707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 707dreamer's HC16 (First build)

Post by Fuzz »

When you build your next boat, and there be a next boat :lol: , give the folks here a call and get them to give you a shipping quote. I just split an order with another builder here in Alaska and they did really well on our shipping costs :!: The cost savings on plywood and nidacore more than covered the shipping :D

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Eric1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 am Your cuts look nice! Now make that splice!!! :D
Thanks Eric! I just placed an order with BBC for some laminating rollers to really lay that glass down on the splices (I should have had these and other small items on hand already :roll:)

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:51 pm When you build your next boat, and there be a next boat :lol: , give the folks here a call and get them to give you a shipping quote. I just split an order with another builder here in Alaska and they did really well on our shipping costs :!: The cost savings on plywood and nidacore more than covered the shipping :D
Thanks for the info! I'd really like a GF16 in my life about now :lol: I'll tell you what!

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Ok! so we were back at it after a few distractions...

Started splicing the panels last week!

Not a ton of space but it'll do

The first splice didn't turn out so bad! We learned a lot from it

That laminating roller worked well to evenly distribute the epoxy and lay the glass down tightImage

Next morning it was ready to flip over and do the other side

and the ugly... I was wondering why we had to keep adding epoxy to the joint (looked like it was starving after a few minutes) It was running out the bottom! This was only 12 hours cure time so we quickly wetted and spliced this side in hopes of having a primary or chemical bond to make up for anything weird that might have happened here. (The big chip you see is from a popsicle stick getting stuck to the filler in the ply when I pried it off)

I received my order from BBC yesterday. This care package should take us all the way up until prime and painting (which I have no idea what i'm doing yet). Its starting to look like a boat building shop in here!! 8) (a small one)

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Did the last two splices tonight, This time I used painters tape to help keep the epoxy/wood flour mix and epoxy in the seams while it cured. I'm pretty happy with the results although it could still be better.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well, you are off to a good start!!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Well it's been awhile since I posted progress, Sometimes life gets in the way of boat building.

For the purposes of keeping this build thread chronological i'll post pictures of our progress thus far in order to potentially help out any future builders on this fourm (assuming my I would be of any help to begin with lol).

The first stitches. and in hindsight far to many...

The moment it began to look like a boat, the picture rotation function in the gallery wasnt working :doh: *note this is not the final shape of the hull as it is only loosely stitched with no spreaders to hold it in its final shape.

In this photo you can see that we used small sections of 1/4" dowels to provide more support in effectively centering the lower chine and bottom panels to one another. In hindsight I would use even larger diameter dowel pieces (maybe 1/2") to provide even more stability for the areas with higher curvature. This produced nice even panel lines. *note that this is not the final shape of the bottom, it's loosely stitched and needs spreaders to hold it in the correct shape.

Getting the canoe to this step was very rewarding as it did not take much time and the neighbors that walked by my garage were impressed that I had a boat in what appeared to be an hour :lol:
Last edited by 707dreamer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Woaa, that horizontal picture is a bit psychedelic.
Isn't the HC16 a double chine boat? You mention the "lower chine" but I only see one in the photos.
Yes, we love photos, so send them along. If you have a PC, you can rotate the pictures in Windows picture viewer, which is the default viewer, and they will be saved in the corrected orientation. Then upload. :D
Tony

707dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 707dreamer »

Narfi- Thank you!

Terrulian- I did the lower chine first, I'm posting the pics to my gallery here on the forum strait from my phone to avoid transferring them from my phone to PC. The rotation function here on the gallery used to work, maybe ill get a hold of Jaime and let him know its no worky.