mat australia sk14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: mat australia sk14

Post by mataus »

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

stability test

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Man that went from paint to in the water quickly! Boat looks great and lots of fun :D

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

I finished her a few weeks ago. I had a trip planned so there was a big push over a month or so to finish, so i could take her. As it turned out the weather was not appropriate so I went in a mate's larger boat.
I will try to get some videos on the net.

In case anyone was wondering. with the 8hp my build goes 35km/hr (19knots/22mph) wot. I will check the prop I assume standard?? and no tacho.

I still need to install the front h- rails. I am also thinking of beach wheels.

Also, for the fishing i do an electric trolling motor would be very handy. However weights are not listed. I am worried about deploying it I put it on the nose and whether it goes bow or aft I am worried about the weight of the motor and the battery.

Any thoughts??

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

My SK14 handles a trolling motor plus the battery on the bow fine. It did so before I put a 5 horse tohatsu on and after as well. It also barely planed with the 5 horses, two guys, battery and troll motor on nose. Pic of the bow is shown below in the link to my thread. Bottom of page 17

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=160

Dougster

mataus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mataus »

Thanks Dougster,

I followed your thread.
I decided to gamble and mount the electric (trolling motor) off axis.
This allowed the hatches to still be used on water or trailer with the electric stowed. I played with weights and thought long and hard.
I also bought 2 lithium batteries one 17.5amp for the sounder and the other 50amp for the electric. I got a great deal on the motor so it helped with the cost of the batteries.
We had a weeks holiday at Noosa (this was as the cover 19 was kicking off locally).It was not much off a holiday as a result and the winds were also blowing hard. I did get Elbow Grease out a few times to test run. I was stoked with the result the extra weight off axis doesn't have that much effect. Running, you can shift slightly right with your weight which is more comfortable as the tiller is off centre to the left. Having 13kg hanging outside the boat on the port side means you do have to be careful going around the grab rail on the left but other than that it is great. Top end speed has dropped from 35km/h (18knots) to 27 km/h (14.5knots) which is fine. I never wanted a speed boat I just wanted her to be able to get up and plane fully loaded, which she does nicely. If you turn tightly I do get ventilation which is worse on a turn to port and my body position can also affect this. It does ship water pretty easy and the worse is the short sharp wake of the large boats like Riviera and trawlers. It drains quickly. My hatch has faired more waterproof than the commercial plastic one. Still if I did it again I would make the gutters larger.

A pleasant surprise was seeing Skinny-dip out on the river.
In different times I would love to look over her and chat to Glossyblack.