mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

mat australia sk14

Post by mataus »

Well here goes,

After stalking the forum here for a bit over a year, i have decided to start my first build.
I have no previous experience or expertise to get me through so i am hoping this forum will help with the "dumb"
questions.

I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. If you have a quick peek at google earth you
will see there is an extended area of inland waterways and canals to explore plus a few dams (lake/impoundments/reserves) locally

I have been looking at different builds and plans and have come up with my list of requirements for my first boat.

1- easy , i have never done anything like this before and i would like to go onto bigger and better things so i didn't want this build to put me off.
2- quick, relatively for the same reasons above i would like to finish it in under 6 months for the same reasons.
3- cheap, relatively as i didn't want to purchase $1000s in timber and resin only to find i couldn't do it or didn't enjoy it.
4 - although this is a trial to see if i enjoy the build process, i didn't want a throw away product at the end that i wounldn't use or be proud of.
5- to be able to stand- there are a lot of good canoe plans, but i was nervous about their stability when standing as i like to fly/lure fish
6- small, for the above reasons of first boat, but i also wanted to power it with an outboard small enough to take off as some of our local dams are electric power only
7- i don't mind if it is trailered or car topped (i have a ute/pickup with roof racks)

So when the sk14 came out it pretty much ticked all the boxes! (i love the look of the fs14 ls and fs18 but one step at a time)
My plan was to keep it simple and stick to the plans. a central grab rail with a tiller extension. if i power it with a outboard under
6hp then the boat doesn't require registration in this state and i don't need to get Australian builders plates.

So wish me luck

ps i will have a play to see if i can get some photos going.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by Jeff »

mataus, great choice in the SK14!! Great skiff and I think you will really enjoy the SK14!! Jeff

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

thanks jeff!

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

20161101_212747.jpg

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

ok first question.

I have a boat building store about an hour away. I went to buy all the supplies in one go,
however, as a storm started to roll in I elected to not get the timber, as getting it wet was a risk.
This was a couple of weeks ago. Looking at the plans i began to get itchy and wanted to start
but didn't have the time to get back to the boat shop.
I found this local add (warehouse around the corner) with cheap marine ply which meant i could start the build each night
after work. the add read:

"Superior Marine Plywood for all indoor or outdoor applications. Best for Roofing, flooring, boatbuilding, terraces, garden sheds etc. High quality water proof Marine Plywood manufactured to BS 1088. Made with Hardwood Eucalyptus Core and outer Okume African Hardwood veneer in AA Grade both sides, sanded and polished. 3 times hotpressed.Better then any other "normal" plywood. Does not warp, does not shrink and looks beautiful. Made with water proof phenolic glue it is boil and water proof and does not deleminate. We pride ourselves of best quality at unbeatable prices near 50% below normal price"

Now the more I read about ply the more confused i become. I brought 6 sheets of 6 mm as I really wanted to start and it was going to be weeks until i could get back to the boatshop/timber yard. The ply looks great and i can't see many voids (when looking at the cut edges). Doing more reading on the net i have found that to be "Marine" it should be one species of timber :doh:
This had me a little worried. i am almost finished cutting the panels so i hope this isn't an issue? I will try to post some photos (trying to figure out how to convert a jpeg to img on a mac/ do i need permission as well?)

Cheers for your help guys

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mataus, is the marine plywood you purchased Okoume or Meranti and is it Lloyds Certified? I am sure you can get great Marine Plywood in Australia but there is a lot of Chinese stuff out there so be careful!!!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

The BS1088 is a good start, if the plywood has a stamp or label post a picture.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Im thinking this is the Chinese import stuff.
I have only one sheet intact and i can't find stamps or stickers.

the add says made TO standard but that doesn't mean its has been checked and approved.
"Hardwood Eucalyptus Core and outer Okume African Hardwood veneer in AA Grade both sides"

What i was wondering is if it is cheap Chinese import is this a problem on a small boat?
is there a test i can do to test strength etc? I was going to do the heavy duty taped/reinforced version will this help?

I am still working on the photo uploads (just downloaded photo bucket)

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If you click on the 'Attachments" tab below where you post, you can just attach your images here without worrying about figuring out how to go through a 3rd party host.