FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Build - Pics, etc.

Post by Jaysen »

finalfront wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm Thanks Jacques.. endless second guessing.. I suppose I'm not alone, but ugh.
Hardest part is to just "get it done" and stop trying to make a perfect build. The stitch and glue method is VERY forgiving for a first timer but can STILL turn out amazing finishes (Look for Eric1 and his buid for a current perfectionist making it look easy). You really don't need to be incredibly concerned with perfect. You will have lots of opportunity to recover throughout the entire build process.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, not work. Unless you're Eric1. :P
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looks really good. I especially like your bundle of firewood used as a weight to hold a panel in place. :D It is funny what we all grab for a weight when needed.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Browndog wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 pm It is funny what we all grab for a weight when needed.
Just make sure it isn't alive. Neither the dog nor the wife were willing to cooperate. YMMV though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

i'm headed to FG bottom of hull - taping seams seems obvious, but see that one wide sheet isn't wide enough for whole bottom & 6" up sides (tutorial is FS12, so it is there, but not for FS14). so i am overlapping two sheets at keel about 6 " either side of keel, and then down sides and transom. Decided it then makes sense to go full way down sides to rail edge (not just 6" past chine). does this make sense?.. tho i think i may run out of wide FG sheeting when i get to the inside.. ??
thoughts?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I do not think you need to glass all the way up the sides for strength. That being said I like to carry the glass all the way up for a couple of reasons. One you do not have the ridge from stopping the glass short to deal with. And two if you are like me the boat is going to bounce off something and it is nice to have that glass protecting the wood.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am certain that you do not need to fiberglass the whole side: my plans say fiberglass up to 6" above the waterline. More makes the boat unnecessarily heavy and cost more.
Some builders insist on it and in that case, try to use light glass like 3.25 or 4 oz.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

Unfortunately, I can never wait to see a reasonable suggestion - such as lighter weight fg.
I already pressed on & went up whole side with fg sheet.
My vacation time is almost done & I wanted to get hull fiberglassed.
Extra cushion for bumps is good, but extra weight is not. Ugh.
Hope I didn't wreck it.
I assume I'll now run short on fg for inside. Any idea if so, & how much more I'll need.?
Some pics to follow.

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

IMG_20170804_142334.jpg
IMG_20170804_142342.jpg
IMG_20170804_142353.jpg
IMG_20170804_163834.jpg
IMG_20170804_163843.jpg
IMG_20170804_163900.jpg

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

You will be glad you glassed the whole thing. I had enough to do the entire outside and what was required inside when I bought the FG kit for my GF16.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront »

thanks Gary. It looks great, don't see any real bubbles, and pretty smooth, so I'm pleased.
I hope Jacques can forgive me.. I'll stick to plan and just go 6" or so up the inside..
wes