FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

Post by Capt UB »

finalfront wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:34 pm So, I'm back at boat building for a short bit and am installing inside seats and stringers. I remember reading about lowering stringers btwn seats to install sole at slightly lower level. My memory is this can be done to 3"? I want lower it to 3" btwn stern seat and mid-seat (and leave full height within the mid-seat and stern seat compartment,-- but then btwn mid-seat and bow it tapers less than 3" already. Can I cut it down in this area at all?
Leave the stringers as is.

I put in a deck, no center bench and lowered the foredeck. I did beef up the rub rail, installed thick inwales and glassed inside and outside the hull fully.
0909181347b~2.jpg
0909181346c~3.jpg
1020181044.jpg
Attachments
0909181744a~2.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Capt UB - Looks great, but I'm leaving in mid seat and putting remote steering. I saw "Bayou.?. " reduced stringer height to 3" (75mm) and it gave him a bit more legroom - I might need this for more comfort around the steering console and behind midseat as well. Can't see how this compromises anything? I had hoped to reduce it a bit in front of midseat as well..
Chime in Jacques, if you're around?

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

You should ask the question in the:

Board Index, Plans and Building, Small Boats

JM checks this and so does Jeff.

JM wants 3" min. on frames, not sure about stringers.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When I was wanting to put a sole in my FS14 JM stated that the stringers and the frames could be cut to 3" but not any less than 3" .
But....
I did not keep the frames at the minimum 3". But added more frames and will have a sole. My frames are closer together than the plans call for and more of them. There is a maximum distance the frames can be apart too. Once the sole is down, the sides will get 3" ribs and a gunwale. The seams were taped with 12 oz. and inside of hull also has 12oz cloth. Still have one more frame to install once I know where the console will go.

You can see where the sole will meet the bottom of the boat at the black line. I cut the top of the stringer and lost a few inches of the taper towards the bow. There is more than 8 feet from frame A to frame E. This will be a one person utility/fishing boat and at times carry two people. WILL BE VERY HEAVY!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You can lower the stringers but the cockpit will not be self bailing anymore.
Such a small boat can not be made self bailing with crew but it can be self bailing empty at the dock. It is a good safety feature.
However, in this case, with all the reinforcements, the boat may be so heavy that it will never be self bailing.
All those reinforcements; double layers, extra stiffeners, are not necessary. They just make the boat heavier.
keep in mind that for a sandwich bottom panel, I can't specify less than 1 layer 12 oz. each side. That is fine for a PH16 or PH18 but overkill for a 14' boat.
I can't use less: I want 12 oz. outside for resistance to puncture and while I could use 6 oz. biaxial inside, we would gain very little in weight and make our life complicated by buying two different types of fabric for the bottom. Plus biaxial 45/45 in 6 oz. is special order.
That bottom is very stiff as designed.

I owned (and still own) several of my designs and always built them lighter than specified. They never broke or cracked.

From what I see in the picture above, that missing floor frame will not be a problem because the sole meets the bottom further back.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Getting very close. Here's pics. Got Honda 20hp 4-stroke remote engine used..
Two questions :
Engine height - 22"shaft, but 20" transom.. manual says anti-ventilation plate should be 0-2 inches below hull.. It's therefore 2" below hull, logically. Is this to low & if so, must I build up transom by filling in with an inch or so of plywood to the existing arc in design.?
Engine weight - 130 lbs. I added extra 3/8 ply to full transom when building, & extra clamping board. I feel it will handle 130 lbs? Do I need alum plate inside to distribute weight (more than the large washers)?

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

20200812_175413.jpg

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Anyone else with thoughts on my last post about transom & engine height & weight? Calling Honda guy tomorrow on why manual says anti-ventilation plate install 0to2 inches below hull.. & why their long shaft is 22"

Here's some pics I finally got sized correctly...
20200816_192625.jpg
20200816_192547.jpg
20200816_192743.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice work!! Jeff

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:44 am Really nice work!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
Any thoughts on my questions in post before pics?
Seems I may have to mount/bolt my engine up 2"off transom to get anti-ventilation plate even with hull.
Tricky.