Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes it does :!: Ruins saw blades about as fast as cutting concrete too! Only wood I've ever cut that throws sparks.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It's also crazy heavy. So it hates any blade, won't bent, is way to heavy, but...

Those are my front door, south facing steps of ipe. 15years old, no treatment, no maintenance.

So I think it's terrible stuff but wonderful :doh:

Here's the IPE "skegette", glued down. If it falls off I wonder if I'd even know it.

Time to start fairing the bottom.

Dougster

Outlaw
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Outlaw »

Nice job. Have you Finnish it yet?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks, 'law. No not finished. In fact just today I finished most of the fairing and have the bottom and sides ready for primer. I meant to post a pic tomorrow since it's been so long, although it won't look like much. I am slow at fairing, mostly because I only work an hour or two a day if that. Still, it was a happy moment this afternoon when I put the sandpaper, long board, and power sander away. Dunno how fair it its, but she's smooth. We'll see how she looks in primer. It's been a busy time with other things this past month and will continue to be for another week. Then I'll be more steady on it. Bad luck I'll be putting on the graphite bottom at the coldest time of the year. Getting there though.

Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Not much to show, but here's the major fairing finished.

Now here's two coats of Primer.

Now here's an example of the gillion little boo boos and pinholes to fix. :roll:

Says Merry Christmas Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Getting there Dougster!! Merry Christmas to you as well!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I only dream my boo-boos were that small :D
Boat is looking good. Those are sure nice looking hulls.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Holidays took me off the build, but I'm back. I'm struggling with pinholes in the primer, or maybe they were already there. Another forum member, DavidTx turned me on to a Sikkons product (Kombi Putty), which works way better than Quickfair for me. It goes a long way. Put on a drop and spread it hard with a putty knife. It dries in under an hour and sands in seconds. I used on my LB22 build with no ill effects 3 years later. Here's a pic. Ignore the roller, except to say it worked well for the S2 primer and was cheap from Harbor Freight.

I think I'm approaching "good 'nuff" status and getting ready to graphite/epoxy coat the bottom. Gotta mark some kind of waterline for that and thinking maybe just a hair below the scupper in the stern :doh: :doh: Of course we just started a cold spell which isn't the best time for that. the graphite thing.

Dougster

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking good. I'm about to start fairing my canoe and will follow that with epoxy/graphite on the bottom too. WIll probably use a heat gun to try and get the epoxy graphite to lay a little smoother if it is cold when I get to that point. You gotta like Harbor Freight. Just was there resupplying on Monday.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Here she is with 4 coats of a graphite bottom. Some nits, some bleed at the tape line, but I'm OK with it overall.

The sides need a quick abrasive sand and one more coat of primer to cover the bleed through fairing spots you see, then paint. I'll go with EMC since I have some left over from the PY12 build. Enough for the sides at least. Not sure the catalyst is still good so I mixed up 2 TBS and tested it on a plain piece of ply scrap this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'm looking for but if its hard and smooth tomorrow I'll call the catalyst good. I need to wait for a good day to paint, 'cuz I'd like to do three coats all in one day, with no sanding in between.

Then I have to decide about a clear coat for the slotted rubrail, since I can't stand to paint the wood. For now it's between Cetol and EMC clear, with EMC a distant second given the expense of buying a whole quart for so little use. Anyone's ideas are appreciated.

Dougster