Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 pm Nobody's perfect.
Mrs boss lady is pretty damn close.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Happy for you. When Tipsy gets finished we'll need to create a "crazy adventure" page.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Jaysen! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Glossie!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

This is what you need. And you could keep it up here for a few years for BBC shared use :D
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/- ... gLkKvD_BwE

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

31359 lbs displacement in a 37-footer?
I'll pass.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

What does that tell you? Too heavy/light :doh:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

A Crealock 37, which no one would confuse with an ultra-light, displaces just a little over 1/2 that. A Valiant 40 weighs 23520. Those are two classic bluewater boats. On the other hand, a Hans Christian 39, which is also a pilothouse motor-sailer, so more this same style, weighs quite a bit but still about 3,000 pounds less and is two feet longer. I guess you'd have to check with previous owners to get their opinion, but by the looks of it this is a slow motorboat that has sails for looks. OK, I'm being a bit harsh. But "motorsailers" is a class of boats I don't favor--if you like sailing. A dollar to a doughnut it doesn't go to weather for beans and needs the motor for that kind of thing. The classic problem is clawing off a lee shore, which can happen in heavy or light air, when your engine dies. Of course, you're no worse off than a power boat in the same situation. But a proper sailboat can escape. A fellow circumnavigator friend had one and on a long windward passage they were screwed if they ran out of fuel. On the other hand, when there is no wind they've got a lot more range than the typical sailboat, which is why they're good for the Med.
People who like comfort and aren't partial to sailing heeled over sometimes favor them. To be fair, they are perfect for something like the ICW where there's going to be a lot of motoring; also the Med. On the upside I'm sure it's roomy and, I admit, is very cute, and very boaty inside.

Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Remember I live at latitude 60. It is a VERY rare day that has wind and is not just plain old cold. About half the boats in our local harbours are traditional sail boats. Having one must let you feel like a real sailor and impress the girls at your favourite watering hole. I say this because I never see them out and being used. I think a motor sailor would get used 10x more but it might not do as well with the ladies.
I am surprised at the weight of the Fisher. If it had huge fuel tanks it would be understandable but what I see is 100 gallons. With that small of tanks it had better be able to sail pretty good.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Fuzz, I did NOT remember that, my bad, sorry. In those conditions a pilot house boat certainly makes sense and in fact may very well be delightfully cozy and allow you to get to sea on a lot of days you would otherwise stay home.
Yes, I didn't mention the fuel tank but I saw it. If you need to spend a lot of time motoring and you have a large engine (probably about twice the power of a similar-sized sailboat), 100 gallons is definitely on the small side. This concern is amplified because of the fact that, like I said, the boat probably doesn't sail to weather so you need to have some range under power. A ketch rig is also less weatherly than a sloop, even absent the additional weight.
If I were looking at that boat I would definitely try to locate some owners and see what their experience is. What I'm doing is basing an opinion entirely on numbers and even if I knew my way around naval architecture like Jacques, which I assuredly do not, this wouldn't be anything like an on-the-water test.
Tony