Smoky Mountain's FS13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Smoky Mountain's FS13

Post by SmokyMountain »

But why does a perfectly straight line on the glass make any difference?
I'm totally asking here, not arguing. Of course, I'm not going to build another boat anyway...am I? :help:
You maximize the strength of you tape (not that it makes much of a difference) and it looks good. 8) You have to remember, I'm a civil engineer that regularly deals with 2 decimal places and it messes with my O/C if its not straight... :help: To each is own.

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

I've made good uses of my Christmas break and finished filleting the inside and outside of the boat, taped the inside keel, taped the outside keel, chines, filled the tape weave on the outside and glassed the outside of the hull. I'm going to buy some southern ash for the rub rails this weekend. I've got to start figuring out how I'm going to power this thing. Does anyone make a jet foot for a small 8-10 hp outboard?? That would be much easier than installing a jet and small water cooled motor internally.

Filleted transom after rounding off the top and cutting the side arcs to match the sheer.

Glassed and filleted inside

Filleted, filled holes and sanded - Ready for tape

Taped Hull

A little enlisted free labor 8)

Taped Hull ready to sand

Question - Should I square the rounded chines or does it matter on a small boat such as this? I was leaning toward sharp edges...

Thanks

Andy

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

The smallest jet foot I know about is on a 25HP Tohatsu. You can always call or email the jet foot people out in Calif. I used to have their address but have lost it over the past 5 yrs.Google it should give you the answer. 13 is looking great. I layed mine out on shop floor , except I made it 6" wider. Made some bulkhead templates. Right now I am dealing with DR bills from cath scan. :)
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

If you remember I had those flatstalkers. I flipped one in the Withlacootchie river and lost a Hundred plus outfit, ruined a brand new military gradec cell phone, hand held GPS and a complete tackle tray(plastic box) full of plugs and a boga grip. My friend I work with dove for it the next weekend. Rod and reel was never found. He did find my tackle box full of plugs, boga grip, gps and brand new browning fishing pliars. $50 alone just for the pliars. So that is the reason I will make mine wider. :D :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

You might want to invest in some of these. http://www.gearkeeper.com/

They sure helped me hold onto some gear in a kayak.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

topwater

Post by topwater »

outboardjets.com looks like 25 HP is the smallest engine they make a jet kit for.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I bet that boat would haul azz with a 25 8O

Nice work, Andy 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

[quote="Cracker Larry"]I bet that boat would haul azz with a 25 8O

Yea, you might hit ludicrous speed w/ a 25hp. Anybody got an idea at what point weight / speed might become an issue?
Last edited by poleposition on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Depends on how fast you go :lol: I've seen some airboats that couldn't even float the engine, they have to start and stop on dry land. Sort of makes it hard to fish.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

The jet foot manufacture makes a foot for the 20hp Suzuki. Lowest hp I've found. The 20 weights in at 97 lbs with a pull start. Their 9.9 is 87 lb. not a lot of difference. What is the weight limit FS13 wrt a motor? I'm going to call the jet foot manufacture to see if they can custom build a foot for a ~ 10 hp motor. Also, there is a 20 hp Suzuki on Craiglist locally for sale. Though like ya'll said 20 is bit of overkill.