Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

Post by jacquesmm »

Recoat with epoxy and try to find better than a one to one epoxy. Resins 2:1 or more are harder.
On the bottom, mix the resin with graphite power, it is inexpensive and very hard.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Thanks Jacques. I used west for the build but only have a little left. The damage was largely to a non structural area. I won’t be putting the outboard there again so I hope to avoid repeats. I am thinking about graphite on the bottom though it’s not easy to find in NZ except art supplies or small bottles for keyholes. I used west 420 Aluminium powder which seems to have given a fair bit of scratch resistance.

Good info about the epoxy.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You had me considering aluminum. What caused those scratches? Logs. Sand. Buildings?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Scratches to the bottom are largely river stones and boat ramps (the small ones that barely mar the surface.) The deepest scratch I am pretty sure is either the time I scrapped over a rock at low tide with two in the boat or scratches from the steel trailer I put it in. The side scratches are definitely that trailer but they don't bother me as it's paint only. The epoxy I put on under is untouched. I covered the whole outside with a coat of aluminium powder epoxy mix.

I have worked on my trailering technique and now have a decent mat and groundsheet to lay it on. No damage since. I am putting it down to teething issues rather than the materials or use of the boat.

The launch wheels work a treat. The skeg hasn't been called upon to take any damage at all yet. I put the wheels down in the water and nosy in to the ramp.

I did buy some flatbar aluminium for $5. 1m by 20mm by 1.6mm. About 3.5' by 1'' by 1/16''. I'll glue it on at the end of the season or earlier if I get around to it.

magoo_za
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by magoo_za »

A nice build, well done!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Cheers. It was definitely a learning experience. I am taking more care with my second build. Bought a quality jigsaw with clean cut blades and decent circular saw. Also a full size set square (probably one of the biggest omisions in the dinghy.)