FS13 'Lil Stream

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS13 'Lil Stream

Post by BB Sig »

Not too much memorable bits lately. I've got my kids visiting for a month so my priorities have changed lately... :D

Been working on cleats slowly. I feel the need to buy or make more clamps... I think AA and Eric have me beat on clamps! :lol:

I want to install a thru the hull transducer so I don't have to do the typical kayak pvc pipe mount. Worked on that for a little bit. I think I am going to make a few more layers prior to calling it done. This is starboard side between the transom and frame D. I will be placing an access port and conduit for the transducer wire to run to the bow. I used plexiglass taped to the bottom of the hole and then a plastic cup with diving weights in it to get the glass to stay down. You can see the lettering imprint the bottom of the cup made on the epoxy. I think it worked great for compressing the fiberglass while the epoxy cured.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

BB, looks good!! Just sent you a response on the Bow Eye, very nice!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks Jeff. I wanted to talk to Jeff before posting this piece.

I wanted something a little different than a normal bow eye and found it on Bay of Maine Boats They designed and made it for the custom boats they build but also sell these bow eyes. Real friendly people and shipping is faster that Jimmy Johns! That's right faster than freaky fast! :lol: I haven't mounted it yet but I will probably do it upside down to flow with the curve in the bow.

***I want to make it clear that these are really small. They state that they are for boats under 20' but I think I would limit it to 16' due to the single attachment point. This is my OPINION only. ***

Jeff is going to attempt to make contact with them in an attempt to start carrying them in the store.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Nice looking work :) You are going to be floating waaayyy before winter.
What type of metal is your bow eye made from?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I picked the stainless steel option.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Barry, Richard has a bunch of clamps. I have a bunch of sandpaper! :lol:
The boat is really looking great!!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Got a little work in between kid issues... :roll: If they could learn to get along, the kayak would be done!

I got the bow deck cut out and a backing glued on. The backing really stiffens the bow deck! The only reason I used a backing is so I can put an inspection port and use it for a small 7ah battery for a depth finder and navigation lights. I plan on fishing at night and want them built in.

Bow deck in place..

My main fly rod would fit without going into the bow compartment but I would have to step into the aft 1/3 of the boat. I prefer to avoid that in this kayak! I put a rod tube into the bow compartment for this reason. This will allow me to grab the rod while at the grab bar. I used light weight water pipe to keep it as light as possible. This will make up for my messy work habits! :oops:

And then there was the foam. :help: That is a weird process. My boys enjoyed watching it expand! :lol: My youngest thought it was weird and wouldn't take his eyes off of it until the last batch had risen. Then the rain started 10 minutes later and I had to rush the boat back to its now clean table.

I am leaning towards getting a Dragonfly 5 for the yak. The length of the transducer dictated a change be made. The small circle for the old style transducers would not work. I cut it out and expanded the hole. 12oz biax with 2 layers of some heavy mat made quick work of the 4.5 x 9" hole!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Barry, Take a look at wheelchair batteries. They are small and deep cycle.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I have a used wheel chair battery in my FS18 given to me by a buddy that sells them, and I haven't had to charge a single time in a year and a half. I guess the 20 hp Merc charges it plenty even with the low hours running.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks for the suggestion but a little large to fit through a 6" hole and they are HEAVY! :( This has to be able to be removed for days when I just want a quiet paddle in a light yak. The trolling motor and the battery are for serious fishing days! :D

I plan on installing an anchor trolley. I am guessing that a 6mm backing plate should do?

I'm also trying to figure out where to mount a fish finder. My first thought was at the bow but then I have to walk up there and it may be unsteady. The next thought is to the right of the seat so i can see it from standing and seated. Would you run a conduit from the center or from the bow under the inside gunnels or just route a little bit from the gunnels to do just that?