Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Stuart's D5 Dinghy.

Post by Fuzz »

terrulian wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:38 pm It occurs to me that there are some folks on this list who need parental guidance. Don't encourage them. :help: :lol:
Even the actual adults here have cannons for toys :help:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm
terrulian wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:38 pm It occurs to me that there are some folks on this list who need parental guidance. Don't encourage them. :help: :lol:
Even the actual adults here have cannons for toys :help:
We really don't need to here about you and burritos...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

True story; my father in law was making a fitting out of a piece of titanium on a lathe when he got a little too aggressive and it caught fire. A "class D" extinguisher not being available, there was little to do but let it burn itself out. He reports that coffee is not a suitable extinguishing agent.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
Last weekend I put 400g biaxial fiberglass tape over the rubrail and glued on the front seat. I went over the rubrail with a round off router bit to get a good curve and put the tape over the outside, round the top and down about 100mm into the boat.
After it had all set up I used a rotary tool to sand of the bits overlapping over the outside.

Front last weekend and the rear two today. Fillets much much neater than my first attempt.

Not really happy with the curve on the front seat. I cut it by eye so it's not really fair. I'll leave it be for now. If it bugs me it's an easy fix at a later date.

For fairing the boat I have ordered a liter of west system 410. I was think of not fairing the sole as the texture will help give some grip after I paint. If this isn't a good idea someone tell me.

To do:

Glass over the seats (I have spare cloth.)

Install oarlocks and rodholders (using the Railblaza system: Kiwi designed and brilliant.)

Fair

Undercoat

Topcoat

Install the dinghy wheels on the back.

Splash.

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Current state. Put a second layer of ply for the outboard mainly to give some thickness more than strength. The seats are glassed and I filled the weave. I found out that the west system pump won't reach the bottom of the 10 liter container so I had to tilt it. Nuisance.
IMG_0405.JPG

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
Have been away fishing but managed to get some done the past week. About two steps forward, and one back. In summary, without all the thinking time and mucking about:

1) I had glued on ply brackets but to my chagrin discovered that there was not enough room behind to hold the nut with the spanner I had.

2. So after a bit of pondering I took out the saw and cut them out. Then I drilled holes for the bolts except I had already glued on the rear seat so no way to tighten them up. I set two lower bolts in epoxy using a wooden jig to check the location. Once they had set up to the point they would hold the bracket I put the wheels on. Except they wouldn't fit! I had drilled the holes a little to high and the wheels were rubbing. So I drilled higher holes in the bracket.

3) Took off the wheels so I could fair the transom. One of the bolts came off (epoxy had glued the bolt to the bracket.) After a day of thinking it over I decided to put a hatch in the back. With access now I removed the bolts (hit them with a hammer), drilled out the holes a bit and refilled with thickened epoxy. I cut out two 9mm pieces of ply slightly bigger than the beachmaster bracket and drilled holes using the beachmaster wheels as a jig to locate them. I have glued this on now and it is setting up.

4) The hatch has been cut out, the screw holes drilled to 10mm and filled with epoxy. Duct tape under or behind all holes to stop drips. I will let the epoxy set up then drill a pilot hole and screw into it. I was thinking I would need to stiffen up the area near the hatch a bit (doubling the ply) but it seems solid. I generally sit the other side anyway.

5) I spent a bit of time mucking about with rodholder locations, glued on oarlocks (two layers of ply with a hole drilled, all epoxied), started a rough fair of the interior sides, (I won't do the floor- I like the grip of the glass.)

So after two full days of work I am approximately half a day further in.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

And a couple of fish photos:

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG
Both brown trout (U.K. Native). We also have chinook salmon ( up to 30 pounds) and rainbow trout (up to 6-30 pounds depending on the location)

Both photos taken in the Twizel canals. The fish get to enormous size.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Beautiful Fish! :D

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Worlds biggest trout. No joke. Roughly 30% of rainbows caught go over 10lb with 10% over 20lb.

The canals combine constant fresh cold water, no floods and an endless food supply both natural ( a lot of forage fish) and man made (trout hang under the salmon farm cages) and get fat on the pellets.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

If you only knew how hard we fish to catch a 2lb trout you would think we were crazy! :lol: