Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Another SK14

Post by Eric1 »

Looking Good!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Dougster,

Did you stall out or just get busy? Looking to see what you can do with this boat.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Might be too late now, but have you considered a slotted inner gunwhale trim? I did one last year and have been super pleased with it- it's a handy place to tie down darn near anything, and makes the boat super easy to drain, doesn't catch water like a solid one when the boat is tipped over. Plus it looks really cool.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hey guys, no stalling and not busy. Been on vacation :D Brother-in-law has new beautiful house on even more beautiful Vancouver Island so I've been dodging the Texas august heat. No fishing but did a great boat trip and saw whales, island deer, bear, sea lions, and many birds, including one lone Puffin. I'm ready to jump back on the build now but am back to a little money work each week as I start my semi-retirement :wink:

Fred, thanks a lot for bringing the slotted inner gunwhale up. It's not too late and I had thought about it earlier but gave it up. You got any pics? I like the pros you mention of having it.

Dougster

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I made these from some nice 1 1/4" thick clear pine, sliced it about 5/16 or 3/8 thick. The blocks are about the same thickness. It seemed easier to glue it all up first and then install rather than trying to line up all that stuff at once, and it worked pretty well. rounded over the corners before installing, then ran the roundover bit around the openings on top to radius the corner that was part of the boat hull.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Dougster wrote: No fishing but did a great boat trip and saw whales, island deer, bear, sea lions, and many birds, including one lone Puffin.
Dougster
Dougster seems like you enjoyed seeing the Puffin. They are all over the place out of Seward, Alaska. Even though I get to see lots of them I still stop and watch them very often. I think they could be my favorite bird. :P

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks a lot Fred, now I remember those pics. I like the look and think I'll give it a try. I'm trying to decide the sequence. Glass first then rails or rails first then glass. I guess it's a bit more trouble to glass with the rail in, getting the glass to fit up against the rails nicely, but it seems more natural to put the rails in now to finalize and secure the shape/lines. That's a good tip about putting the spaces on the rail first, then gluing it in.

Fuzz, that Puffin was said to be further south and earlier than usual and the first the boat has seen in two years. My wife is an avid birder and I tag along, like she tags along on fishing trips. We've both learned a bit about the other's hobby that way. I've only seen the Puffins three other times and they are just cool looking little guys. I love the water up in the Northwest and your area I'm sure, but it intimidates me with the cold and big tides. It's another world from the Texas gulf for sure.

Dougster

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I did outer rails to get the shape, then inner cloth and the inner rails over. glassing light cloth around all those obstructions looks like no fun at all.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice Fred!! Really nice wood work!! Jeff

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Thanks Jeff. It ain't perfect but I'm pretty proud of it.