Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Another SK14

Post by Dog Fish »

I would weigh everything at a truck stop , go to the ramp and send the wife back with auto and trailer while I go fish. :lol:

Brian ... wait what, It only makes sense.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Bateau Webmaster and Jeff, Dougster is ready for a status upgrade IMHO :wink:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Dunno about expert, but I'm thinkin' I'm a better builder than captain. Launch day was a comedy of struggle. I'll call it a half launch. I got up this morning and noticed a lot of wind, but said, well, push on. Got to the ramp, no one there, but the 10 to 15mph wind was more 15 to 20. Well, push on. Noticed the battery box top blew off in transit. Dang that thing a minute and push on. Back her down get out, pull on life vest. I'd grabbed the wife's by mistake, can't possibly get it on. Pushing on. Waded in calf deep to push boat off trailer; onshore wind making it a pita. Big old rusty dock right close that was semi down wind. No room to manuever once boat was off trailer: it was gonna blow right into the dock. Push on? Well, half way. I pushed her of trailer and tied up to the back of the trailer so she wouldn't blow into dock. Climbed in. Not super stable, but ok. No trouble when sitting. Could paddle upwind with effort. I decided not to proceed any further. Getting up to troll motor to deploy would have to be in a crouch, at least the first time. Then adjust height, back off, untie get going, w/o blowing into dock. Never used troll motor before, which is controlled by remote. I did walk around the grab bar reasonably well, especially on the starboard side that is slightly counterbalanced by the aft battery. She trims slightly down by the bow when I'm standing right behind the grab rail, so glad I put battery in stern.Next week day morning w/o dang wind I'll go use the troll motor. Seems like there is a learning curve, but she floats, and I didn't tip over. You can for sure pull her over if you try to, and most likely could if you got careless. Sitting down seems fine. Call it a half launch :D

Dougster

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

It may not have went perfect, but what does? You launched and it looks nice! Congratulations!! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dougster, congratulations on your half launch!! The boat looks great and so do you on it!! I am not experienced with the new trolling motors, very nice but almost too automated!! You will get it with a little practice!!! Again, congratulations!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, I intended to say that I am in full agreement with AA so I think we will need to review Dougster's Builder Staus!!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Boat in water = splash. Congratulations, it looks good afloat! Your first sea trials have been completed, a smart captain exercises caution when it's prudent to do so.

In the first photo it seems to be floating on her lines, at least parallel to the edge of the graphite. You need to paint a pair of eyes on the bow, so she can see where she's going.
Hank

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

A step forward for sure. No pics of me sitting but the kayak seat on the cooler worked great. She is just slightly bow down, from the bit of water in the sole in the pic with me at the grab rail. If I sit behind it, she may be right on. BTW, someone asked about the weight. Well, I got 131lbs tongue weight with the boat cinched up to the winch: moved her back 15" and got 100bls. Then found this formula:

W - C(W1-W2)/X

W = weight of boat
C = distance between trailer tongue and center of axle (13' 1")
W1 - First weight (131#s)
W2 - Second weight (100#s)
X - Distance boat moved (15")

Gives me 324 lbs. Subtract 90 lbs for troll motor and battery, you get 234 lbs. Minus 15 ' battery wire, circuit breaker, Troll motor remote, etc.,
and call it 230 lb 8O 8O If that's right she's almost double the plans weight. Who knows, she does float well above the scupper with 180 lbs of me and 90 of troll motor/battery though.

Espert ( :roll:) Dougster

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hey,

Congrats for the launch! She looks really good in the water!

Carlos

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No pics 'cuz I took her out alone. Next time I'll try and post some shots of her in action. Today was an easy 10mph wind and I went to another launch ramp up the river from Canyon Lake, Tx. Small, still river; no chop or waves. I am happy to report that she is quite stable in those conditions at least. I can move forward to raise or lower the trolling motor with ease. And that troll motor :D It's a minnkota riptide terrova with anchor lock which amazed me. Dead easy to use with the remote. In anchor lock mode, when it needs to adjust for wind gusts, etc., it ramps power up, so no jolts. What a fishing tool. Love it. She also paddles reasonably well against a 10 mph wind, though you wouldn't want to go too far that way.

Very pleased Dougster :D :D