass.

I flipped the boat over and glued the inside too.

Joe H

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm
by pee wee
Looking good, and no boiinnng- that's a good thing. 8)

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:14 pm
by Joe H
Thanks Hank.
I managed to get the outside taped even though my gas line that feeds the heater in the garage sprung a leak, the gas man want's $1200.00 to replace it, 100' with 2 90 degree corners, ain't gonna happen anytime soon, I used an electric heater and my propane shanty heater to take the chill out but it's taking very long for the epoxy to cure, still real tacky from this morning with fast hardener.

Hmmm, something weird, I uploaded windows 10 on my laptop yesterday and now when I do a right mouse click on the picture there is no properties to copy and paste? Anyone have any suggestions?

Joe H

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's why I haven't upgraded to 10. Haven't even learned 7 very well.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 pm
by Joe H
:) :) :doh:

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:15 am
by Fuzz
Cracker Larry wrote:That's why I haven't upgraded to 10. Haven't even learned 7 very well.
Do like gonandkarl and load Linux and watch your problems be a thing of the past. I have been running Linux Mint for some time now and love it. No virus and no lock ups.
Fuzz

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 am
by pee wee
I took a chance on Windows 10 and it will let me paste to desktop, but I have had other buggy things happen. My Linux/Ubuntu experiences were problematic, too.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 am
by Joe H
I can copy and past to the desk top I just can't right mouse click and display the properties in pictures on the forum here since loading Windows 10 and I can't use another operating system because of compatibility with work, back to 8.1 I guess.

Joe H

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 am
by Joe H
I have window's 7 at work and am able to post the pictures.

That’s not air bubbles underneath the glass, I used west system adhesive powder to thicken the resin, it’s the cream color of the glue showing through.

Joe H

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 am
by pee wee
When I right click on a photo using Windows 10 it give me the choice of "copy image location", and that is what I use to get images to where I want them:

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 am
by terrulian
:roll: Your tape job looks better than mine. But I sure remember this stage as one of the most gratifying.
Did you find that you got just a little concavity at the bow after pulling the frankenbolt in? I'm talking about 1/8" and less.That happened to me, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the bow symmetrical using a contour gauge and comparing the sides, then filling with glass fibers and other goop. If I did it again I think I'd be forewarned and be a little more cautious but I was more focused at the time on just the struggle to get the pieces to join together. In the end it came out quite fair I think.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:53 pm
by Joe H
No concavity Tony, all looks good, it is a good stage to be at, I want to move on but it's been cold in my garage and when I try to knock the weave down on the glass the sand paper just gums up, I put an electric heater aimed at the boat so maybe that will speed things up, my brother and his lovely wife live on Alameda Is. and tells me the weather has been pretty rough in your area!

Hank, no go, I don't see it.

on a bright note I did get out ice fishing today, finally! :D

You wouldn't freeze to death up here Larry, we'd put a coat on ya.

Joe H

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
on a bright note I did get out ice fishing today, finally! :D
That's a bright note :?: :help: Damn, it's 50 here and I've got a fire burning.
You wouldn't freeze to death up here Larry, we'd put a coat on ya.
You ain't got enough coats to keep me warm in your garage, much less on that ice. NFW :!: I see what those kids are wearing.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:56 am
by Joe H
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm
by Joe H
Got out in the garage last night, man was it cold, I sanded off the second coat of fairing compound, I’m calling it good enough for now, we’ll see how she looks after the 1st coat of primer, oh, and Tony’s post reminded me to attach my skeg, he had shown his brass strip on his the sked and I was thinking I need to do something like that, then I remembered, hell I need to put on my skeg, no problem sanded down to the glass and put it on.

Here’s some pics:

Thanks.
Joe H

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 pm
by terrulian
Joe, it's very cool you have enough space to step back and look! I had to wait until I was completely done and moved it outside to see what she really looked like. Yours is looking very good.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
by cape man
Tony’s post reminded me to attach my skeg
Too funny!

Lookin' good!

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am
by topwater
Joe put on a extra layer you are going to get hit with the dreaded polar vortex :wink:
I really don't miss that crap .

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:39 am
by Joe H
dreaded polar vortex :wink:

It hit hard this morning, below zero!

I'll be coming down to Tampa and St. Pete beach 1st week in April, just for a visit!

Joe h

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:13 am
by topwater
Joe let me know before you come down maybe if the planets align i'll have the boat in the water
and you could come down and go out for a day on the water. I am only about an hour and half south
of Tampa .
John

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:13 pm
by justin_dwyer
I missed this build Joe 8O

Looking good, the grandkids will love it :D

I am dealing with the opposite end of the spectrum here, it is so hot and humid that even putting the resin in the fridge isn't working. By the time I have mixed the resin and added woodflour and spread it out and filleted, it is kicking off quicker than I can get two layers of tape on a 2 foot section. :doh:

Looking forward to see what you produce here as your P19 is beautiful.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:40 pm
by Joe H
Hey John,
April is right around the corner man, you better get to work!
If all goes according to plan I’ll be in Tampa airport on the 6th of April, visit my Mom in Zephyrhills for a day or two, drive down to St. Pete Beach to visit my older sister, there’s a big party on the beach on the 8th and 9th, on the 10th drive down to Sarasota to visit little sis, I think she might be on Anna Maria island, stay there for a day or two then back to Tampa Airport and head for home, jezzz, I might have to extend my stay, that all sounds way too busy for a vacation.

You gonna be around Richard, I may owe you a beer or two!

Joe H

Sneaking this one in Justin.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:38 pm
by Joe H
I flipped the V10, none of the frames fit, frame C I just cut wrong but the other 2 should have fit back in, oh well time to do some hacking and wacking!
I still can't post pics with windows 10, I'll have to post the pic when I get to work tomorrow.

Couple more weeks and I'm getting out of this crazy Michigan weather for a small time.

KS8.

Joe H

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:38 pm
by Joe H
I flipped the V10, none of the frames fit, frame C I just cut wrong but the other 2 should have fit back in, oh well time to do some hacking and wacking!
I still can't post pics with windows 10, I'll have to post the pic when I get to work tomorrow.

Here we go!

Couple more weeks and I'm getting out of this crazy Michigan weather for a small time.

KS8.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:30 am
by justin_dwyer
Joe H wrote:hacking and wacking!
Ahhh, hacking and wacking, I know them well Joe!! :lol:

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 am
by terrulian
Looking good. I wish I had had the ability to get that angle in my shop to take a picture. She looks sleek. I couldn't really judge the shape of the boat until I was completely finished and could move it outside, so all my pictures make her look a bit chubby.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:20 am
by bateau-webmaster
Joe H wrote: I still can't post pics with windows 10, I'll have to post the pic when I get to work tomorrow.
Which browser are you using? I would suggest Google Chrome, if you are not already using it.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:45 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Joe H wrote:Hey John,
April is right around the corner man, you better get to work!
If all goes according to plan I’ll be in Tampa airport on the 6th of April, visit my Mom in Zephyrhills for a day or two, drive down to St. Pete Beach to visit my older sister, there’s a big party on the beach on the 8th and 9th, on the 10th drive down to Sarasota to visit little sis, I think she might be on Anna Maria island, stay there for a day or two then back to Tampa Airport and head for home, jezzz, I might have to extend my stay, that all sounds way too busy for a vacation.

You gonna be around Richard, I may owe you a beer or two!

Joe H

Sneaking this one in Justin.
I'll be around Joe. Give me a call at 352-424-241nine.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:48 am
by topwater
Joe if you want to stop by give me a call , six three 0 -387- 1053. Don't think i'll have my hull numbers
by then its only been 6 weeks :help: