HC12 England

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC12 England

Post by glossieblack »

She's looking good BYT! 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

She looks great!

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Cheers chaps

I am not overly happy with how it looks but I will lower my expectations, get it painted and hopefully get some use out of it while we have a bit of summer left here in jolly old England.

Still can't decide what colour(s) to paint it though so am open to suggestions. Subtle or traditional, or wild and wacky, I don't mind.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

SmartSelectImage_2017-08-06-12-11-34.png
I think this is what I will probably do (without the graphics..... fun now but maybe not as Landon grows older :p )
Last edited by narfi on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Take a couple days and make it look the way you want. Paint will make all those little things jump out and bite you.

I still suggest light colors.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Narfi,
You MUST at least do the spider logos :-)

Jaysen,
I know you're probably right but I'm going to have to go somewhere between what I want and what I can live with.
Colours; I am undecided between something light like a powder-blue or maybe pastel green on the outside and a light grey in the inside or go the other way with a dark green / battleship-grey scheme.

My only slight concern with going dark is that the boat will be car topped so it might get bloody hot in the middle of summer (that can be as many as two straight days in England)

Keep the ideas/opinions coming boys

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

I've got the upper panels sanded enough to be happy and have done the first lamination of rub-rail.
IMG_7438.JPG
IMG_7435.JPG

Still have the bottom to sand and the chine panels to fair.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

That's a lot of fancy clamps!
I found that when doing my rub rails I hadn't clamped the bottoms of them as well as the top. I think it's natural to over do what you see....... nothing I couldn't overcome with thinish thickened epoxy but something I'll watch out for next time.

Second outlandish paint scheme I thought of.... I am American my wife is Canadian. So I thought one side US flag and Canadian flag on the other side with the interior the Alaskan flag. He is 1/2 American, 1/2 Canadian and 100% Alaskan.

For you though the British flag is a cool look maybe?

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

narfi wrote: That's a lot of fancy clamps!
They're from your side of the pond. Bought them about 10-years ago when I first planned to build a boat http://www.clipclamps.com They work really well and are a one handed operation

narfi wrote: I found that when doing my rub rails I hadn't clamped the bottoms of them as well as the top. I think it's natural to over do what you see....... nothing I couldn't overcome with thinish thickened epoxy but something I'll watch out for next time.
I found if I got a few claps on, then squeezed the lamination into place, the clamps laid over at an angle, seemed to give a nice even clamping pressure top to bottom.

narfi wrote: Second outlandish paint scheme I thought of.... I am American my wife is Canadian. So I thought one side US flag and Canadian flag on the other side with the interior the Alaskan flag. He is 1/2 American, 1/2 Canadian and 100% Alaskan.

For you though the British flag is a cool look maybe?
Flags are cool but you'd be bloody busy with the masking tape :D

Unfortunately, with the current political climate over here openly displaying the flag of our once Great Britain is taken to mean you are a xenophobic, racist, meat-head. (Which is totally fcuked up in my opinion)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

bigyellowtractor wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:22 am Unfortunately, with the current political climate over here openly displaying the flag of our once Great Britain is taken to mean you are a xenophobic, racist, meat-head. (Which is totally fcuked up in my opinion)
I am of the opinion that unless you actually are xenophobic or racist, you should be proud to be xenophobic and racist.

What I mean is that there is nothing wrong with patriotism. You should be just as proud of your great country as I am that we defeated you for the opportunity to become even greater..... :p
That idiots twist those terms into meaning something they arent, shouldn't be allowed to change the reality of it.
(I am not endorsing xenophobia or racism, rather I am endorsing standing up against those who use those terms as a crutch for their own agendas.)