FS13 'Lil Stream

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS13 'Lil Stream

Post by BB Sig »

Not going to hit me for a while. Wait, see and don't panic is my plan. We are pretty far inland. I do plan to bug out if it is making a direct path towards us though. :roll:

I am waiting to make an order with Jeff after the storm. Saving my cash for travel emergencies if needed. :doh:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

How are you doing Barry? I haven't seen you post in a while.
I'm hoping you got through the storm ok. :)

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks for asking. I've been getting the jitters from boat building withdrawal.

I got through just fine. I took some large trees down the day before the storm hit and that has been my priority. 60' oaks make a huge mess when they come down. I took down 7 trees total and some where larger than 2' across. Makes me glad I have a large saw now. Hoping to start burning this weekend if the rain holds off. The logs in the picture are 4 - 5' long and heavy but out of the way. That's from two trees.
Attachments
20170918_184610.jpg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I've really got to get back to work! Using this to start thinking/budgeting for paint! I liked the color of Whaler Blue from EMC. It looks good on the GT27 so I might use it on my GT23 and Lil Stream! :D
wkisting wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:50 am This is Whaler Blue. Kind of growing on me.

About coverage... I'm covering about 220-240 sq ft of area...

Using EMC surfacing primer, first coat took 48 oz. total. Each subsequent coat of primer took around that too.

For Quantum paint, I started with 48 oz. And had almost 20 oz. left after first coat! Second coat I mixed up 32 oz. and still had about 10 oz. left. Third coat I mixed up 27 oz. and that was about perfect with about 3 oz. to spare. In retrospect, I think the paint can be stretched thinner than you realize at first. First coat should've been 32 oz. And all subsequent coats 27 oz. at this surface area.

Conditions may matter. I had a constant 75-80 degrees for the entire day (using heated shelter). About 75% relative humidity so I set up a dehumidifier that brought it down to 60% while curing through the night. Outside temps were high 40s at night so the roof of my shelter got very wet with condensation but never did drip on the finish thanks to the high pitch of the shelter roof. All things to consider...

Also, I did not use accelerator or reducer. Just the base and the activator, for both primer and paint each. Primer was 1:1 mix, paint was 2:1 per instructions.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Last bit of foam. Moving on next weekend to smoothing the foam and then applying some epoxy to seal the cuts. I'll take care of the "oil can" effect if I can.... :?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I'm going to let the foam stabilize until later in the week and then start smoothing and coat with epoxy. There is still the nagging issue of the oil canning of the sides. It is bad enough that I don't think I can fix without removing the foam and starting over. Not doing that now. :lol: I'm ready to start using it!

My plan is to trim the sides down to ~1.5" from the sole. Modified paddle board. I present the two options!

Slant cuts are easier and quicker. I get on the water quicker! :D

Rounded is sexier and more labor intensive. I look good on the water! :lol: It also looks more like it was meant to be shaped like this.

Looking for opinions on what should be done to either fix the issue (not sure it can be done) or take the easy route with one of the two options!

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Try clamping your rub rails on and see if it will pull back into shape. Maybe Dimensional lumber rails as they
would be stiffer.
Novi 23 finally launched !

cape man

Post by cape man »

I agree. Before you cut it try rub rails.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I've already got the material to do that with. I'll try it tonight but the gaps are pretty large where the earlier foam shrank.

I'll post some pictures but I'm really leaning towards cutting the sides. Any reasons why I shouldn't? I almost wish that I had done that from the get go. Almost like a Dragonfly SUP but with a motor.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Your suggestions rocked. I'm going to leave the starboard side in the rack for a few days to see if it does anything by itself. I used two screws to secure the 2x4 loosely and then used clamps to "straighten" out the side. I only have enough clamps for one side.

Starboad side = after :)

Port side = before :?

If you look close, you'll see my fly rod I had to test out in the forward rod tube.