Mike's FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mike's FS14 LS

Post by Fuzz »

seaslug wrote: Although you may be officially retired from boat building, we're all fortunate to have your continued support and advice. Mike
Let me be the first to second that :!: It might not always be politically correct but then again F*** the PC crowd :lol: Call em like you see em and let the chips fall where they may :wink:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I just saw Brads PH18 today for the first time, and holy crap what a beauty. Wish I didn't have to work for a living, because I would just build boats for fun. Although you may be officially retired from boat building, we're all fortunate to have your continued support and advice. Mike
Thank you Mike. Some of your work is stunning!

One correction, that isn't Bradley's PH18. It was built and owned by Andrew Sonner, AKA Smokey Mountain. Brad is his sidekick and he goes by Doc Dyer :wink: Stickystuff always gets them confused, which leads others to confusion :lol:

I've been on that PH18 and it's just as nice in person as in pictures. Andy did a superb job on it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Smokey Mountain, beautiful work!!! Happy holidays, Jeff

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Well, Andrew did an amazing job all around, a real beauty. Did he sell the boat to Doc? Now I'm confused.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No, he didn't sell the boat to Doc, it's still Andy's :lol:
Let me be the first to second that :!: It might not always be politically correct but then again F*** the PC crowd :lol: Call em like you see em and let the chips fall where they may :wink:
Thanks Fuzz. PC ain't my strong point :lol: I call them like I see em. Life's too short to beat around the bush. They might not like what I say, but they'll never have to wonder what I'm really thinkin' :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Now I am totally confused. Whats on first and who's on second? I resemble all the remarks. :lol: Hope one and all have a Very Merry Christmas. My great son is taking the wife and I on a 5 day cruise for X Mas. Looking for the get away. Cracker, you be mean to me. Wouldn't have a better friend. Hope all is well for one and all. :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

Mike, did you use a topsides paint in the lockers or something else?

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I used Awlgrip for the entire boat. It may seem like overkill, but if you plan on keeping the boat for a very long time you'll never have to re paint, especially below decks. The paint is hard as a rock and doesn't grow mold, and is easy to clean. I used Petit easy poxy enamel in the bilge of my ketch many years ago and it was a mistake.

cansler
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cansler »

MIke,

I just recently purchased these plans and I can't wait to get into it. If I build a boat that looks half as good as this, I will be screaming from the rooftops that I am the king of the world!. That boat is amazing and sickeningly beautiful. Really love the rod holder idea as I was trying to work out how I could use that same space for the same idea.

Alternatively, if you didn't sell this beauty yet, I am totally in to purchase. I know it's a long shot, but I had to ask. Since I just joined, I'm still trying to get through all the related threads to this build.

cansler.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Thanks a lot for the compliments. I enjoyed the build process so much with the FS18 that I started this one soon after finishing. Jeff at BBC bought it from me when it was finished and it stays at their shop in Ft. Pierce. They bring it to a few boat shows each year as little sample of what's possible with a little plywood, epoxy, and lots of sandpaper. I'm not on the forum much lately due to a very long and brutal house restoration that's been keeping me busy 7 days a week for months now, with some relief hopefully in a few months. If I can help out in any way I will, so ask as many questions as needed. This is a great forum with a very supportive team of builders. Good luck, and have fun. Mike