Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

Post by Jaysen »

I'll be interested to see your opinion with some use. I opted to not use those as I felt they would be problematic for sailing. To get them low enough to provide skeg clearance they would interfere with rudder swing.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

They are more outboard friendly. I have left enough room for a small outboard. I had similar wheels on my previous boat and they were no issue at all. I am hoping that this will avoid dragging the boat too much.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, I'll be interested also. These seemed attractive.
I've found on my boat, which is a bit heavier, that I want the wheels under the center of gravity. That way, you are lifting almost no weight.
Tony

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

For my Smartwave 3500 (3.5m plastic dinghy) I had a weight of 120kg (boat) plus (45kg) motor plus 30kg of gear in the boat. The wheels were off the end. I could lift this and walk a very short distance downhill or on the flat. I used them to drop the boat on a concrete ramp and leave it while parking the car. Then I could go back and time a wave to launch it in. Retrieving I needed to drag the boat just enough out of the surf so it wouldn't be picked up by the waves.

This should be far easier.

An idle idea of mine is to have a 5m boat say a FS17 with two of these at the back, and two along the sides. That way I could launch without getting the trailer wet.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Ordered paint. 1 litre of Cream colored Toplac. I will use an older white oil paint that I have around as an undercoat. It will be mostly sanded anyway. Also ordered a sand anchor, 2m of chain and some Railblaza rod holders. Going to have fun fitting all this in the weekend. See how far I get through it anyway.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I am having second thoughts about undercoating paint.

International have a precote for Toplac but buying it would involve a separate order. I will be painting over fresh well keyed epoxy. Will I require undercoat? What are the pros and cons?

Photo of this weekend progress. Not much to look at. Glued on cleats for the seat Tops, last frame filleted in and checked the seats by dry fitting. Used left over glue thinned with epoxy and colored with 420 to cover the two front frames. One other advantage of the 420 is that I can see where I have been and that the wood is well encapsulated.
IMG_0395.JPG

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

bateau-webmaster wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:45 am Looks good so far. We recently added the aluminum powder to the site. I've been thinking about mixing it with graphite, looks like it could turn out an interesting color, and provide wear and heat resistance. I've added your thread to the build threads page as well!
I hear the aluminum powder is also useful in making things go boom. :roll:

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Netpackrat wrote:I hear the aluminum powder is also useful in making things go boom. :roll:
Yeah, just add a little finely powdered rust, and light it off with a magnesium strip!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It occurs to me that there are some folks on this list who need parental guidance. Don't encourage them. :help: :lol:
Tony

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

bateau-webmaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Netpackrat wrote:I hear the aluminum powder is also useful in making things go boom. :roll:
Yeah, just add a little finely powdered rust, and light it off with a magnesium strip!
A Mapgas plumber's torch will do the trick too. Small terracotta plant-pots make ideal receptacles. :lol: