Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

There was a little damage to the end wrappers, but they wood was al clean. I haven't unboxed it yet (silly job getting in the way), but I'm certain it will be good.

The truck on the other hand... Showed up with a flat. Then the lift was stick for a minute. Then the local fire department wanted to get by. And by the time we were done all 4 of the locals were looking at us wondering how we managed to clog up the only road toward the mainland.

Good thing they all, including the firemen, want to see how Lil Bit comes along. Nice thing about living in a small community.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Jaysen, tough delivery!! And yes, glad you live in a pleasant community!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff/Jacques,

How much am I allowed to show of the cut sheets in the forum?
Also, the CNC notes refer to "included drawings" for the modified CNC nesting. I had no sheet of drawings. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out but a PDF of that drawing would make me smile :)
Next, I didn't see cut butt block even though they are mentioned in the CNC sheet. I did notice that all joints are puzzle which I thought eliminated the need for butt blocks. The only thing I see that looks like butt block look more like the dagger box as the notes say that butts are 6" in the CNC to improve hull shape.
Lastly... did you mean to include an uncut 1/4" sheet? Not complaining as I think it would be rub rails, mast step, etc. Just making sure I don't owe you for that.

That said, when I unboxed and moved the uncut sheet, I looked at the wife and said, "That right there... that was worth the cash. If I can't build this boat all straight and pretty, just sell my tools and ship me of to a home now." To which she replied, "That's my plan anyway." I don't think I won in that exchange.

I did check all sides. No shipping damage.

I won't get ANY progress till Monday. We leave for Ft Benning tomorrow afternoon to watch the male child get his airborne wings. After that I expect to start glueing, stitching, coating and sanding until I have a boat that floats.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, Let me start by saying that I guaduated Jump School in 1981 at the very school your son is attending!! As I look back, I love the memories!!! Not sure I loved the actual three weeks of training but really glad I served!! Ok, on to your V12, the extra sheet is a packing sheet. We use them to protect the good marine plywood you purchased for the build!! I am going to leave the other questions for Jacques!! Please tell your son congrats from an old paratrooper (I still have my original jump wings)!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's take it one item at a time.
I don't understand all the questions but it looks like you did not see the kit building notes that were in the package.
Reply and we will send you a copy. It is very simple: the V12 is assembled exactly as described in the standard V12 building notes except for the butt blocks. The hull panels are assembled with puzzle joints. No need for butt blocks.
Therefore, we do not cut butt blocks.
Some builders like to add the butt blocks on that bot because they are just under the mid frame and act as reinforcements. If that is what you want, see the building notes.

I don't know where you read included drawings but I will check. The nesting is exactly the same than on the plans.
BTW, do you have the plans?
The plans are sold separately.

Congratulations on the Fort Benning graduation, that is something to be proud of.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Jeff and Jacques. We are very proud of him. He has planned to be a "career enlisted man" since he was 8. He sees it as a way to respect the sacrifices of others and as a way to protect the country. It's odd to see him go from "lump on the couch" to "full grown man" but ... When we visited him for basic graduation in Jackson we saw no more lump. He was even more grown by the time we visited him in AZ mid AIT. Now he's done with training and is off to follow the path he's laid out. We are very excited for his future. Clearly we are proud of him as well.

Jacques, I've been drooling over the plans for quite some time. It was the complex curves of the mid seat that got me to the point of "CNC is the right move for me". I want it to be "right". Can't really screw it up now can I?!

The instructions with the kit (one page) are where I saw the reference to "included drawing". First bullet point.

I will omit the but blocks since we have puzzle joints. Bullet three (kit notes) refers to them bing 6" over the 8" in the plans.

Is it ok for me to post pictures of the CNC kit as shipped? It's a thing to be admired. Not sure it will be when I'm done with it :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, you have every right to be proud, we all should be proud when a young man decides to truly "SERVE" his country!! Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Congrats to your son Jaysen, and to you and his Mom too 8) Tell him thank you, from me !
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

As predicted ZERO boat work done this weekend. On the other hand...

Post acquisition of airborne wings, we watched the Charlie Company get dismissed.

That was followed by a happy mom and proud dad moment.

A bit of travel to visit folks this weekend and I suckered him into "wood holding" duty.

Bottom, sides and transom freed. One boss lady did not stop for the forgotten mixing bowls and stir sticks. Which is fine I wasn't planing on real glue work till tomorrow anyway. Since I only have 5 weights (buckets to fill with sand) I can't do much more than glue those together tomorrow when the forgotten supplies arrive.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, congratulations on your son's graduation from Airborme (Jump) School!!! Nice photos of the family with the. 300 foot towers in the background!!! Ok, let's get started on that V12!! Jeff